*** Official IOWA STATE vs #23 Texas Tech Game(Day) Thread ***

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Beard is having success, that is certain. He's doing it low brow though. Brings in guys that have suspect offensive talent, but makes sure they know their role when they come in. Aka do not shoot unless you have a wide open dunk or layup, bruise and body people, use your hands cuz the refs won't call it every time, and flop like your playing time depends on it. His team's don't strike me as skilled. They play tough defense, they wear you down physically and might even get in your head mentally, but aside from a couple guys he's had there in his time, they seem mediocre to average in sheer talent and skill
Beard is much like Huggins (and sort of Bennett) in that he picks out great guys for his system and molds them into it with various pieces around them to mix it up a bit. Now he's set in stone and can go out and get elite talent to supplant that. That's an ideal program setup, as long as he stays there.

And that was the result of elite coaching and an excellent supporting staff.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Dingus

May 23, 2013
On the plus side, the defense wasn't that bad. On the other side, pretty much everything else.

Can someone remind me of an ISU starter worse offensively than Nixon? Off the top of my head, only guys even close I can think of are Holden and Bowie (when he started he was pretty bad). But I still think Nixon is worse. He better be holding his guy to 15 pts below season average or he's not worth having in the game.

40% of our B12 games so far have ended in 20+ point losses. Barf. That can't hold up.. can it?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
You realize coaches in the NCAA have direct control over their rosters?
Coaches don't control guys leaving for the pros early, but yes I get that. Which is why I said we, and thus Prohm, have largely recruited well on paper (as evidenced also by...putting them in the pros early).

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Beard is having success, that is certain. He's doing it low brow though. Brings in guys that have suspect offensive talent, but makes sure they know their role when they come in. Aka do not shoot unless you have a wide open dunk or layup, bruise and body people, use your hands cuz the refs won't call it every time, and flop like your playing time depends on it. His team's don't strike me as skilled. They play tough defense, they wear you down physically and might even get in your head mentally, but aside from a couple guys he's had there in his time, they seem mediocre to average in sheer talent and skill

and i would take all of that at isu in a heartbeat if if meant 87-36 record, conf title, 8-2 ncaa record, top 25 recruiting classes, full arenas, etc. etc.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
well we are horrible at shooting but we didn’t really go after a shooter this last recruiting cycle did we? I mean Dubar isn’t known as a knock down three point shooter is he?

I don't think so. Which leaves the question: what is Prohm recruiting for? Goes back to really wondering, what is his program's identity that he's catering to?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Beard is much like Huggins (and sort of Bennett) in that he picks out great guys for his system and molds them into it with various pieces around them to mix it up a bit. Now he's set in stone and can go out and get elite talent to supplant that. That's an ideal program setup, as long as he stays there.

And that was the result of elite coaching and an excellent supporting staff.
Would love our next guy have some sort of system. Wouldn't even have to be all that flashy or exciting, just any sort of identity would be nice. We have the dime store version of that right now

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
and i would take all of that at isu in a heartbeat if if meant 87-36 record, conf title, 8-2 ncaa record, top 25 recruiting classes, full arenas, etc. etc.
Exactly. It's like shades of Smart at VCU, too -- sure, it's a 'system', and maybe it even yanks on the game a bit -- but it sure as hell works with the right guys on the floor and right minds over it.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Would love our next guy have some sort of system. Wouldn't even have to be all that flashy or exciting, just any sort of identity would be nice. We have the dime store version of that right now
I never know how to feel about system coaches. I feel like generally it doesn't work out better than more typical coaching, but the times that it does work out, it works out extremely well (obviously I have no stats to back this up either way). It's possible to have an identity without running an unusual gameplan.

Hell, being that I already brought him up, see Smart at Texas. Hasn't done **** since getting there and even abandoned his system at this level. Then again, it does work sometimes -- just Huggins. He'll have a few strong years, one bad rebuilding year every now and then to restock and teach, then back to good years for a while (although what I've heard this year without seeing it myself is that his team this year doesn't actually press much anymore).

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Bigman38 and Raider

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
I’ve sat through a lot of Iowa state basketball and even found a way to be optimistic for every McDermott year.. but I have never been less entertained by any product that any coach has put on the floor than this coach. It’s not even that the players are bad it’s just clear that their coach has given them nothing. He’s a BAD coach.. if he gets a bunch of NBA talent again he will be a BAD coach with NBA talent,

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I never know how to feel about system coaches. I feel like generally it doesn't work out better than more typical coaching, but the times that it does work out, it works out extremely well (obviously I have no stats to back this up either way). It's possible to have an identity without running an unusual gameplan.

Hell, being that I already brought him up, see Smart at Texas. Hasn't done **** since getting there and even abandoned his system at this level. Then again, it does work sometimes -- just Huggins. He'll have a few strong years, one bad rebuilding year every now and then to restock and teach, then back to good years for a while (although what I've heard this year without seeing it myself is that his team this year doesn't actually press much anymore).

Bo Ryan at Wisconsin. Swing offense. 'Boring' and low scoring and they had some total fails but 20ish straight NCAA tourneys and mostly in the top 4 of a P5 conference doesn't sound too bad.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It's just bad motion offense with bad shooters and too many guys that like to stand around and watch. I could go watch my local high school team if I wanted to watch that kind of offense. Our pick n roll is decent but hardly reliable and easy to shut down after it works a few times

• Agree
Reactions: Darius Bieber

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's just bad motion offense with bad shooters and too many guys that like to stand around and watch. I could go watch my local high school team if I wanted to watch that kind of offense. Our pick n roll is decent but hardly reliable and easy to shut down after it works a few times

I'm gonna watch intently for other games and see if I notice as much catch and dribble first offense from other teams regardless of talent.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm watching UNI play right now.... it's refreshing to watch a team actually run something, get open looks, and knock them down.

If UNI can have 3 or 4 guys on the floor at all times that can shoot the 3, why can't we just have 1 guy that can??

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I’m confident it works really well against our defense in practice.

The 3P shooting is horrendous, but the offense isn’t even our worst attribute.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I'm watching UNI play right now.... it's refreshing to watch a team actually run something, get open looks, and knock them down.

If UNI can have 3 or 4 guys on the floor at all times that can shoot the 3, why can't we just have 1 guy that can??

When anyone watches Iowa State play, any other basketball game is “refreshing”.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Hoiberg had a bunch of 4-year players carrying the team every year, supplanted by a single grad transfer. There wasn't as much reloading as it seemed.

Meanwhile, Prohm lost a couple starters early to the pros last year and is losing another this year. And it's not like our recruiting classes have been bad on paper. Not saying our coach is great, just comparing.

Our recruiting class last year was bad on paper. And worse in reality.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
What I'm not excited about is reading posts by dickheads. Life isn't always exciting.
Crossing our fingers and hope conditt and Jackson take BIG strides in development. Bolton to learn how to go left and not be a turnover machine would be nice too. All 4 freshman come in ready to play and contribute and are given the chance to

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

I can understand Jackson and Grill not doing well, still getting acquainted with the game. However, guys like Bolton and Nixon should be better than they are now. Jacobsen regressed there as well.

Help Support Us

Become a patron