I might have COVID-19

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Real good possibility.

I do QA work at a food factory. Most of the time, I sit at a desk in front of a computer, but I do have to occasionally collect samples on the lines. Last Thursday, I spent an hour on a production line. I was sent home early today because three people on that line just tested positive for COVID-19.

We have been lucky here in Iowa, lucky enough to dismiss this as mostly being "New York" or whatever. That isn't the case. It is here in Iowa now, and will get worse. We are nowhere near peak here.

I feel fine right now, but I will take it easy for the next few days just in case.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Take care of yourself the next couple weeks, and hopefully you’re one of the mild cases if you get it at all.

Keep us updated

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I can't be the only one that thought this wad another "gotcha" thread title from the OP, right?

In any case, good luck with your possible exposure.

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
That sucks.

Be sure to quarantine for two weeks or until you get test results back. Just make sure they are paying you and if you can work from home, offer to do so

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Real good possibility.

I do QA work at a food factory. Most of the time, I sit at a desk in front of a computer, but I do have to occasionally collect samples on the lines. Last Thursday, I spent an hour on a production line. I was sent home early today because three people on that line just tested positive for COVID-19.

We have been lucky here in Iowa, lucky enough to dismiss this as mostly being "New York" or whatever. That isn't the case. It is here in Iowa now, and will get worse. We are nowhere near peak here.

I feel fine right now, but I will take it easy for the next few days just in case.

Do you know if you will be able to be tested? Hoping for the best.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Best of luck to you.

I'd be interested to hear your experience using TestIowa.com.
Hopefully you are able to get tested.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I just kind of assume my wife and I have it/have had it by now.

It's everywhere in hospitals.

It burns like wildfire through retirement communities and prisons. So many of those sorts of patients coming into the ER and coughing it up everywhere when intubated.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I think I had it in February but I've heard the "I think I have" is a really common thing among people.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Real good possibility.

Hoping you feel better soon. Those working in food and meat processing facilities are in a tough spot.

I live in upstate New York, but the majority of my family lives in Iowa. It has been very interesting to compare and contrast responses from each respective state, and also general changes in behavior. My family members think it so bad in other cities and states without realizing the cases per capita are even WORSE in many counties in Iowa. New York is now past its peak, but Iowa should be reaching it in 7-10 days- It is going even get worse! For example, Louisa county is similar in per capita cases to counties surrounding NYC. My understanding is that the amount of testing occurring in Iowa pales in comparison to New York State too. Hoping Iowa gets this right and people take this seriously. upload_2020-4-27_12-3-40.png

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Hoping you feel better soon. Those working in food and meat processing facilities are in a tough spot.

I live in upstate New York, but the majority of my family lives in Iowa. It has been very interesting to compare and contrast responses from each respective state, and also general changes in behavior. My family members think it so bad in other cities and states without realizing the cases per capita are even WORSE in many counties in Iowa. New York is now past its peak, but Iowa should be reaching it in 7-10 days- It is going even get worse! For example, Louisa county is similar in per capita cases to counties surrounding NYC. My understanding is that the amount of testing occurring in Iowa pales in comparison to New York State too. Hoping Iowa gets this right and people take this seriously. View attachment 71498

Testing isn't accurate when you compare state to state and even less so when you compare a state like NY. I have a feeling that rural NY is a lot more like Iowa once you take out NYC. NY has 87 deaths per 100k. Iowa has 4 per 100k but like you said, Iowa hasn't hit its the peak yet.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Real good possibility.

I do QA work at a food factory.... Last Thursday, I spent an hour on a production line. I was sent home early today because three people on that line just tested positive for COVID-19.....

Hope you continue to be asyptomatic.

Curious what your company's policy toward 19 is. Can anyone take just time off if they feel they have it without accumulating 'un-excused' absences?

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Testing isn't accurate when you compare state to state and even less so when you compare a state like NY. I have a feeling that rural NY is a lot more like Iowa once you take out NYC. NY has 87 deaths per 100k. Iowa has 4 per 100k but like you said, Iowa hasn't hit its the peak yet.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html
I live in rural NY. The NY county that I now live in (and all surrounding contiguous counties) currently has lower per capita cases and mortality rate than Cedar county (where I am from) and its surrounding counties.

Agreed, comparing states is a poor comparison since there is much so heterogeneity within a state. Looking at county level data provides a little more context however.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Real good possibility.

I am sorry to hear that, best wishes to you.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Sorry to hear. Probably exposed. Ck out supply of treatment drugs at your doctor in case you need them and symptoms getting worse. The doctor can fill you in on names etc They may or may not use the newer treatments that are effective for most and been on market for years, Prescription only. ff they do not handle i would hunt up new doctor or ask them who does use them. Make sure using Zinc sulfate also as the Zinc is needed for better efficacy. May not be available in your area.
If not available you can get oral ivermectin (dewormer) from veterinarian. That has some positive tests in Australia. We have the sheep product on hand. My wife has cancer and being treated with chemo now so immune system is shot. Actually we would take both. Side effects of this are negligible. But anyone can have some or dont handle taste.
Any Veterinarian who gives you a shot of Ivermectin won't be practicing much longer. Any medication requires forms to fill out.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Real good possibility.

Hope you don't exhibit any symptoms and are ok. But there is a big difference between having it and being exposed to it. Hopefully you are the latter.

I have a coworker who "probably" had it (per her doctor since they wouldn't test her) and a friend in Oklahoma who has tested positive. And they had VERY different experiences. My coworker had mild symptoms for 3 days or so and is fine and healthy. My friend in OK is having a terrible time shaking it (she's going on Day 5 with strong symptoms). She is in her 30s, healthy (recently lost 100+ lbs), and her breathing problems have been the worst part.

Crazy that people are having such different experiences with it.