Huggs Fined by Big 12

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
8233694.gif
blade-trinity-5uqXbuViBrNMA

http://wvmetronews.com/2020/01/07/big-12-fines-west-virginias-huggins-10k-for-comments-on-officials/

Huggy:
"It’s a hard deal. If they didn’t get paid so damn much, I’d feel bad for them. But since I know what their paycheck is, I don’t feel a bit sorry for them.”

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Pay it in pennies. I get officiating is hard. But I also don't understand the complete lack of accountability and the fact that the topic is forbidden to speak about. It's as large of a part of the game as anything--let coaches talk about it. So they hurt their feelings--who cares?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Any other coach I'd feel sorry for. 90% of WVU's games are a joke where they foul 20x more than their opponent yet get about the same number of fouls called or even less.

Only KU gets more help from the officials than WVU. Half of their players should foul out in the first half of every game if the officials did their jobs correctly.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Huggins can hardly expect any official to swallow their whistle during a WVA game. Blood and broken bones would likely be the result.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Huggs working the officials even in the pressers. He gripes about every single call during the game, even though only about 30% of what his players do gets called in the first place. Well, hell, it's working for him so why not do it??

The $10k fine is a great investment, they will likely win another game or two in the margins based on refs ignoring another call or two...

I do agree there should be some kind of conference review of officiating. I'd keep it in-house and highly confidential, like any other job performance review. Have an expert go over all the game films, then go back with each ref and look at missed calls, wrong calls, right calls, positioning, etc. Use it to help the refs recognize their blind spots and get better. It's not like the conference doesn't have some $ to spend on it.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Huggs working the officials even in the pressers. He gripes about every single call during the game, even though only about 30% of what his players do gets called in the first place. Well, hell, it's working for him so why not do it??

The $10k fine is a great investment, they will likely win another game or two in the margins based on refs ignoring another call or two...

I do agree there should be some kind of conference review of officiating. I'd keep it in-house and highly confidential, like any other job performance review. Have an expert go over all the game films, then go back with each ref and look at missed calls, wrong calls, right calls, positioning, etc. Use it to help the refs recognize their blind spots and get better. It's not like the conference doesn't have some $ to spend on it.
That is what every official goes through. Every game is reviewed by the conference and game replays, with critiques, are required viewing by each official the next day.

Egregious errors cause reassignments downward. Assignments are like soccer relaxation, the bottom move to lower levels, high achievers move up.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I think it was a calculated risk from Huggins, could well work, like a properly timed coach technical.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
That is what every official goes through. Every game is reviewed by the conference and game replays, with critiques, are required viewing by each official the next day.

Egregious errors cause reassignments downward. Assignments are like soccer relaxation, the bottom move to lower levels, high achievers move up.

Officials really should be full time, so that rules and restrictions can be put into place. You can't tell me that a ref that did a game, got on a plane that night and worked another game across the country the next night can do a good job.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He's not wrong but he's also not a great source.

Officiating is tough but in football and basketball when there is absolutely obvious fouls/holds/penalties and a ref is just standing there, you have to question their accountability. This isn't just ISU-related.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
He needs to talk to Fran F, he said last night, this is the best officiated league in the country.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I do agree there should be some kind of conference review of officiating. I'd keep it in-house and highly confidential like any other job performance review. Have an expert go over all the game films, then go back with each ref and look at missed calls, wrong calls, right calls, positioning, etc. Use it to help the refs recognize their blind spots and get better. It's not like the conference doesn't have some $ to spend on it.

I only disagreed because it shouldn't be confidential. I'm not sure why refs should be protected, if they make a erroneous call they should have to answer for it. For example Higgins should have had to answer what he saw to not over turn the out of bounds call against TCU. Have him sit in a press conference, pull up the replay and walk us through his "no change call".

Last edited:

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I only disagreed because it shouldn't be confidential. I'm not sure why refs should be protected, if they make a erroneous call they should have to answer for it. For example Higgins should have had to answer what he saw to not over turn the out of bounds call against TCU. Have him sit in a press conference, pull up the replay and walk us through his "no change call".

The NBA may have hit the sweet spot with the Last Two Minute Reports. The league can publicly acknowledge mistakes (and correct calls) without putting a ref in front of the cameras and forcing them to admit a mistake. Or, worse, contort themselves to defend a terrible call, which is what seems to happen in the pool interviews that I read.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If he was to answer truthfully it would probably be something like this: "It did look like the TCU player was the last to touch the ball but since the TCU player losing the ball appeared to be because of a missed reach-in foul on ISU I just figured I would let the call stand."

It isn't the way it is supposed to be called, but that sure looked like what happened and, frankly, I can't get too upset about it.