Brody Teske enters transfer portal.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
It depends on your definition of "impact." In Carr's class? I guess you would mean somebody with finalist potential. ISU has nobody besides him. Potential impact? I still like Reeves to do something by the time he is a RS junior or senior. Maybe I am just partial to the kid's grit but he has been recovering from injuries which hamper the ability to put on D-1 size. Another one I like is Broderson. The state of Iowa has not been putting out top shelf, can't miss recruits. I think Broderson has the athletic ability to become one...it will come down to development. Right now, ISU, UNI, SDSU are fighting over the same pile of kids so hopefully for you guys, there are some diamonds in the rough.
I can’t argue with anything you said. I think for Cyclone wrestling fans it’s an interesting conversation and I think wall comes down to expectations. Carr is an extreme example of impact potential. For most I would think someone that can be a legitimate AA threat heading into their sophomore year. I think Reeves and Broderson both could fit that description.

What concerns me is that we are more and more reliant on the developmental kids. That concern stems from the fact that my desire/expectations of the program is to be top 5-10 each and every year with an occasional run for the podium. We can’t continue to have holes in the lineup or a single legit hwt in the program. Coaches need to do better with the roster management and recruiting.

azchief32

Dec 10, 2016
What concerns me is that we are more and more reliant on the developmental kids. That concern stems from the fact that my desire/expectations of the program is to be top 5-10 each and every year with an occasional run for the podium. We can’t continue to have holes in the lineup or a single legit hwt in the program. Coaches need to do better with the roster management and recruiting.

And this is why Iowa fell behind PSU and tOSU. We invested heavily when the market was down in 2010...a nice haul of top 50 recruits but none were 20+ point scorers at NCAAs that we needed. Between 2010-2014, we had one top ten p4p recruit (Mike Evans). I think PSU had something like nine. Market started going up in 2013 and maybe peaked in 2017. These were the guys that were ready to AA or ready to be a champ or impact guy you are talking about. Even now, we only have four top ten guys (Lee, Marinelli, Kemerer and Warner) compared to PSU who has something like 8-10 on their roster haha.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
This is a long-time conversation between the "Fill your roster with 10 quality guys" camp vs "Get 4 to 6 guys in the top 4" camp. IMO Coach Jackson was focused on getting 4 to 6 guys to place high and many teams have won the whole thing with 5 guys that placed extremely high. Dresser is more in the get 10 guys camp which can also result in a championship (see ASU and Minny team titles).

I also think that only about 4 programs can consistently contend for the top 10 p4p guys... PSU, Iowa, OSU and tOSU. The rest of the programs need to pick off a guy like Carr every once in a while and develop the rest of the guys like Degen, Foster, etc.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I think Gomez (if healthy) and Carr would be the high impact highly rated recruits. Colbray still has the talent to be a high impact wrestler, but needs to put it together. I would also argue the staff has done a great job developing Degen into an impact wrestler (believe he was ranked like 75th in his class big board) and has also done a very good job developing Parker into an impact wrestler (also not a very high ranked recruit). It would not surprise me to see Degen make a run to the finals this year and I think Parker has what it takes to AA. The way Iowa State will be successful is landing 1-2 highly ranked wrestlers each class (really need to land Facundo and/or Ayala) while also developing the mid-to-lower ranked guys into AA candidates (Broderson, Coleman, Reeves, Cam Robinson, Paniro come to mind).

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Nice article in the F.D.Messenger about Teske's tranfer. Sorry don't have subscription to have the ability to link.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA

I know, as a fan, it is very easy for me to forget that these wrestlers are just kids - still trying to figure out their world and themselves. Taking classes, worrying about grades, tests, papers, quizzes, etc. while also trying to make weight, train, and compete at the highest collegiate level.

I hope Brody has found a situation that works for him. Thanks for posting this article!

Sturge34

Oct 28, 2019
I know, as a fan, it is very easy for me to forget that these wrestlers are just kids - still trying to figure out their world and themselves. Taking classes, worrying about grades, tests, papers, quizzes, etc. while also trying to make weight, train, and compete at the highest collegiate level.

I hope Brody has found a situation that works for him. Thanks for posting this article!
Agreed. We all want to judge these young men so quickly, I think we forget we all made decisions on a whim and then realize later that it was not in out best interest. After reading that article I wish that kid nothing but the best and hope he succeeds on the mat!

• Agree
Reactions: bthomps01

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I think Gomez (if healthy) and Carr would be the high impact highly rated recruits. Colbray still has the talent to be a high impact wrestler, but needs to put it together. I would also argue the staff has done a great job developing Degen into an impact wrestler (believe he was ranked like 75th in his class big board) and has also done a very good job developing Parker into an impact wrestler (also not a very high ranked recruit). It would not surprise me to see Degen make a run to the finals this year and I think Parker has what it takes to AA. The way Iowa State will be successful is landing 1-2 highly ranked wrestlers each class (really need to land Facundo and/or Ayala) while also developing the mid-to-lower ranked guys into AA candidates (Broderson, Coleman, Reeves, Cam Robinson, Paniro come to mind).
OK this needs its own thread but what is up here? I have essentially given up on this recruitment and it makes me extremely sad. And that's because all signs point to him really wanting to be a cyclone. But they also point to his family disowning him if he does(seems to have all the family pressure to go anywhere else). Am I reading that right?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Agreed. We all want to judge these young men so quickly, I think we forget we all made decisions on a whim and then realize later that it was not in out best interest. After reading that article I wish that kid nothing but the best and hope he succeeds on the mat!
The only issues I had with Teske picking PSU was you knew what they had in the room and the way things work there. And you know Sanderson was recruiting him in case he turned into Andrew Long, but full well expected him to never see the mat regularly. I think most knew it was a scam but Brody.

Sturge34

Oct 28, 2019
The only issues I had with Teske picking PSU was you knew what they had in the room and the way things work there. And you know Sanderson was recruiting him in case he turned into Andrew Long, but full well expected him to never see the mat regularly. I think most knew it was a scam but Brody.
How do you know that? Scam seems like a terrible description of the situation. You are a 4 time state champ with a career record of 177-1. I take it as he wanted to test himself at the best wrestling program in the nation and to be coached by the greatest wrestler of the last 50 years. I probably would have made the jump if I was given the opportunity. The kid shouldn't have any regrets, you do not want to look back 30 years from now and think I should have at least given it a shot.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The only thing that was puzzling about the Teske recruiting is why was he supposedly so high on Cael's wish list. Cael has landing top 10 kids left and right and everyone to think that Brody was his top priority. Teske was #34.

But maybe that was the best 125 pounder available (Teasdale was committed to Iowa then, I think) and he couldn't miss out on him. Maybe that was just fans talking about Cael's level of interest and not the case.

I don't know for sure what he was getting for a scholarship. I read the article that said a full ride and was later changed. Maybe he got a bunch of academic money. I am not sure how smart he is.

I don't blame Brody at all for going to Penn State. And I am not sure what Cael's thoughts were when he recruited him. Heck all 3 state schools were after him hard also.

Last edited:

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
OK this needs its own thread but what is up here? I have essentially given up on this recruitment and it makes me extremely sad. And that's because all signs point to him really wanting to be a cyclone. But they also point to his family disowning him if he does(seems to have all the family pressure to go anywhere else). Am I reading that right?

I am not aware of any of that...but haven't heard much on his recruitment in a while