NCAA Tourney Path

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
As many have said, we have a solid opportunity to do this still. But, a lot to get done to do it.

The bubble has been super soft the past few years, so if we get close at all we have a chance.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think the fate was sewn after the Florida A&M and TCU games. 10-5 (2-1) looks WAY different than 8-7 (1-2). I think we have to go 11-7 in conference play with 2 wins in KC and that ain’t happening

Yeah, still a long ways to go, but I posted that in another thread, that those two games are going to look a lot more important if the team gets its act together. Pretty sure winning one in Hilton is far short of that, but it is a start.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
cf043ba3281fee83dbab04e5d8233443695dab10.gif
FAMU is a quadrant 5 loss.
No hope

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
1) how many 18-15 teams have gotten at large in NCAA tournament ?
2) how many of those that got in had a <300 RPI loss ?
Depends. But I doubt many of those squads had 4 wins against the Top 25. The loss without Halliburton won’t hold us back as much in that scenario.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Last night was an good win, but a lot went right. I would still say we have about a 5% chance of making the NCAA tournament based on our regular season. Maybe that bumps to 15% if we can get hot for 3-4 days in KC.

IMO we are in the Tournament if we go 12-6 in Big 12 play plus win 1 game in KC. That would mean we finish top 3 or 4 in conference play. A win against Auburn would also offset the FL A&M loss. If we go 11-7, beat Auburn and win a game in KC I think our chances are 50/50.

If we go 12-6 we are most definitely in without a bubble conversation. That record would almost assuredly finish third in the conference this year. We'd have to go 3-4 against KU, BU, WVU, and TTU the rest of the way while winning all other games.

10-8 is the bubble line IMO. 11-7 is in.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: VeloClone and Pat
D

Deleted member 8507

19 wins to be in. regular season and KC combined.
18 wins to be on the bubble (season and KC).

upload_2020-1-13_8-20-4.png

Last edited by a moderator:

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
It's not simply about our record. . . it's about who we've lost to and how badly. To have any chance at all we'd not only have to steal wins against Kansas or Baylor, but also be hot at the end of the season.

I do think the ceiling on this team is much higher than what we've seen up until now, but I just believe the damage is done at this point.

It's not impossible! I didn't think Prohm would change (calling timeouts during OUR runs, changing lineups), but he showed on Saturday that he can. I think this program and this season rides not so much on the players, but on whether Prohm puts them in a position to succeed.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I would say top 1/2 of the Big 12 with at least 3 wins over the combination of Baylor, Auburn, Texas Tech, WVU may get it done. And hope like hell Seton Hall keeps improving.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
I think 5 or 6 teams from the Big12 will make it so finish in the top half of the confrence.

Win out at home, sweep Kstate, OsU, and OU puts at 11-7 in conference and i think we sneak in.

Steal a win against BU, Tech, or WV and were in.

Would be a crazy turn around this season, but its still possible.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
If they can go 11-7 and beat Auburn, 1 in KC they're in. Big wins are worth more than bad losses.

Let's just try not to get killed at Baylor first.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
If they can go 11-7 and beat Auburn, 1 in KC they're in. Big wins are worth more than bad losses.

Also I've seen the "X player didn't play" in a bad loss excuse work for other teams come selection sunday. I would think Tyrese is deserving of that same treatment, although I'm not sure I've ever seen this rationale used for as bad of a team as Floridan A&M.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'd be thrilled with NIT for this team. It would be a great accomplishment on the back of the FAMU loss and getting shellacked by Iowa at home. A win against Auburn would be huge, we would be their first loss, barring them losing in the <2 weeks before we play them, not gonna count on it, but watching Pearl vs Prohm will be fun.

Off the top of my head, we sweep KSU and OSU, split Texas, get TCU on the flip, and I'll say we get one win in 4 tries vs Texas Tech and WVU. Not beating Baylor or KU, and will compete but fall short in round #2 vs OU. At most that's 7 more wins on the calendar for winter/spring 2020, so I'd say at 15-16 8-10 we'd probably need a win or two in KC to even get us to the NIT. It's not flashy, but I think I'd actually take the result, considering the circumstances. I'd obviously prefer better, but this team is what it is.

Realism reigns!

Reactions: Statefan10

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

I have to agree. ISU needs to just worry about the next game (Baylor) and bank some wins. Good wins mean more than bad losses so just getting 10 wins isn't as important as what those 10 W are. Luckily the entire landscape of CBB is pretty down so i'll predict a soft bubble come March which helps.
The TCU game really stings, getting that one which the team deserved, would really help at the end of the season. Still the season is far from over play like vs OU form here out and there will be W's and fingers crossed it'll be enough.

• Agree

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
A pharmacist could make a killing on manic-depressive medications for this board. Two days ago we were the worst team in the country, now we are competing for a national championship.

We will know a lot more about this team after the next 5 games.

You of all people lecturing others about keeping their emotions in check is priceless. Thanks for the laugh

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
A pharmacist could make a killing on manic-depressive medications for this board. Two days ago we were the worst team in the country, now we are competing for a national championship.

We will know a lot more about this team after the next 5 games.

Go ahead-- show me one post that says we are the worst team in the country and one post that says we are competing for a national championship.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Win out at home and then pick off a few of the bottom teams on the road like OU, KSU, Texas. Then make sure you win the first game in KC.

• Agree