Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
You would think being a Cyclone, Twins and Viking fan you would learn to not get your hopes up about certain things but damn, I am struggling to not be kinda jacked about the Twins getting Maeda. I need someone to tell me to take a cold shower.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Time to buy a new confuser. Not sure what the diff is in Windows for us basic users on a desktop without a touchscreen. I bought a Black Friday Dell desktop deal a couple of years ago to replace my old desktop which I just knew was going to die at any moment. Didn't die so new computer sat in the box for two years until this fall when the Windows 7 support was waning and I decided to set it up. Unboxed and fired up I found it was running 7 with an option for 10. Had to call to figure out how to activated the 10 but after that it was pretty much a breeze.

Still running my old laptop on 7 but new cheap laptop is supposed to be delivered today. Just bought a cheapie so if gets stolen on vacation of something I am not out much. Will buy a better one for more local use. I am pretty sure the attempted delivery will occur while I am at doctor appt later this a.m.

Yep, I reckon we'll use some of our tax refund (assuming, of course, that we get one) for a new CPU. We've had Dells for years and never had issues, probably will stay with them.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
You would think being a Cyclone, Twins and Viking fan you would learn to not get your hopes up about certain things but damn, I am struggling to not be kinda jacked about the Twins getting Maeda. I need someone to tell me to take a cold shower.
Same here. My cold shower comes down to admitting that he's going to get injured and miss most of this year.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Only seen about 2-3 episodes of the office and about half of the movie office space. I didn't find either entertaining. Might be that I didn't watch the office from the beginning.
I recommend that you re-watch Office Space. It's fantastic.

As for The Office, I like it but I can see how people don't. I didn't see the last couple of seasons and the first 1+ seasons are a bit tough because Michael is so unlikable.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
At work someone had put together a simplified board for the final score of the Super Bowl. Ten people put in money and drew a number from 0-9. Winners were based on the last digit of the combined score at the end of the first half and end of game. I drew 4 so I was bummed that the final TD cost me $100. I was feeling pretty good when it was 24-20 and I knew all they needed to do was pick up a first down or two and run out the clock with less than 2 minutes to play. They weren't supposed to score another TD. :(
Our board wasn't quite at those stakes but that TD cost me $40. It ended up going to a person that also won 2 of the other 3 quarters.

• Dislike
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Our board wasn't quite at those stakes but that TD cost me $40. It ended up going to a person that also won 2 of the other 3 quarters.
Our only prizes were first half and end of game. They had enough people to have two identical boards. I was lamenting that TD and it turned out that one of the three people I was talking to was the guy who got burned on the other board. Misery loves company.

Reactions: jcyclonee

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I recommend that you re-watch Office Space. It's fantastic.

As for The Office, I like it but I can see how people don't. I didn't see the last couple of seasons and the first 1+ seasons are a bit tough because Michael is so unlikable.
Stephen Root is great in his role. I really enjoyed him in News Radio. His bit in O, Brother, Where Art Thou was memorable as well.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Yep, I reckon we'll use some of our tax refund (assuming, of course, that we get one) for a new CPU. We've had Dells for years and never had issues, probably will stay with them.

I am sure our friendly neighborhood lawyer/taxman can help make sure you get one with enough for a new computer.

• Friendly
Reactions: SCyclone

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
So, Gradebooks in Canvas are apparently hard. Should not have told T.A. I would do it.

Page titled "How Do I Use Gradebook" on a Canvas forum shows me that I can open one up. Nothing about building.

Watched a video, because why not, and I apparently have to make assignments in order to have a gradebook. Cool.

Canvas is kind of slick, but mostly just a much harder way to get simple things done.

RunninMan

Nov 18, 2013
So, Gradebooks in Canvas are apparently hard. Should not have told T.A. I would do it.

Page titled "How Do I Use Gradebook" on a Canvas forum shows me that I can open one up. Nothing about building.

Watched a video, because why not, and I apparently have to make assignments in order to have a gradebook. Cool.

Canvas is kind of slick, but mostly just a much harder way to get simple things done.
Most professors at Iowa State seem like they don't even try to keep grades in Canvas correct until the end of the semester, and often times not even then. I've gone whole semesters not knowing what grade I have in a class until the final grades are released on AccessPlus after the semester is over. Luckily most of those classes I haven't had to worry about my grade but there have been a few where knowing my grade in the class could have really helped in deciding how to budget my time studying for exams/finals.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and cyrevkah

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hell, Donaldson's signing got me stiff!
So stuff that you that the “bringer of rain” made you make it rain???

giphy.gif

• Funny
Status
Not open for further replies.