rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Exactly
We've gotten benefit of good seeding the last 7 years by
1) Ton of top 25-50 wins
2) Lack of sub 150-200 losses

Frankly the Big 12 has a glaring lack of mid to bottom depth. ISU TCU KState, Texas and Okie State are all poor teams and not sure WVU and TTech can stick in the top 25 all year.

Baylor, Kansas and West Virginia will all be #1 or #2 seeds in the NCAA Tournament.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I've largely stayed out of the fray on this thing, but beating a middling OU team vs. looking at our larger body of work did nothing to tell me we can work our way back into the tournament discussion.

You can discuss the peripherals all you want but this looks like an average team with an average coaching staff (that's locked up until my high school junior is through with college) that finally decided to shake things up only after some of the worst home losses we've seen in years forced their hand. The former will happen with the talent we lost off last year's team. The latter is what scares me.

The effort from the kids was definitely there Saturday so that's encouraging. Beyond that, I think Jim Mora sums up my feelings pretty well.

Haha! That's a pretty accurate post, but you get out of hear with your realism! We can dream can't we!? ;-)

Saturday was a good start and maybe my view is colored because I didn't see either the KU or FAMU games, but there's still a chance (albeit very slim from a realistic point of view...)

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
You can say "this is how we make the tournament" while still thinking we won't make it.I haven't seen one person say beating OU was season changing but it definitely gave reason to be optimistic considering the league isn't too intimidating. Crazy how many people are willing to 100% sum up a season based on one or two bad losses but refuse to see the benefit of a win. I'd take being middling with OU over what where we looked like we could be heading ltowards last week.
It was definitely nice to grab that win on Saturday and win it convincingly, but the thing keeping me from getting very optimistic is how wildly inconsistent Prohms teams are. Our last place finish 2 years ago included beating #8 Tech by 18 and beating #15 WVU by 16. Those ended up being 2 of our only 4 wins and in the end those huge wins got us last place by 4 games. Luckily for us, the Big 12 stinks so I don't see last place, but I definitely expect some real head scratching losses to come in our future this year yet.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

StevieISU23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
ISU Confrence schedule is Front Heavy.
1st Half: Find a way to 3-6
2nd Half: Could go 6-3
9-9, +1 in KC

ISU Dancing.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
ISU Confrence schedule is Front Heavy.
1st Half: Find a way to 3-6
2nd Half: Could go 6-3
9-9, +1 in KC

ISU Dancing.

That 9-9 would have to include at least 3 wins over a combination of Kansas, Baylor and WVU for me to feel good at 9-9. We didn't exactly light the world on fire with non-conference wins.

• Winner
Reactions: tzjung

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That 9-9 would have to include at least 3 wins over a combination of Kansas, Baylor and WVU for me to feel good at 9-9. We didn't exactly light the world on fire with non-conference wins.
If we go 9-9, I think we'd have to win @ Auburn, which would give us 17 wins and then I'd think we'd have to win 2 games at the Big 12 tournament. The thing is, if we would end up going 9-9 or 10-8 in the conference and compete or even beat BU, WVU, or KU in the games we play them, I wouldn't be surprised if we'd steal two down in KC. With that conference record and a couple of quality wins, coupled with the fact that we usually play very solid down there, I could see it.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think people are excited after the OU win not just because of the win but because it seemed like a fundamentally different team schematically and spiritually.

We played small. There was movement on offense. Conditt was the featured big man finally. We mixed and matched different defenses to play to the strength of the personnel current out there, and Jackson finally found his stroke. It was fun.

If we squeaked by, I doubt I feel this way. But we rolled them by 20 at half.

We are excited because it felt like a different team. Will that stick? Even if it sticks, will it be enough -- are we too far behind to salvage a tournament run?

Who knows right now.

But just having those possibilities again is fun.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Baylor, Kansas and West Virginia will all be #1 or #2 seeds in the NCAA Tournament.

I'll take that wager.

Gonzaga is all but guaranteed a #1 seed.
ACC champ is getting a 1 or 2
SEC champ (Auburn or Kentucky) is getting a 1 or 2.
Butler and SDSU have relatively easy schedules.
Big 10 champ is likely taking one of these.

The Big 12, especially in a down year, is not getting 3 of the 8 slots here.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'll take that wager.

Yeah I'd bet that KU or BU gets a 1, the other gets a 2 or a 3, and then WVU gets a 3 or a 4. I would bet WVU dips a bit in production as the conference season continues.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I'll take that wager.

Sounds good. I will take the wager that West Virginia stays in the Top 25 (6 Seed) which was your original post and what I responded to. If WVU is a #7 seed or worse then I pay you $50 if Baylor, KU and WVU are all #2 seed or better than you pay me $50. In between is a wash. Good?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
1) how many 18-15 teams have gotten at large in NCAA tournament ?
2) how many of those that got in had a <300 RPI loss ?

Vandy in 2017 is only 18-15 team to get an at-large. (That includes wins in the conference tournament). Also had I think the top non-conference SOS and was something like 7-10 away from home. Not sure about bad losses (had some "dud" losses for sure, but recalling that only in the general sense).

Past two seasons, Alabama and Florida each finished 19-15 and got a bid.

(Apparently SEC teams have figured out a system to get in with 15 losses LOL)

Reactions: Statefan10

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Vandy in 2017 is only 18-15 team to get an at-large. (That includes wins in the conference tournament). Also had I think the top non-conference SOS and was something like 7-10 away from home. Not sure about bad losses (had some "dud" losses for sure, but recalling that only in the general sense).

Past two seasons, Alabama and Florida each finished 19-15 and got a bid.

(Apparently SEC teams have figured out a system to get in with 15 losses LOL)
The bias extends beyond the gridiron, apparently

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I thought this was helpful, too --

upload_2020-1-13_16-5-32.png

Man, having TCU and FAMU back right now would be really helpful.

It looks like the magic number is 18. We are 8-7.

10-8 and one W in KC?

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I thought this was helpful, too --

View attachment 69721

Man, having TCU and FAMU back right now would be really helpful.

It looks like the magic number is 18. We are 8-7.

9-9 and one W in KC?
I honestly don't know what I'd rather have.. 14-15 wins at the end basically knowing those two wins wouldn't have guaranteed a berth, or getting to 16-17 wins, not getting in and those two games being the reason why we missed the tournament.

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I honestly don't know what I'd rather have.. 14-15 wins at the end basically knowing those two wins wouldn't have guaranteed a berth, or getting to 16-17 wins, not getting in and those two games being the reason why we missed the tournament.

Look at it this way --

There are likely to be at least a handful (if not more) games that come down to the last possession in the Big 12. Some of those will go our way and other teams will be like, "If only we won that Iowa State game," and some of them are going to come out like the FAMU debacle and the nut shot at the end of regulation against TCU.

Move those close wins/losses between the columns a little and, for any decent season, you can probably construct yourself a narrative of being "this close."

I do agree with you on FAMU and TCU, though. Those two are going to be hard to forget if it comes down to that. Our maximum win expectations --

FAMU = 97.8% (at the tip-off, unfortunately)
TCU = 93.9% (right before the banked in the three-pointer)

They even had around an 80% win expectation when up one late against FAMU. They needed one more stop against that and, well, we know what happened.

Those are two that were about as close to the win column as they get.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Look at it this way --

There are likely to be at least a handful (if not more) games that come down to the last possession in the Big 12. Some of those will go our way and other teams will be like, "If only we won that Iowa State game," and some of them are going to come out like the FAMU debacle and the nut shot at the end of regulation against TCU.

Move those close wins/losses between the columns a little and, for any decent season, you can probably construct yourself a narrative of being "this close."

I do agree with you on FAMU and TCU, though. Those two are going to be hard to forget if it comes down to that. Our maximum win expectations --

FAMU = 97.8% (at the tip-off, unfortunately)
TCU = 93.9% (right before the banked in the three-pointer)

They even had around an 80% win expectation when up one late against FAMU. They needed one more stop against that and, well, we know what happened.

Those are two that were about as close to the win column as they get.
Completely agree. Being 10-5 right now would feel a hell of a lot better than being 8-7. Have to play the cards you're dealt though.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Completely agree. Being 10-5 right now would feel a hell of a lot better than being 8-7. Have to play the cards you're dealt though.

We are #42 in line (aw that sucks) for the tournament right now on BT.

Flipping the FAMU and TCU games to wins --

We increase to #18 in line.

It would not solve the problem, but it would help a lot.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron