***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I'll play - If BPM of a transfer doesn't matter according to you and @CyTwins, what was the following players box score rating the season before ISU:

Shayok
Nixon
Bolton
Talley
Jacobson
Box score ratings are generally relative- the first order signal to use is where that player ranks on his team.

Like many people have told you, this isn’t the hill to die on with Gomez.

Recruiting is full of misses, reaches, and misfits. Gomez could be that. It’s also full of guys that end up successfully playing key roles though, and Gomez could be that!

There aren’t many immediate eligible guys out there with significantly better likelihood of impact, but we are in on a couple of them.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
From a talent evaluation standpoint they're very solid. I question their X's/O's and character judgement.
I trust our coaches in Plan A-C offensive talent evaluation.

Spring/contingency recruiting is about fit and putting the puzzle of incomplete players together to form a competent team. I don’t trust that. And I don’t trust their defense evaluations, or rather perhaps rather they value that enough overall. Sure, some guys can play the Georges role, but you need the Hogue types too!

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
After watching their highlights, I think Aiken should be priority #1. He looks like a mini Steph Curry out there! Turner looks good, but doesn't appear to be extremely athletic or have A+ shooting.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The offers are the fruits of his labor. He hasn't improved much since he came to Iowa State, these offers reflect that and likely reflect his work ethic.

Totally unfair. You don't know crap about his work ethic. It could just be that he was poorly evaluated. He blew up after one big weekend on the AAU circuit and got a lot of offers. He didn't pan out here, but neither you or I know anything about him personally.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Totally unfair. You don't know crap about his work ethic. It could just be that he was poorly evaluated. He blew up after one big weekend on the AAU circuit and got a lot of offers. He didn't pan out here, but neither you or I know anything about him personally.

Several of those closest to the program on here have said that Lewis and Griffin were disappointments on the intangible side more than anything else. Neither of them lacked size or athleticism... but neither of them had much of a feel for the game.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Breaking: Arkansas has reached out to grad transfer Purdue Haarms. Sorry, couldn’t resist. How many more openings do they have yet? (Guess I could say that about Gonzaga, tho, too)

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Justin Pierce: Considered one of the top GTs (a much more highly thought of GT than Gomez) last year from a small school. PER of 20 or over his So and Jr. years. At UNC had a PER of around 11 and averaged 5pts and 4 rbs.
Christian Keeling: Another top GT last year from a small school. PER of 23, 19 and 23 in this three years before UNC. PER of around 10 or so at UNC and averaged 6 points a game.
They were considered key pieces and huge additions. And they were not good on a bad UNC team. If that was a good team they would have barely played.

Here is another good example of someone moving up from a crappy conference. Joe Cremo: Was a stud at Albany and rated as one of the top few GTs a couple years ago. Did nothing at Nova.
Rough year for Roy!

The takeaway here is only that it didn’t workout at UNC last year. Likely more inherent to a program like UNC needing to resort to GT than GTs.

Cremo was the 7th man on the Big East. Many are hoping for Gomez to be something like that (rotation or role player) on just a bubble team. Great example!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
After watching their highlights, I think Aiken should be priority #1. He looks like a mini Steph Curry out there! Turner looks good, but doesn't appear to be extremely athletic or have A+ shooting.

Aiken is basically the only guy left on our list I actually care about. Get him and I might change my expectations for next year. Don't, well meh.

Reactions: Halincandenza

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Again, if a player wants to come here, we take them.

You believe the same for Cordell Pemsl? Not on our team...OK, MAYBE if he promised to jack Connor in a game we would let him suit up for one...then, come to think of it...I'll pass.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
So you would be disappointed with Carton?
Aiken is basically the only guy left on our list I actually care about. Get him and I might change my expectations for next year. Don't, well meh.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Could I be wrong? Absolutely. But results typically don't lie. There is a difference between working hard and thinking you're working hard.

Also, he had a work ethic in high school for sure. Go look up the stories of the work he put in to become a wing in the college game. I don't think that same work ethic translated to the college game.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Individual defensive metrics are always meaningless. If you play on a good defensive team, your individual numbers will be good (even if you're not a good defender), and vice-versa.

Only way to tell if someone is a good defender or not is via film. Guessing none of us have broken down his film enough to know. I'll trust the staff.

Well let's see just how "meaningless" the individual box score stat is. I pulled the rating for each of our transfers the last few years the season prior to coming to Iowa State from Sports Reference:

Shayok: 4.8
Jacobson: 4.4
Weiler-Babb: 3.1
Burton: 2.0
Bolton: 1.1
Bowie: 0.7
Gomez: -0.2
Nixon: -1
Buggs: -1.1
Talley: -2.6
Holden: -3.4
Beverly: -3.6

Is it fair to say that this stat does in fact represent a fairly accurate prediction of how they will perform here?

@CyTwins @WhoISthis

Reactions: Halincandenza