Starting OL for 2020

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Has Hudson been in at all in his career? I know he is a big guy, and that they have spent a lot of time working on getting his pad level down, but don't recall him getting snaps.

I believe Hudson was recognized as a scout team MVP this year. I think he's the best hope of keeping RFR off the first unit.

Foster on the other hand his technique was noticeably flawed. Hoping a GT OT is also to keep a RFR out off the ones. Fearing if they are still behind Foster our issues are longterm.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I believe Hudson was recognized as a scout team MVP this year. I think he's the best hope of keeping RFR off the first unit.

Foster on the other hand his technique was noticeably flawed. Hoping a GT OT is also to keep a RFR out off the ones. Fearing if they are still behind Foster our issues are longterm.

Foster has never lived up to the hype he came in with, but this is his last chance to put the work in to show what he can do. I suspect that there are several of the other tackles on the roster that see him as the guy to beat out. We will see what happens, but I feel a little better about next year's line than I did about the last couple ones.

I thought that Hudson was pretty well slated as a guard, or are you thinking someone else moves out to tackle if Hudson can get a guard spot?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Foster has never lived up to the hype he came in with, but this is his last chance to put the work in to show what he can do. I suspect that there are several of the other tackles on the roster that see him as the guy to beat out. We will see what happens, but I feel a little better about next year's line than I did about the last couple ones.

I thought that Hudson was pretty well slated as a guard, or are you thinking someone else moves out to tackle if Hudson can get a guard spot?

Yes Hudson is a road grading type guard. He's the third guy inside before they start looking at freshmen.

It would be great if Foster rebounded but for now I'm crossing my fingers for the GT from Indiana.

Ben Berg

Feb 7, 2018
Carroll, IA
Hey guys, an Indiana poster on a big ten board mentioned Coy Cronk was likely coming to ISU.

Multi-year starter at LT, got hurt early this year, and word is the staff asked him to move to G next year as they like the kid who replaced him at LT.

Haven't seen much about this elsewhere but thought I'd pass it along.
If his new twitter followers are any indication, it looks as if he's being targeted (or at least looked at) by coaches from: Illinois, Alabama, USC, Michigan, Baylor, Florida State, Oklahoma State, Mizzou, Iowa, K-State, Northwestern, Texas, Auburn, and a slew of other P5 schools. He certainly won't be short on options.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Here is what I see needs to happen for this team to take the next step forward.

1. Offensive line needs to make a big improvement. And early in the season. Purdy needs to be better protected to make good throws and holes need to be open to run through at least until the 2nd level of defense.

2. Secondary needs to be better at covering. This means not giving 5yds + cushion and then trying to make a tackle. It means being all over receivers and not giving them a clean chance to catch the ball. Of coarse, getting pressure on opposing quarterbacks would also help a lot.

3. Kick return game need to exist in a healthy way. Not being able to get a return doesn't improve field position and help make a shorter field for the offense.

Accomplish these and I think we can win 9 or more games next year.
#2 isn't Heacock's style. Though I slobber over a defense like LSU's.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Something to keep an eye on. Jeff Myers followed Scott Lashley on Twitter. Grad transfer RT from Alabama.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...ey-enters-NCAA-transfer-portal-142354662/Amp/
Put someone like this guy at RT, Treiber at LT, and slot Ramos into the guard spot opposite Downing. Bingo, you’ve got your five best OL on the field. Simple enough, that’s the goal.

The only issue being that a grad transfer at this point isn’t going to go through Spring drills.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If his new twitter followers are any indication, it looks as if he's being targeted (or at least looked at) by coaches from: Illinois, Alabama, USC, Michigan, Baylor, Florida State, Oklahoma State, Mizzou, Iowa, K-State, Northwestern, Texas, Auburn, and a slew of other P5 schools. He certainly won't be short on options.

Wowza. That is an amazing list. Yet, he started his career at Indiana. Please tell me he comes from an ag family!
:campbell:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Give me both Cronk and Lashley.... that would be SWEET!

I know.... I'm dreaming again.

• Winner
Reactions: cyfan21

JDDDCy

Dec 20, 2017
Check Cronk off the list. He is enrolled at Iowa. That sucks since he would have fit nicely with what we need. I assume he was brought in to replace Wirfs. Thought we were out when we offered the Kansas Juco tackle a couple days ago.

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO
Hey guys, an Indiana poster on a big ten board mentioned Coy Cronk was likely coming to ISU.

Multi-year starter at LT, got hurt early this year, and word is the staff asked him to move to G next year as they like the kid who replaced him at LT.

Haven't seen much about this elsewhere but thought I'd pass it along.

Excellent trolling

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Check Cronk off the list. He is enrolled at Iowa. That sucks since he would have fit nicely with what we need. I assume he was brought in to replace Wirfs. Thought we were out when we offered the Kansas Juco tackle a couple days ago.

Too bad for ISU, but at this point in time, Iowa would be a great place for a grad transfer that is looking to be a pro. Just a lot of success getting OL in the NFL from Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Been thinking about this since I read CMC comment Downing is the best O Lineman he's coached. Is there any chance he makes a JGJ move out to LT?

If this were to happen Ramos could go to RT and Treiber could slide inside to guard giving the RFR less responsibility and excell as the badass he appears to be.

Getting a GT would be great but I think the pieces may already be in place.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Been thinking about this since I read CMC comment Downing is the best O Lineman he's coached. Is there any chance he makes a JGJ move out to LT?

If this were to happen Ramos could go to RT and Treiber could slide inside to guard giving the RFR less responsibility and excell as the badass he appears to be.

Getting a GT would be great but I think the pieces may already be in place.

We will no doubt sign a GT OL or Juco OL.. of not 2...

truly the only roster Gap going into this season is depth along OL.. I think we’ve got game ready 5-6 right now.. 7-10 is a big ?

we have to add at least 1 OL between now and season imo.

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
My Prediction:
LT: Ramos (All, but a lock)
LG: Downing (LOCK)
C: Newell (Lock)
RG: Hudson (All, but a lock)
RT: Foster

This prediction can obviously change if we get a good grad transfer or one of our own decides to transfer.

The right side is the biggest question mark. I do not see the coaching staff shifting Downing and Newell around; however, the other guys could move anywhere.

We have been hearing Hudson's name for years. I think he gets the nod at RG.

Right tackle is tough. There are three names: Foster, Hufford and Treiber. I don't think Remsburg, Kleinow or any of the freshman will be ready to go by this time. I think Foster gets the nod. Treiber is the much better talent, but I think he's a hair behind Foster. That depth chart can change VERY fast.

And yes, Foster will be the first one replaced if we get a transfer

Kleinow is moving to DL, or at least that was plan near end of last year

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
We will no doubt sign a GT OL or Juco OL.. of not 2...

truly the only roster Gap going into this season is depth along OL.. I think we’ve got game ready 5-6 right now.. 7-10 is a big ?

we have to add at least 1 OL between now and season imo.

If we get one great but for now I was just wondering if our best option is?

LT Downing
LG Treiber
C Newell
RG Hudson
RT Ramos