Starting OL for 2020

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I'll be concerned if Foster is a starter next year. He hasn't looked good when he has been out there.

He has been very disappointing so far, but there is a chance that he will figure it out in his senior year. We will see what happens, but there is a lot of guys in the program now fighting for starting time. Between CPR leaving very few guys in the program and the recruiting struggles CMC had the first 2 years on the OL it has been a long haul.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. There are 23 OL listed on the roster, and 16 are currently FR, RS FR or RS SO. There are 4 more OL coming in, 2 of them this spring. Some of these guys have played, some have started, but who fills in the holes will be interesting. The only seniors next year are Foster, who has one last chance to prove he is as good as his rankings, and Noah Juergensen, who I believe is a walkon.

I thought 23 seemed awfully high for number of OLs on the team. We usually only have between 14 and 16 OLs on scholarship at any one time. So I went back and checked for myself. When I count returning players, I only count scholarship guys because with walk-ons you just never know if they'll still be on the team next year.

There are currently only 11 scholarship OLs on the roster, which seems like a way more reasonable number to me for a position group. Then we have the four coming in, which puts us at 15, right in the middle of where you want to be.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I thought 23 seemed awfully high for number of OLs on the team. We usually only have between 14 and 16 OLs on scholarship at any one time. So I went back and checked for myself. When I count returning players, I only count scholarship guys because with walk-ons you just never know if they'll still be on the team next year.

There are currently only 11 scholarship OLs on the roster, which seems like a way more reasonable number to me for a position group. Then we have the four coming in, which puts us at 15, right in the middle of where you want to be.

I didn't know who was a walkon, and who wasn't. Besides, just because a guy is a walkon does not mean he can't develop into a starter. It certainly has happened at ISU before. The odds are just not as good. Heck even Iowa will have a walkon starting once in a while, and they are way ahead of ISU in the OL department.

• Useful
Reactions: CyCrib

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I didn't know who was a walkon, and who wasn't. Besides, just because a guy is a walkon does not mean he can't develop into a starter. It certainly has happened at ISU before. The odds are just not as good. Heck even Iowa will have a walkon starting once in a while, and they are way ahead of ISU in the OL department.

I never said they couldn't develop into a starter. It's just that the average fan never knows if they will or if they will even be there come next year. So I never count them when trying to guess who will contribute next year.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I never said they couldn't develop into a starter. It's just that the average fan never knows if they will or if they will even be there come next year. So I never count them when trying to guess who will contribute next year.

Good point. Still feel like the team is light years ahead of where they were on the OL when CMC got here. We just have not seen a lot of the results yet because most of these more talented guys are underclassmen that are developing. At some point you have to just trust the coach when he says we are getting better guys into the program. The ratings bear that out, now it is just a question of development. Just need to find a couple mauler guys that just love to dominate their guys.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Regarding walkons I've heard the staff is very high on true Freshman Will Clapper. Of course he's a couple years away.

• Informative
Reactions: CubsClones1

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
This may be the most important thread related to our performance in 2020. I'm afraid that it will be another rocky year, particularly because we played entire games with only 5 linemen this year. That does not bode well for 2020. I hope I'm wrong. Perhaps a Brian Bobek type of grad transfer could make a big difference.

I'm still very high on this staff. But I think they are still a few years away from being the o-line machine they were at Toledo. Thus, I'm looking to 2021 (Purdy's senior year) as our breakout season as a conference and national power. With Campbell's ability to recruit skill position players and d-linemen, I can hardly wait for us to have great senior o-lines year-after-year like they seemed to have at Toledo.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21 and brycy

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'm still very high on this staff. But I think they are still a few years away from being the o-line machine they were at Toledo. Thus, I'm looking to 2021 (Purdy's senior year) as our breakout season as a conference and national power. With Campbell's ability to recruit skill position players and d-linemen, I can hardly wait for us to have great senior o-lines year-after-year like they seemed to have at Toledo.
2021 is "a few years" away?

I think that the line will take some time to settle in together next season, but I don't think that it's going to be a huge step back. As Ben Bruns kept saying, Bryce Meeker did a nice job at right tackle--for a guy who's a natural guard playing out of position at tackle, to help the team. Next year the odds are that both starting tackles are actually going to be natural offensive tackles. And I'm pretty sure that everyone playing is going to have a much higher ceiling. That can only be a good thing.

As far as 2021 is concerned, I agree. Assuming that Sean Foster doesn't grab a starting spot, all five starters will be back, everyone will have that much more experience, and what looks like a good crop of current signees will be coming off their redshirts, adding even more depth.

Come to think of it, in 2021 the offensive line should start out helping compensate for some graduation/NFL losses elsewhere. I'm sure we'll all be complaining about the unknowns at tight end and safety going into that season. Maybe even defensive end...but I'm pretty sure the young guys there will have shown us enough by then that we won't be too terribly frantic about it.

Well...this is CF, I guess.

Reactions: Cycsk

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
2021 is "a few years" away?

I think that the line will take some time to settle in together next season, but I don't think that it's going to be a huge step back. As Ben Bruns kept saying, Bryce Meeker did a nice job at right tackle--for a guy who's a natural guard playing out of position at tackle, to help the team. Next year the odds are that both starting tackles are actually going to be natural offensive tackles. And I'm pretty sure that everyone playing is going to have a much higher ceiling. That can only be a good thing.

As far as 2021 is concerned, I agree. Assuming that Sean Foster doesn't grab a starting spot, all five starters will be back, everyone will have that much more experience, and what looks like a good crop of current signees will be coming off their redshirts, adding even more depth.

Come to think of it, in 2021 the offensive line should start out helping compensate for some graduation/NFL losses elsewhere. I'm sure we'll all be complaining about the unknowns at tight end and safety going into that season. Maybe even defensive end...but I'm pretty sure the young guys there will have shown us enough by then that we won't be too terribly frantic about it.

Well...this is CF, I guess.

I'm tired of always being.... "2-3 years away". We all said that a couple years ago when our OL was all sophs. We thought when they were all seniors we'd have a dominant OL. How'd that turn out?

• Agree
Reactions: cyson