Barta Extended!

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
There was no guarantee they would win, and no conspiracy to prevent the contest.
Everything has been shut down. I'm not unsympathetic toward the wrestlers...or the basketball players...or the track & field teams...
They've all lost their seasons, and opportunities. But to say they were robbed is a little extreme.

He's talked about COVID-19 being bigger than sports, cancelling the tourney was the right thing to do, getting through this crisis should be everybody's top priority. He's never come close to implying there was some "conspiracy" to prevent them from winning. C'mon. His point was that this pandemic robbed his guys of their chance to win the title, and he's not wrong. Of course there's no guarantee they would've won, but they were the overwhelming favorite.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
He's talked about COVID-19 being bigger than sports, cancelling the tourney was the right thing to do, getting through this crisis should be everybody's top priority. He's never come close to implying there was some "conspiracy" to prevent them from winning. C'mon. His point was that this pandemic robbed his guys of their chance to win the title, and he's not wrong. Of course there's no guarantee they would've won, but they were the overwhelming favorite.
I'm with you on everything except the term robbed...which absolutely implies conspiracy. I guess I view the word differently than you do.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
There was no guarantee they would win, and no conspiracy to prevent the contest.
Everything has been shut down. I'm not unsympathetic toward the wrestlers...or the basketball players...or the track & field teams...
They've all lost their seasons, and opportunities. But to say they were robbed is a little extreme.
I would say all the athletes got robbed of the opportunity.

If Brads means they were robbed of a championship that is wrong headed.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm with you on everything except the term robbed...which absolutely implies conspiracy. I guess I view the word differently than you do.

"Let's beat this COVID-19. It is bigger than sports right now. We're not out of the woods with COVID-19. Let's get rid of COVID-19 first."

"It sucks, this team was robbed of history. They were robbed of an opportunity."

I think when "robbed" is being applied to a global pandemic that's out of everyone's control, I don't see how anyone could think he's saying there was some human conspiracy behind it.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
"Let's beat this COVID-19. It is bigger than sports right now. We're not out of the woods with COVID-19. Let's get rid of COVID-19 first."

"It sucks, this team was robbed of history. They were robbed of an opportunity."

I think when "robbed" is being applied to a global pandemic that's out of everyone's control, I don't see how anyone could think he's saying there was some human conspiracy behind it.

This team was robbed of history? Lol! What a moron

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
He's talked about COVID-19 being bigger than sports, cancelling the tourney was the right thing to do, getting through this crisis should be everybody's top priority. He's never come close to implying there was some "conspiracy" to prevent them from winning. C'mon. His point was that this pandemic robbed all athletes of their chance to win the title, and he's not wrong That is the tragedy.
There are athletes being robbed of the Olympics this summer. Denial of the opportunity is the robbery. Brands arrogance starts when/if he whines about his guys not getting a chance it is bigger than the Hawkeyes.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
There are athletes being robbed of the Olympics this summer. Denial of the opportunity is the robbery. Brands arrogance starts when/if he whines about his guys not getting a chance it is bigger than the Hawkeyes.

A coach shouldn't be able to express regret for how this whole thing has impacted his guys? He already said the virus/outbreak is "bigger than sports."

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
A coach shouldn't be able to express regret for how this whole thing has impacted his guys? He already said the virus/outbreak is "bigger than sports."
Certainly. Just as it is hard for all athletes that are getting denied the opportunity. Is there some special circumstance that makes it worse for Hawkeyes?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Certainly. Just as it is hard for all athletes that are getting denied the opportunity. Is there some special circumstance that makes it worse for Hawkeyes?

He's the Iowa coach. What team is he supposed to talk about?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Yeah, pretty cool that he wants the NCAA to recognize the top 8 seeds in all of the weight classes as All Americans. Tan Ryan agrees.

“If you can’t wrestle the tournament, which you can’t … and if you’re not going to get eligibility back, which it doesn’t sound good … they have to honor the all-Americans,” Brands says. “They have to name them.”

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013

Then I guess I would ask: are other coaches claiming their teams were robbed?

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Yeah, pretty cool that he wants the NCAA to recognize the top 8 seeds in all of the weight classes as All Americans. Tan Ryan agrees.

“If you can’t wrestle the tournament, which you can’t … and if you’re not going to get eligibility back, which it doesn’t sound good … they have to honor the all-Americans,” Brands says. “They have to name them.”
Are they doing the same for basketball? Track & Field?

Help Support Us

Become a patron