Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Fingers crossed that I had it (immunity research pending before anyone quotes me with an article saying there's no immunity per the WHO and CDC like they've been consistent or reliable anyway).

If it was in FL in December, and deaths were in Cali in February, then I don't see how it wasn't in all sorts of other places.

2nd wave or peak happening now?

seems_a_little_crazy_weird_al.gif

https://www.yahoo.com/news/evidence-suggests-coronavirus-likely-spreading-154500955.html

Yeah, because if nothing else this thing just eradicates nursing home populations unless big precautions are taken and there weren't mass deaths going on at nursing homes in December/January/February.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
If you really want to understand then all you have to do is follow the money. Everything has been corrupted FAR beyond most's imaginations.

There are some informative video's out there that YouTube and VIMEO can't scrub fast enough. Hero's are thrown in jail while others get to spend time on TV. Search for something that starts with Plan and rhymes with epidemic.

Of course you'd believe ******** like that. Not even surprised.

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
Short answer - basically business as usual with certain modifications
It's a more conservative country, but the collective mentality here (throughout most Asian countries, really), allows them to understand the importance of taking care of one another, be it healthcare, social services, working from home, providing for those most at risk (although this could be debated in some respects), etc., which is evident from a cultural, societal, & familial perspective.

[

The culture over there makes a huge difference. I read on wikipedia that the government tracks your cellphone and credit cards so that when a person tests positive, everyone else who was in reasonable contact to that person gets a text to notify them. That helps the contact tracing a bunch. There is a much larger % of Americans that would have a problem with that than the South Koreans. Not saying right or wrong, just different cultures responding differently. Y'all can form your own opinions. I'm not sharing mine. Also those that test positive have to quarantine and download an app to confirm they don't leave their quarantine location. Not hard to work around that and I would appreciate measures to ensure known sick are abiding by quarantine but just the thought of the government requiring you to download an app to track you just because you are sick would bring about legal challenges. Although there are reported cases of police having to monitor covid19 positive Americans because they refused to abide by quarantine. Once again, more govt intrusion in SK but with measurable good affects to fight this coronavirus.

The other thing that has really helped SK with their response was the lessons they learned from SARS1. They had one of the worse outbreaks and they, appropriately, learned from this and stockpiled testing supplies and reagents for potential future outbreaks. They also had plans for contact tracing. They were prepared and adjusted swiftly to how SARS2 behaved vs SARS1. I wish all countries could've have learned from SK how to be prepared but hindsight is 20/20.

Last edited:

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Of course you'd believe ******** like that. Not even surprised.

Oh videos are definitely disappearing. That is a fact.

Many true Hero's usually end up dead or in jail. It's funny that they end up on opposite sides depending on what industry we want to discuss.

spk123

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Des Moines
Anyone got the bullet points of that video? I saw it making the rounds on Facebook yesterday, but it had been pulled from youtube already.

I watched most of it just out of morbid curiosity yesterday - the video itself is pretty insane if you look at it through an even somewhat skeptical lens, but the amount of people I've seen taking it face value is depressing if not terribly surprising. Here's a more or less minute-by-minute rebuttal (via reddit, but with external links) if you do decide to watch it.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
All tests are going to have error. Perhaps Minnesota's test is giving more false negatives. Perhaps Iowa's has more false positives. perhaps the populations are not the same and Iowa has more infections due to unknown reasons, which might include lots of meat packing plants. Lots of variables.
I'll bet the numbers reflect the greater number of medical professionals in Minnesota getting tested and getting tested more than once. And at the other end in Iowa, testing has been targeted to the hotspots.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Anyone got the bullet points of that video? I saw it making the rounds on Facebook yesterday, but it had been pulled from youtube already.
You can find links on Reddit- don't want to post one because it is kind of a moving target so to speak- if I post one it may not be there when you click on it - If you want to view the video I suggest you go to Reddit and search Judy Mikovits

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
The culture over there makes a huge difference. I read on wikipedia that the government tracks your cellphone and credit cards so that when a person tests positive, everyone else who was in reasonable contact to that person gets a text to notify them. That helps the contact tracing a bunch. There is a much larger % of Americans that would have a problem with that than the South Koreans. Not saying right or wrong, just different cultures responding differently. Y'all can form your own opinions. I'm not sharing mine. Also those that test positive have to quarantine and download an app to confirm they don't leave their quarantine location. Not hard to work around that and I would appreciate measures to ensure known sick are abiding by quarantine but just the thought of the government requiring you to download an app to track you just because you are sick would bring about legal challenges. Although there are reported cases of police having to monitor covid19 positive Americans because they refused to abide by quarantine. Once again, more govt intrusion in SK but with measurable good affects to fight this coronavirus.

The other thing that has really helped SK with their response was the lessons they learned from SARS1. They had one of the worse outbreaks and they appropriately learned from this and stock piled testing supplies and reagents for potential future outbreaks. They also had plans for contact tracing. They were prepared and adjusted swiftly to how SARS2 behaved vs SARS1. I wish all countries could've have learned from SK how to be prepared but hindsight is 20/20.
Agree completely, also SK is on a peninsula with NK and DMZ on the north so essentially an island and of course much smaller than the U.S.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
You can find links on Reddit- don't want to post one because it is kind of a moving target so to speak- if I post one it may not be there when you click on it - If you want to view the video I suggest you go to Reddit and search Judy Mikovits
I went to reddit and found a link to a doctors review of the film - very informative and calls this out as conspiracy theory. Believe what you will but once you go down the rabbit hole its hard to find your way out.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

The other thing that has really helped SK with their response was the lessons they learned from SARS1. They had one of the worse outbreaks and they, appropriately, learned from this and stockpiled testing supplies and reagents for potential future outbreaks. They also had plans for contact tracing. They were prepared and adjusted swiftly to how SARS2 behaved vs SARS1. I wish all countries could've have learned from SK how to be prepared but hindsight is 20/20.
I think just the fact that they get something like 99% compliance with people wearing masks makes a huge difference. You can't mention wearing masks in public here without someone getting all 'MERICA! about it.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
I went to reddit and found a link to a doctors review of the film - very informative and calls this out as conspiracy theory. Believe what you will but once you go down the rabbit hole its hard to find your way out.
Just provided info on how to watch the video did not mean for it to be an endorsement of the content

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Agree completely, also SK is on a peninsula with NK and DMZ on the north so essentially an island and of course much smaller than the U.S.

So kind of like NYC, except it has that Stamford/Bridgeport DMZ buffer separating it from New Haven.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
SK was on top of scanning incoming people from other countries, testing, quarantining positive cases, contact tracing to go along with wearing masks and cell phone tracing from the very start. They are still in the initial containment stage since they never let it get out of control into wide-spread community transmission.

They have had it contained from the beginning except from a single person who ignored quarantine orders not once but twice after testing positive and went to a mega-church service. That one person (Patient 31) was the root of 3k+ of their cases...

Reactions: Halincandenza
Status
Not open for further replies.