Casting Couch: Best and Worst people casted

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Someone beat me to Sofia Coppola in GFIII. She almost wrecked the entire film by herself.

Another worst vote: Tom Hanks in Valkyrie. First, I don't see Cruise as a German officer. Second, every other German officer in the film has a heavy German accent. Except Cruise. Good Lord.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Costner was a pretty big draw at that time I think. The failed English accent after about the first 5 minutes of the movie is what makes it classic. Add in that Christian Slater has a pretty perfect early 90s haircut, the wind chimed hook of 'Everything I do' throughout and a movie that's....action? dark comedy? and it's badly great.

Alan Rickman was actually perfect as the sheriff.

IDK.....I don't remember Costner doing anything as an actor that would be considered even a slight reach, except possible Mr. Brooks. Every other character is just Kevin being Kevin.

Compare his roles to those of Hanks, who has been an overgrown teenage boy, a WWII sergeant, a dimwitted man, a gay AIDS sufferer, etc, etc, etc. And even though Hanks' personality shines through, none of those characters are even remotely similar.

Reactions: Angie

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
IDK.....I don't remember Costner doing anything as an actor that would be considered even a slight reach, except possible Mr. Brooks. Every other character is just Kevin being Kevin.

Compare his roles to those of Hanks, who has been an overgrown teenage boy, a WWII sergeant, a dimwitted man, a gay AIDS sufferer, etc, etc, etc. And even though Hanks' personality shines through, none of those characters are even remotely similar.

Hanks would be my overall #1 seed in greatest actor of the modern age pool. Who would your other #1's be? Denzel? Clint Eastwood? De Niro if we lop off the last ten years?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I'm not saying Costner is or was a great actor. He's pretty much the same personality in every movie.

But he was pretty big at the time of RHPOT. This was on the heals of Field of Dreams, Dances With Wolves, Bull Durham, etc.

Our conversation was built around how good/bad that movie was, and in part because of how bad Costner's acting was like lacking an English accent.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Kevin Bacon was excellent in "Murder in the First" Very convincing.

Also Leonardo DiCaprio in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape"

Reactions: Angie

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron