I might have COVID-19

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I think I had it in February but I've heard the "I think I have" is a really common thing among people.

firm believer this was around in jan/feb and the wife and i had it.

one of the worst colds she has had.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Any Veterinarian who gives you a shot of Ivermectin won't be practicing much longer. Any medication requires forms to fill out.

Self-administration of a particular dewormer is one of the "wonder medicines" for desperate cancer patients these days. Lots of stories of its efficacy, but probably no one with a license actually prescribing it.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
This might help,

wpid-article-1272610907307-095ace55000005dc-487545_636x300.jpg

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Real good possibility.

I do QA work at a food factory. Most of the time, I sit at a desk in front of a computer, but I do have to occasionally collect samples on the lines. Last Thursday, I spent an hour on a production line. I was sent home early today because three people on that line just tested positive for COVID-19.

We have been lucky here in Iowa, lucky enough to dismiss this as mostly being "New York" or whatever. That isn't the case. It is here in Iowa now, and will get worse. We are nowhere near peak here.

I feel fine right now, but I will take it easy for the next few days just in case.

That sucks :( Do people on the production line wear masks? Studies show that greatly reduces the chance of spreading it.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I think I had it in February but I've heard the "I think I have" is a really common thing among people.

I used to think this was wishful thinking, but our CEO tested positive for the antibodies last week. He had a headache, fever for 1 day and a slight cold in early February. He is in the Los Angeles area, so I don't know how widespread it was beyond there at the time, but they do say L.A. was likely one of the first places it settled.

I had the same thing around the second week of February. Although my cough lasted a lot longer. I felt like absolute hell with a terrible headache for over a week, then the cough kicked in, a deep one with a lot of goo in my lungs.

It was still at a time when I thought, there was no way I came in contact to it yet, since I'm in the burbs of Chicago. But my daughter was in the IHSA state bowling qualifications at that time, so I was packed in with a ton of people every Saturday for 3 weeks straight from the end of Jan. to the 1st week of February, so if anyone had it at at one of those tournaments, it wouldn't surprise me if I got it as well.

At this point, I sitll think, for myself, it's wishful thinking that it was actually COVID, but I know other families that were at the tournaments as well, who also had the worst colds of their lives. I don't know how accessible the antibody tests are here, but I am tempted to check into it, just to see.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I'm strongly questioning whether I had it as well back in March. It's tough for me to know, because my wife went to urgent care few days prior to when I came down with symptoms and the NP said she was certain it was Influenza A, but they never tested. She had a fever of 103 and was pretty sick. I started out with some real bad heart burn and migraine-like headaches that progressed to sore throat and a heavy cough. Never really felt like I ran a fever, but had chills pretty bad. Didn't have any wheezing or felt out of breath. Maybe a little a week in when I walked the stairs some. I slept a lot and stayed home for what I think was easily 10 days. It was first or 2nd week of March before many had a grasp of what we were dealing with.

I've only gone to the store twice, as we've done the online grocery pickup. But my wife is a nurse, and her patients have been pretty dumb with not being truthful (parents) and idiotic on their appointments at the hospital. So all in all, I've probably already been exposed to it, but won't know until I get an antibody test. I don't know how my body would handle it either given it's immuno suppressed and I've never had the flu (until whatever I had).

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Best of luck and well wishes being sent your way.

I saw something a couple of days ago (maybe it was a thread here on CF) that the highest growth rate of cases in the country is now in Sioux City, IA, with Waterlo/Cedar Falls and Des Moines in the top 10.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Sucks but hopefully you don't get anything severe and your worst problem is boredom. Also good job for recognizing to stay away from people and not infecting others.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
This raises some comments around something that has made me crazy since this started. 99% of the discussion around actions has been around slowing spread. While that was the urgent first action to keep hospital resources from being overwhelmed it looks like that is on target to be accomplished in most places. While still important to keep that pace slow for that reason and MAYBE the chances of drugs that could help symptoms to be proven, it seems the likelihood most of us contract it at some point in the next several months is very high. The likelihood of a vaccine by then is next to zero, and safe, effective drugs to treat symptoms is not something to bank on in the next few months.

There has been very little talk by officials and medical experts to the masses about something that is far more impactful, which is boosting your immune system. Diet, exercise, lots of sleep and loading some key vitamins and minerals are all important and might save your life if you get this. There are also plenty of other things you can do.

Keep in mind you could be in great health normally and be having a bad week of diet and sleep when you contract. That lapse might be the difference in having it be dangerous to you.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
This raises some comments around something that has made me crazy since this started. 99% of the discussion around actions has been around slowing spread. While that was the urgent first action to keep hospital resources from being overwhelmed it looks like that is on target to be accomplished in most places. While still important to keep that pace slow for that reason and MAYBE the chances of drugs that could help symptoms to be proven, it seems the likelihood most of us contract it at some point in the next several months is very high. The likelihood of a vaccine by then is next to zero, and safe, effective drugs to treat symptoms is not something to bank on in the next few months.

There has been very little talk by officials and medical experts to the masses about something that is far more impactful, which is boosting your immune system. Diet, exercise, lots of sleep and loading some key vitamins and minerals are all important and might save your life if you get this. There are also plenty of other things you can do.

Keep in mind you could be in great health normally and be having a bad week of diet and sleep when you contract. That lapse might be the difference in having it be dangerous to you.

Agree, I do find it perplexing that self-health care hasn't been a huge topic. Regular sun exposure is huge. I try to keep up on eating enough healthy stuff, but on the side I'm regularly taking Vitamin D3, a ZMA/probiotic/melatonin before bed, and omega 3's too. I figure it's worthwhile for me to.

A recent presser by a couple Drs online point that most people are doing the opposite of what they recommend on building up an immune system. Guess we'll see.

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
Real good possibility.

I do QA work at a food factory. Most of the time, I sit at a desk in front of a computer, but I do have to occasionally collect samples on the lines. Last Thursday, I spent an hour on a production line. I was sent home early today because three people on that line just tested positive for COVID-19.

We have been lucky here in Iowa, lucky enough to dismiss this as mostly being "New York" or whatever. That isn't the case. It is here in Iowa now, and will get worse. We are nowhere near peak here.

I feel fine right now, but I will take it easy for the next few days just in case.
Odds are you will be ok. I was exposed in early March as were several others and no one contracted the virus. The guy who had it survived after a very serious illness.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Americans have been revolting against these types of things for years and years and any suggestion to do something like walk for 60 minutes a day and eat lean meals (that can be cheaper than most anything else that isn't healthy) would be impeding their liberties....so they can rely on others to pay their medical bills in the future when it catches up to them.

Look at the comparisons to heart disease deaths. They're ACCEPTING that that many people die each year from it. It's NORMAL. People are ACCEPTING that that many people die from auto crashes, so they go back to the NORMAL of driving like idiots.

I'm repeating but this is a great learning opportunity for improving patience, health, financial responsibility and even the understanding that you don't have to be externally or superficially entertained or be surrounded by people to be content, but at this point it's not going to happen.

Reactions: CapnCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
OP I hope you come out OK with this and that there's a plan for your work to help the situation.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
My girlfriend was basically told by her doctor she likely had it, but obviously they weren’t going to test her as she doesn’t have any pre existing conditions. She had a dry cough and a slight fever. So the doctor gave her a note to quarantine for 14 days, so I quarantined for 14 right along with her as I was possibly exposed.

Reactions: isutrevman

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I just kind of assume my wife and I have it/have had it by now.

It's everywhere in hospitals.

It burns like wildfire through retirement communities and prisons. So many of those sorts of patients coming into the ER and coughing it up everywhere when intubated.

Did you and your wife get it in a prison retirement hospital?

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
If you show any symptoms, just assume you have it. The chances of getting tested are slim. My brother who lives in Ames has had a fever for almost four weeks. They won't test him because he's not in the "at risk" group. He's been feeling much better this week, but his fever will still spike up once or twice a day.

Do you have what you need for quarantine? I'm happy to send you stuff if you are short on essentials. I bet CF can rally too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron