Huggs Fined by Big 12

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If he was to answer truthfully it would probably be something like this: "It did look like the TCU player was the last to touch the ball but since the TCU player losing the ball appeared to be because of a missed reach-in foul on ISU I just figured I would let the call stand."

It isn't the way it is supposed to be called, but that sure looked like what happened and, frankly, I can't get too upset about it.

And I would love for him to answer it that way. Because a missed foul call is no reason to not make the correct out of bounds call.

You don't go with a 100% wrong call just because you missed a foul.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I've sat across the court from Huggins at the Big 12 tournament. He absolutely rips the refs apart during the game. I remember him doing a particularly good job on a ref one day, but then being all buddy-buddy with the same ref before the game on the next day. He isn't just a ref-basher. Huggins is a master ref-manipulator. No doubt, this is a worthwhile, calculated investment on his part.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
If he was to answer truthfully it would probably be something like this: "It did look like the TCU player was the last to touch the ball but since the TCU player losing the ball appeared to be because of a missed reach-in foul on ISU I just figured I would let the call stand."

It isn't the way it is supposed to be called, but that sure looked like what happened and, frankly, I can't get too upset about it.

It was clearly a make up call since the foul was missed.
Is that correct? No.
Is it fair? Yeah, I think so.

That mindset would prevent, say, 3 pointers scored between free-throw attempts...

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Agreed. As bad as the missed foul was, the replay was about who touched the ball. And it was clear that they made the wrong call, yet didn't reverse it. Is that really good officiating or really bad officiating? I'd say bad because the review had a clear purpose that was subverted.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
And I would love for him to answer it that way. Because a missed foul call is no reason to not make the correct out of bounds call.

Yup, I know you aren't supposed to. I would rather see what we saw there than see the phantom make-up foul on the next possession, because that is more costly than the out of bounds turnover and can mean that a key player is unavailable to you. And you see that a lot.

It isn't what is supposed to happen but it clearly often does happen.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Yup, I know you aren't supposed to. I would rather see what we saw there than see the phantom make-up foul on the next possession, because that is more costly than the out of bounds turnover and can mean that a key player is unavailable to you. And you see that a lot.

It isn't what is supposed to happen but it clearly often does happen.

This is revisionist, but I'd of rather got the ball and had a phantom foul later considering TCU hit a 3 off that out of bounds.

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Any other coach I'd feel sorry for. 90% of WVU's games are a joke where they foul 20x more than their opponent yet get about the same number of fouls called or even less.

Only KU gets more help from the officials than WVU. Half of their players should foul out in the first half of every game if the officials did their jobs correctly.

At this point I'd root for ISU to do that strategy this year...

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think Huggy and Fran types are ridiculous, don't get me wrong. There's no excuse to go apoplectic towards someone for missing a call here and there. In no other realm of society is that type of behavior allowable, I'm not sure why sports are an exception. I'd be all for fines and/or more ejections for that type of person-to-person behavior.

With that said, I think this notion that you can't even comment on the officiating is dumb. It's a part of the game. It's relevant to the subject matter. It's silly to dance around the subject.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA

Completely agree, call the game straight up because when you start justifying a wrong call because of a missed call then where does it end.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt