*** Official Oklahoma State Vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
We do. Conditt and Young are tied as our 3rd leading scorers right now at 8.9ppg. I agree I wish we'd continue going to the post even more since our outside shooting is so bad. Last night we fed the post more than any game I can remember in a long time, mostly because OSU went with a small line up most of the game.

Yeah that is part of the reason I think I get frustrated at times with the offense is you will see guys like Conditt or Young get good position or be open and the guards don't even look for them. Kudos to the guys last night though for the game plan and the execution.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I wouldn't say that hustle and effort shows me that he's good, anything can do those things. It also doesn't mean that he won't be good in the future, just haven't seen it yet.
Anyone CAN do those things but not all guys do. Hustle and effort are highly important and can be the determining factor in a lot of games. He was a very good 3pt shooter in high school and from the film I watched, he was taking a lot of deep shots. He just needs time to acclimate.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
My overall takeaways from last night:
Grill looked good, best I've seen him play all season.....I think he'll be solid next year with potential to be good his JR and great SR seasons. Still need to see him hit some shots.....
Nixon sat a lot in the 2nd half, which you hate to kick a guy when he's down, but it was
a net positive.......

Agree that Grill eventually needs to drain some 3s, but hopefully CSP can unlock his potential.
Regarding Nixon, after another 0/3 night from deep, his minutes need to continue to go to Jackson and Grill. We've seen enough to know how this season is going-- time to work with the young guys as Nixon continues to show he's not making an impact.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
So go on the road to a top 20 team and have a shot to win with 2 minutes left. Ok
down 6 with two minutes left on the road to a top 20 team, yes, that is what I will call a step in the right direction. This is basketball, how is that out of the realm of possibility for any P5 team?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I wouldn't say that hustle and effort shows me that he's good, anything can do those things. It also doesn't mean that he won't be good in the future, just haven't seen it yet.
There’s a difference between saying someone looked good and that they are good, right?

And you’re undervaluing hustle and effort. Combine that with his athleticism and his display of innate basketball knowledge, and he’s shown he has many of the things you can’t teach. Needs to improve his handle and shot.

Reactions: heitclone

Snydes

May 16, 2006
Ames
Prom spoke to the young guys shooting (woes) last night on the postgame, noting Nader’s growth in 3 pt shooting from 20% to 40% yr-yr. He is clearly ok w investing in playing time as long as he is seeing positive contributions and growth in other areas as well.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
down 6 with two minutes left on the road to a top 20 team, yes, that is what I will call a step in the right direction. This is basketball, how is that out of the realm of possibility for any P5 team?
It's not out of the realm, but it's not common either given the records, performances, and going on the road.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
You can't go into the post as easily unless you're hitting 3s. Funny, we hit some threes and end up with a career game from a post.
Exactly, it's a complicated issue with such a (usually) minimal outside threat. Teams pack inside against us and dare us to shoot out.

It also doesn't help that generally our most offensively-productive lineups tend to be only 1 post instead of 2. Makes the posts look worse and have less feed opportunities.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Prom spoke to the young guys shooting (woes) last night on the postgame, noting Nader’s growth in 3 pt shooting from 20% to 40% yr-yr. He is clearly ok w investing in playing time as long as he is seeing positive contributions and growth in other areas as well.

Plus - who else would we play on this year’s squad? It’s not like he has a real choice.

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I have not really been impressed with Nixon's defense lately. OK State seemed to go at him late in the game. If he can't provide solid defense, he might as well be on the bench.

Also, the TV crew said that we were last in the conference in defense. Not sure which metric they used but it could be due to the pace we play if going by points per game. I know our shooting is bad but our defense seems just as bad. OK State scored on all but 1 of their late game possessions, but luckily we hit most of our FTs to help from falling completely apart.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Solo really had turned it up a notch since coming off the bench. Fine by me, this team can beat anyone if they are hitting their 3s and keep improving their defense. Limit turnovers and we won by 30 points yesterday.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I have not really been impressed with Nixon's defense lately. OK State seemed to go at him late in the game. If he can't provide solid defense, he might as well be on the bench.

Also, the TV crew said that we were last in the conference in defense. Not sure which metric they used but it could be due to the pace we play if going by points per game. I know our shooting is bad but our defense seems just as bad. OK State scored on all but 1 of their late game possessions, but luckily we hit most of our FTs to help from falling completely apart.
This year, we've done a terrible job of weathering the storm when it comes to teams going on runs against us. In our lop sided losses, the opposing team went on a run and we would completely fall apart. We have to do a better job of that and that comes on the offensive end and the defensive end. We sometimes let our shooting / scoring droughts affect the defensive end of the court.

The OSU game came down to us gaining a comfortable lead and deciding to be lazy with our shot attempts / control of the ball. Tyrese took a couple of bad shots, Caleb was trying to finally get his, and even Jackson took a shot that probably didn't need to be taken given the time and score. Those types of things are all fixable and those guys doing those things are so young and continue to learn.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I'm sure this will be an unpopular take, but GC is way overhyped on this board and among the fan base. He's good, don't get me wrong But he's not there yet. Some people act like he's the second coming of Kelvin Cato and should be treated as such. At this stage of his development, I'd say he's not even as good as Lard. And he pouts as much as Cam liked to, too. I don't think it's too hot of a take that since Big 12 play started, he has been our worst big.
It's as much who Conditt had been playing behind as the talent he'd shown- it's also not a hot take to say the Jacobson/Young starting front court was awful. It's like when Solomon was a freshman; he wasn't amazing, but he was light years better than Holden and Bowie.

Conditt has certainly struggled the past few games, but unless Young starts consisting playing anything like the last game I'd still roll with George.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
It's as much who Conditt had been playing behind as the talent he'd shown- it's also not a hot take to say the Jacobson/Young starting front court was awful. It's like when Solomon was a freshman; he wasn't amazing, but he was light years better than Holden and Bowie.

Conditt has certainly struggled the past few games, but unless Young starts consisting playing anything like the last game I'd still roll with George.

I am biased because Solo has been my favorite since his freshman year. But solos passing out of the block could earn him back minutes. Conditt started because prohm couldn’t think of anything els to do, but it didn’t change anything at all. I don’t see a reason you wouldn’t at least try to build something off of last night. Reward solo for showing some fire I say.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
There is a difference between a possibility and an expectation.

Help Support Us

Become a patron