Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Trump never shut anything down. He cannot order the country open now.

I've thought this too, and wondered why so many people act like the President (regardless of party) is responsible for deciding on closing restaurants, etc. The only thing the president/executive branch can do related to social distancing is things like:

- Be a cheerleader/Sell hope/Make recommendations (non-enforceable things)
- Decide on foreign travel (like the European travel ban)
- Set policy for territories and DC (maybe? unsure on this)
- Declare Marshall law (yikes!)

Things like opening/closing restaurants, public transport, lockdowns, travel restrictions within a state, etc are made by governors/state legislature.

Not a political thing, just reminding everyone of Government 101.

Reactions: psychlone99

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I've thought this too, and wondered why so many people act like the President (regardless of party) is responsible for deciding on closing restaurants, etc. The only thing the president/executive branch can do related to social distancing is things like:

Things like opening/closing restaurants, public transport, lockdowns, travel restrictions within a state, etc are made by governors/state legislature.

Yes, the states have police powers and local authorities have means to enforce law.

But, there are federal laws that allow for the executive branch to act here, all valid under the commerce clause or as a matter of national security. For example, we could probably use the logistics arm of the military to get the medical supplies and equipment where it needs to be...

https://www.dla.mil/

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Wells is dumb. I work with sensitive info and I work from home. They are behind the times.

Same. I work for Principal, I can WFH, work with super-sensitive info all the time (like, HIPPA stuff, health info, etc), it's double-hyper encrypted whatever. For whatever reason Wells Fargo still likes the "big building" concept, it seems.

Also, we got a notice yesterday that someone with a confirmed case of Coronavirus was in our building, so we've gone from "recommended WFH" to "mandatory WFH" for at least 14 days. Not sure if that's the whole building, or just my group.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

A president can apply TONS of political pressure though. Ultimately a governor can do what they want in this situation, but that doesn't make it easy or free from retaliation in other areas if you go against the oval office.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Yes, the states have police powers and local authorities have means to enforce law.

But, there are federal laws that allow for the executive branch to act here, all valid under the commerce clause or as a matter of national security. For example, we could probably use the logistics arm of the military to get the medical supplies and equipment where it needs to be...

Would the thing about dispatching military hospital ships fall under that? I also wonder if the govn't will take Carnival up on their offer to use cruise ships as "floating hospitals."

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

They are begging the president to get the US military more involved in the northeast to help with logistics and he doesn't seem to want to do it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

No, trump cannot mandate all bars and restaurants opened, but his opinion does hold a lot of weight to some of these governors, especially those that are republicans. If Gov. Reynolds were a democrat, I would say with almost 100% confidence we'd already be in a state shutdown.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Same. I work for Principal, I can WFH, work with super-sensitive info all the time (like, HIPPA stuff, health info, etc), it's double-hyper encrypted whatever. For whatever reason Wells Fargo still likes the "big building" concept, it seems.

Also, we got a notice yesterday that someone with a confirmed case of Coronavirus was in our building, so we've gone from "recommended WFH" to "mandatory WFH" for at least 14 days. Not sure if that's the whole building, or just my group.
Lol there was someone who came INTO our building yesterday who explained he came into contact with someone that tested positive.. Our company didn't have a conversation about it. Didn't even tell us. I had to find out from another coworker.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
No, trump cannot mandate all bars and restaurants opened, but his opinion does hold a lot of weight to some of these governors, especially those that are republicans. If Gov. Reynolds were a democrat, I would say with almost 100% confidence we'd already be in a state shutdown.

I think, in general, the state is doing a pretty good job of handling (not just Gov. Reynolds, but the emergency mgmt people, etc.) It seems reasonable to track what's happening, and not all states need to react the same way. What NY does shouldn't nesc. be the same as what WY does.

Having said that, I am a bit torn, after hearing about and reading about stupid employers that are forcing their workers to come in day after day for office jobs in non-essential areas. The state shouldn't have to mandate that employers stop acting stupid, but yet, here they are, so maybe it's inevitable.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Wow! I seriously wonder how people can be so ignorant????
I'm responding to both of your replies here.. Yes, incredibly ignorant. I've heard conversations that even if someone within the office would catch this, we wouldn't shut down or work from home. There are now 3 people that have gotten tested that were connected to this company in some way, and there hasn't been a single conversation to the employees yet regarding it.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Would the thing about dispatching military hospital ships fall under that? I also wonder if the govn't will take Carnival up on their offer to use cruise ships as "floating hospitals."
Carvinal certainly has a lot of experience with viruses....:confused:

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I'm responding to both of your replies here.. Yes, incredibly ignorant. I've heard conversations that even if someone within the office would catch this, we wouldn't shut down or work from home. There are now 3 people that have gotten tested that were connected to this company in some way, and there hasn't been a single conversation to the employees yet regarding it.

What industry do you work in?

(sorry if you've already said)

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Has the hoarding slowed down? Shelves looking a little more full? We haven't been to the store in almost two weeks and will need to make a trip soon.

I had to run out yesterday to HyVee (DSM). The meat counter had product again! Also eggs. They still didn't have a single roll of TP or rice. Canned foods were starting to build back up but still very thin. Fiance and I didn't panic with the TP 2 weeks ago like everyone else and now we're getting concerned we may run out. I was banking that the idiots would all be fully stocked and logistics would catch up late this week. Thankfully I have a lot of socks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron