Status
Not open for further replies.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I don't really understand the way you guys do this either. Especially because it's at such a local level that as it went, someone not viable in one precinct in Ames.........was the leader in another. I think if they want to capture the spirit of the caucus with less....fuss... ranked choice voting at the state level is good option.
Ranked choice was discussed as an issue after our delegates were counted; I've heard from friends that it was discussed in others as well.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Ranked choice was discussed as an issue after our delegates were counted; I've heard from friends that it was discussed in others as well.
I tend to be a more middle of the road type of guy so I am not a huge fan of ranked choice. Without ranked choice elect-ability concerns tend to make people think twice about going too far to the left or right. When you can go crazy and know that your second and third choices will still count that filter is no longer there. I'm sure the converse is why those far to the Left or Right like it.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
We try to keep political talk to a minimum to not over-influence our kids. One morning our 8yr old was asking what the elephant and donkey represented. When I told her, she asked, “Which one are we?” I told her she gets to decide. “I like the donkey!” I also asked the 16yr old if the person in charge of volunteering gave her a Pete shirt (they are big Pete supporters). She happily said, “I have no affiliation!” I think she partly feels she did not know much about any of the candidates. There were just a couple lines from commercials that we tended to make fun of here at our house. ;) But watching TV will be a much more pleasant experience for a few months!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Holy Cow, I'm checking out the price of broadway tickets so kids can have "the experience" I can tell those east coast people definitely have a different level of wages than this poor Iowa guy does. Thinking of hitting up Mean Girls. First I think the 180/ticket is kinda steep, but hey, its for my kids. Then they mention a sixty some buck handling fee. Exactly who is handling these tickets? I don't need to pope to bless them, I'm not catholic. 10-15/ticket, ok I can live with it? Pushing what I pay for an ISU football game? A little much. These will cost more than our flight tickets there and back.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This may border on the political, but I think we can handle it in here. There is a reddit post of a little scene from a caucus in NE Iowa. I am proud that my sister is the person who is very politely dealing with a woman who was upset and wanted her card back because after voting for Mayor Pete after she discovered that he was married to a spouse of the same sex. I'm not trying to voice support for any candidate, nor to delve into the religious beliefs of anyone--I'm just proud of my sis. Cool story Bro, I know. It is just not every day that I open a thread in the cave and see video of my sister and my nephew.

Your sister handled that really well.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well shucks on the road at 630am back at 1130pm, that's what happens when you actually interact with customers instead of just a quick stop to get your job done and hit the road.
I also owe a text to another person but that'll get sent tomorrow.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Well shucks on the road at 630am back at 1130pm, that's what happens when you actually interact with customers instead of just a quick stop to get your job done and hit the road.
Tomorrow tomorrow? Or tomorrow today? Was after midnight when you posted. No envy from me BTW, just sympathy and a wish for sleep for you.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
The vixen bought a new printer - went to install it, and of course it's not compatible with Windows 7 (our CPU is pretty old). So she buys Windows 10 online and tries to install that.....and the computer tells her it ain't working so good. :mad:

Now she's pissed, and it's nearly 10PM - past my bedtime. I crawl into bed, half wanting to stay and support her (she doesn't want or need help, thank you very much) and half not wanting to sit and listen to the invective.

IDK when she came to bed. I leave for work about 6AM - before she gets up - so I also don't know if she was successful or not. I guess I'll hear about it at lunchtime.

Cross your fingers. :confused:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The vixen bought a new printer - went to install it, and of course it's not compatible with Windows 7 (our CPU is pretty old). So she buys Windows 10 online and tries to install that.....and the computer tells her it ain't working so good. :mad:

Now she's pissed, and it's nearly 10PM - past my bedtime. I crawl into bed, half wanting to stay and support her (she doesn't want or need help, thank you very much) and half not wanting to sit and listen to the invective.

IDK when she came to bed. I leave for work about 6AM - before she gets up - so I also don't know if she was successful or not. I guess I'll hear about it at lunchtime.

If you want to sleep on the couch for the foreseeable future tell her she needs to update to Windows Mohave

Last edited:

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
She's using Windows 10 at work, and claims it's a pain in the a$$. All our computers at work run on Windows 10, I'm guessing the big switchover will be pretty epic.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
She's using Windows 10 at work, and claims it's a pain in the a$$. All our computers at work run on Windows 10, I'm guessing the big switchover will be pretty epic.

I kind of like Windows 10. It's way better than 8 and 8.1. After being on 10 for so long, I don't even really like 7 anymore.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Holy Cow, I'm checking out the price of broadway tickets so kids can have "the experience" I can tell those east coast people definitely have a different level of wages than this poor Iowa guy does. Thinking of hitting up Mean Girls. First I think the 180/ticket is kinda steep, but hey, its for my kids. Then they mention a sixty some buck handling fee. Exactly who is handling these tickets? I don't need to pope to bless them, I'm not catholic. 10-15/ticket, ok I can live with it? Pushing what I pay for an ISU football game? A little much. These will cost more than our flight tickets there and back.

You're welcome.

https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/tkts-ticket-booths

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Little boy me riding with my dad on his rural fuel deliveries had his little boy attention span tried and tested. Me: the fuels pumped, the truck's buttoned up, the tickets written out, why are we still here? Even back in the labor intensive days when most little farms had hogs and farmed using little Johnny Poppers there were times when the old farmers weren't busy at all and just wanted to talk. And talk. And talk.

Flash forward 60 years and in the right setting I may have turned into my dad and can talk and talk if somebody just primes my jukebox with a quarter. :rolleyes:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Time to buy a new confuser. Not sure what the diff is in Windows for us basic users on a desktop without a touchscreen. I bought a Black Friday Dell desktop deal a couple of years ago to replace my old desktop which I just knew was going to die at any moment. Didn't die so new computer sat in the box for two years until this fall when the Windows 7 support was waning and I decided to set it up. Unboxed and fired up I found it was running 7 with an option for 10. Had to call to figure out how to activated the 10 but after that it was pretty much a breeze.

Still running my old laptop on 7 but new cheap laptop is supposed to be delivered today. Just bought a cheapie so if gets stolen on vacation of something I am not out much. Will buy a better one for more local use. I am pretty sure the attempted delivery will occur while I am at doctor appt later this a.m.

• Friendly
Reactions: SCyclone

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
In the old days you just walked back and forth on 42nd street and watched the freak show that was 42nd & Broadway. Not exactly for the kids though.

Oh you can still do that. Christmas night 2011 we were walking into times square and we get heckled "strip club this way! We got midgets!" Definitely different than Christmas in Iowa.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY
Status
Not open for further replies.