Friday OT #2 - I Wanna Go Back And Do It All Over

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
If you're old enough to have a career and be established - if you could go back and have a "do-over," is there any job you wish you had pursued instead of the one you did? Is there anything that anyone has ever told you that you were really good at that would make a fun job?

If you're not old enough to have a career yet - what have people told you that you should do with your life?

I don't hate where I'm at, and I think I'm good at it - but I've been told that I should have been a lawyer. I don't know that I want to deal with people that much. Two things that I really, really enjoy doing for ourselves and friends are trip planning and interior design. I don't know that I could do it every single day, however - I need something more technical and logic-driven as my primary job.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
All through childhood I wanted to be an adventurer. Not sure what career would have provided such dreams for sure but that’s what I’d do. Now I sit at a desk fixing people’s computer problems. Seems less fulfilling. I have a bit of a Gypsy soul, so my career is tough for me and not being able to travel currently has got me bouncing off the walls.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I spent a few summers working up in the BWCA with the USFS (before I was able to get a summer contract where I teach) and spending that amount of time in the woods was wonderful.
I would go back and do that I think.

I've also thought about engineering (I enjoy the problem solving aspects).

Reactions: hlb76 and madguy30

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If you're old enough to have a career and be established - if you could go back and have a "do-over," is there any job you wish you had pursued instead of the one you did? Is there anything that anyone has ever told you that you were really good at that would make a fun job?

If you're not old enough to have a career yet - what have people told you that you should do with your life?

I don't hate where I'm at, and I think I'm good at it - but I've been told that I should have been a lawyer. I don't know that I want to deal with people that much. Two things that I really, really enjoy doing for ourselves and friends are trip planning and interior design. I don't know that I could do it every single day, however - I need something more technical and logic-driven as my primary job.

First job i would have stayed at longer, bigger paycheck. Was a loan officer. Left due to a conflict with another employee who had seniority and made everyone's lives miserable. Although, my life would have been way different, because I wouldn't date anyone from the town I lived in so I would be married (possibly) to someone else and my kids would be different. So that would be a non-starter.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
All through childhood I wanted to be an adventurer. Not sure what career would have provided such dreams for sure but that’s what I’d do. Now I sit at a desk fixing people’s computer problems. Seems less fulfilling. I have a bit of a Gypsy soul, so my career is tough for me and not being able to travel currently has got me bouncing off the walls.

Yeah, it's a bad combo to be stuck at a desk AND not to be doing anything different with your off time. "Stir crazy" is not a good place to be!

I spent a few summers working up in the BWCA with the USFS (before I was able to get a summer contract where I teach) and spending that amount of time in the woods was wonderful.

We've got family who work for the National Park Service, and they just love it!

Reactions: Entropy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yeah if I had the smarts I'd love to spend time studying or working in forests and water and get paid for it.

I got into some stuff about nature and what it literally, scientifically does and wish I could figure out a way to do something with that, that magically paid me like my current job with the same bennies.

Even some form of fishing guide or something...but my idea of fishing would more likely be very different than what my clients wanted.

I was a drivers ed instructor for roughly ten years until they cut my position due to 'reorganizing' (corporate slang for 'this isn't making money, we're scrapping it') but I may some day look back at that as the best job I ever had. It's way easier than people think and the simplicity of 'here's the framework, it's up to you to use it, take care' was pretty cut and dry but still useful.

Reactions: Angie and Entropy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Job insecurity and horrible travel be damned: Professional baseball umpire

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
My brother is an anthropologist. He's been in remote places all over the world. Lived with a tribe in Madagascar for 3 months. Stuff like that.

Reactions: bos and Angie

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I went through most of college as an education major before switching majors and deciding to go to law school. If I could do it all over I think I would have stayed in education in hopes of becoming a principal.

Reactions: Angie

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
During when I was in school, I began looking for internships and jobs during the 2008 financial crisis. I graduated in fall of 2010 as a reference. I did get a job before graduating and started after I graduated.

For several semesters, a recruiter from Boeing had remembered me to the point she would call me over when I walked by. This was the business career fair, so their booth was that busy. In any case, I did on campus interviews for several semesters, but Boeing was committed to recruiting locally (Northwest region). So I could never break through, even with her help.

So a couple months during my first job, I got an email from this recruiter asking if I was interested in a job. Thinks we're going well so far where I was at, so I said I wasn't interested. Looking back, I wish I would have at least interviewed for the job just to see what would have happened. I think Boeing would have been a better environment from a learning perspective that would have set me up better for a career in finance than my first job. I was at my first job for 3 and a half years and never got to where I wanted. 10 years later, I finally got a job as a financial analyst. I think Boeing would have happened a lot sooner.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
After I decided that meteorology wasn't going to work out and was trying to figure out what to do now my dad suggested transferring to the University of Dubuque for the professional pilot program. Sometimes I wonder where I would have ended up but at the same time would I enjoy flying as much if it was for a job compared to a hobby/passion?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I don't mind the career I am at right now, but I wish I would have pursued something more satisfying. Also should have taken college A LOT more seriously.

I would have like to be a marine biologist but my parents said it was unrealistic.

That or something that had to do with water design, small or large scale. Like designing water features or civil engineering work on water projects.

I'm a water baby if you can't see the theme.

Reactions: Cybball37 and Angie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Job insecurity and horrible travel be damned: Professional baseball umpire

There's a lot of the job that I would hate as a ref or ump, but the pure satisfaction of throwing someone out of the contest has to be pure bliss.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't mind the career I am at right now, but I wish I would have pursued something more satisfying. Also should have taken college A LOT more seriously.

I would have like to be a marine biologist but my parents said it was unrealistic.

That or something that had to do with water design, small or large scale. Like designing water features or civil engineering work on water projects.

I'm a water baby if you can't see the theme.

Aren't you in luck. ANYONE can be a marine biologist. Anyone.

b5nG0e.gif

Cybball37

Dec 11, 2015
Central Iowa
I'm good at what I do, and it pays the bills. But, I would have enjoyed something in the DNR or a wildlife biologist. Love the outdoors and being able to do that kind of work I think was my calling. I'm constantly told I should have done that. :) Would have loved to play pro-baseball, but that's not something that was really up to me.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Without realizing how extensive the math requirements were, I transferred to Iowa State to do meteorology. I discovered that the advanced math was so far beyond my capabilities that I dropped that immediately. Literally, I would never be able to do it. Anything beyond 2 + y = 5 sends me into a panic, so I moved to a liberal studies degree that required no additional math. I have always loved weather and have taught myself a lot over the years. Wanted to be a storm chaser once upon a time, but it wasn't meant to be. I'll always find meteorology fascinating, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott34 and Angie

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I wanted to be an archaeologist. Indiana Jones made a huge impression on me, and I have always loved history and finding things. I'd still love to have been able to do that.

Reactions: bos and Angie