Casting Couch: Best and Worst people casted

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Cameron Diaz in Gangs of New York almost destroyed an entire amazing movie.

Everyone else in that movie is wonderfully cast.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I couldnt get over the accent Steve Carell used in The Big Short. It was way to similar to some of his impression voices on The Office and I couldnt take anything he said seriously.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
OK, I'm gonna say the role of Jack Reacher should have gone to the Rock, not Tom Cruise. The book version of Reacher is that he's a huge dude that dwarfs everyone and nobody wants to mess with. Not sure how they got Tom Cruise out of that description, but oh well.

But yet they always mess with him anyway. Otherwise the Reacher books would be about a chapter long.

I was going to say Tom Cruise as Reacher as well. But I disagree about the Rock as Reacher instead. Both the Rock and Cruise are too "pretty" to play Reacher, Reacher is described as a giant, but is also supposed to be average looking. It will be interesting to see who plays him going forward because they are planning on making more movies.

I'd say Liam Niesen is closer to the Reacher I have pictured in my head, if Niesen were about 4 inches taller and about 40 pounds heavier. Definitely not that midget Cruise. (what is he 5-5?) I don't know who I'd cast as Reacher.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
John Goodman as Babe Ruth. I literally LOLed at some scenes.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Random thoughts on movie casting:

Great Casting:
1. Thought Heath Ledger would be a disaster when I heard he was going to be the joker and he was phenomenal.
2. Jeff Bridges as The Dude....epic.
3. Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly (and he wasn't originally supposed to have the role)
4. Tom Hanks in The Terminal....you forget he's not actually of Russian decent in real life.

Terrible to Meh Casting:
1. Toby Maquire was average at best as Spiderman.
2. Steve Carrell in Dan in Real Life. Was hard to get my head around it while the Office was going on.
3. Maggie Gyllenhaal in the Dark Knight. Just didn't do it for me especially when the role was portrayed by Katie Holmes.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Random thoughts on movie casting:

Great Casting:
1. Thought Heath Ledger would be a disaster when I heard he was going to be the joker and he was phenomenal.
2. Jeff Bridges as The Dude....epic.
3. Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly (and he wasn't originally supposed to have the role)
4. Tom Hanks in The Terminal....you forget he's not actually of Russian decent in real life.

Terrible to Meh Casting:
1. Toby Maquire was average at best as Spiderman.
2. Steve Carrell in Dan in Real Life. Was hard to get my head around it while the Office was going on.
3. Maggie Gyllenhaal in the Dark Knight. Just didn't do it for me especially when the role was portrayed by Katie Holmes.
Maggie G. was an awful choice. I have no idea what they were thinking when they casted her to replace Katie Holmes.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Kevin Costner belongs in both categories:
Great Casting: "Dances with Wolves"
Awful Casting: as Robin Hood in "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves"

Another perfect casting was Pat Morita as Mr. Miyagi in "The Karate Kid"

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This movie has been on a bit recently, and I think fits well here.

Matthew Broderick in Election was perfectly cast.

It's hilarious because he is, in a lot of ways, Mr. Rooney in the movie (but as the protagonist).

Reese was amazing in that movie, too - and I'm not always her biggest fan! She embodied Tracy Flick.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Also, I am a huge John Candy fan. Just about any John Hughes film with him in it I consider a great casting job. BUT, my favorite Hughes movie is "Planes, Trains & Automobiles." You would have a hard time finding a better casting job for this film than the comedic duo of Candy (the spontaneous & endearing free-loader) and Steve Martin (the uptight & "anal" businessman)!!

Reactions: Angie

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You tell me who could've brought this kind of magic to 'Showgirls' other than Elizabeth Berkley...

source.gif

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You tell me who could've brought this kind of magic to 'Showgirls' other than Elizabeth Berkley...

source.gif

Good thing she threw that elbow out there. Really helped the knife out.

Ya know, instead of just lifting the knife up and pushing a button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I really think Tom Hanks is always almost perfectly cast.

And he basically carried films like 'A League of Their Own'.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I don't have anything against her, but I hated Jane Lynch as the voice of the hot, soldier lady in "Wreck-It Ralph". The voice didn't match the character at all (sounded too old), in my opinion, and her voice is just too recognizable, so every time she spoke, it reminded me it was her.