Mike Gundy COVID Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I would like people who are able to understand science enough to not have to put blnd faith into science.

Seriously people this is not the Black Death.

no one said it was.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Gundy was the level of genius that I expected.
And his choice of news sources just topped that off.
I thought it was pretty well-known already that he was in nutjob territory, but that certainly solidified it.

Leach is out there, too.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Clearly trying to appease folks in Oklahoma....but HORRIBLE take......if you don't know what you are talking about, don't talk or get someone to give you some bullet points of things to say and NOT say.

It's no secret football is the bank account for college athletics, but to say it in the way he did further made it seem like athletes are the free labor for us to use, no matter potential harm to them. Replace "virus" in his comments with "concussions" or "broken bones" or anything other sports injury and it's even more absurd sounding.

I have seen this "take" from others.....can you imagine if someone "jumped the gun" and got the team together....and one or two of them got symptoms and it went south on them? Or it killed their parents?

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
If you are a coach, and you get asked about the virus, use the below link as your guideline. Although Gundy's people have been downplaying and vilifying Dr's and Scientist and Academia for years, essentially his take is "ask a football manager about football, ask dr's about the virus. why do people care what I think about this?" Take it away Mr. Klopp:

Reactions: Cycsk

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
When I first starting reading it I thought maybe he was headed the "it's safer to have the kids here" route. But boy was that not the route he wound up going.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Not that football programs really have anything to do with the University other than they share a logo and real estate, but this guy is supposed to be an educator. AN EDUCATOR.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I have been a huge fan of Gundy because he is a straight shooter and I will always appreciate that. However, this makes me appreciate Campbell so much more. The longer this draws out, the better I feel it is for our program and programs like ours. It will show which programs have true leadership that is passed down to the student athlete and which programs have one leader. Idk why, but I am expecting our best season yet because Campbell has been preaching from day one of how to battle adversity.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Do you think Gundy was accurate in saying that 18-22 year olds have the ability to fight off the virus?

Do you think it's ok to put money in front of peoples' lives for entertainment purposes, which is the only thing football is to people that watch it?

I don't think we're going to go the direction of having games without students on campus, but if we do, it's time to pay those kids as professionals. This whole idea is one more chance to drop this whole amateur charade.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't think we're going to go the direction of having games without students on campus, but if we do, it's time to pay those kids as professionals. This whole idea is one more chance to drop this whole amateur charade.

Yeah, Gundy isn't remotely talking about student athletes. He's talking about a massive business.

At no point does he say it's worth the risk of infection for kids to get in the classrooms together and learning and studying. The general student population is young too.

The same thing can be said for the churches who now want to be grouped with hospitals, drug stores and grocery stores as essential businesses. OK, get taxed like a grocery store.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneErik

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I think it's also a chance to take a good look at how much we pay people that are literally showing to be vital to our ability to survive, but yes, if we're going to throw college athletes out there for our entertainment while they risk getting sick, might as well pay them.

You may not be saying that, but that's my view on it.

After this carnage over the next few months and many 18-22 year olds die or come close to it, I'd wonder how much desire college athletes have to risk it.

If football players are skipping bowls, what's their response to something like Covid-19, which could damage their lungs and not allow them to play ever again?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Yeah, Gundy isn't remotely talking about student athletes. He's talking about a massive business.

At no point does he say it's worth the risk of infection for kids to get in the classrooms together and learning and studying. The general student population is young too.

The same thing can be said for the churches who now want to be grouped with hospitals, drug stores and grocery stores as essential businesses. OK, get taxed like a grocery store.
It's kind of saying the quiet part out loud, whether that was his intention or not.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think it's also a chance to take a good look at how much we pay people that are literally showing to be vital to our ability to survive, but yes, if we're going to throw college athletes out there for our entertainment while they risk getting sick, might as well pay them.

You may not be saying that, but that's my view on it.

After this carnage over the next few months and many 18-22 year olds die or come close to it, I'd wonder how much desire college athletes have to risk it.

If football players are skipping bowls, what's their response to something like Covid-19, which could damage their lungs and not allow them to play ever again?

I didn't say it, but I sure don't disagree.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Some of the emoting in this thread feels just like an in game thread... Outrage! BAM! Anger! POW! over-the top-takes about imagined catastrophic consequences for decisions made! BOOM!, insults to other posters! SWAT!, hate for the other team etc. etc. etc. Makes me pine for football all the more.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Some of the emoting in this thread feels just like an in game thread... Outrage! BAM! Anger! POW! over-the top-takes about imagined catastrophic consequences for decisions made! BOOM!, insults to other posters! SWAT!, hate for the other team etc. etc. etc. Makes me pine for football all the
more.

Did you just get done watching an old Batman show?
Do agree with your post though.

Reactions: norcalcy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron