Lazard on Packer roster

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
He has been super inconsistent for GB. Drops a lot of easy catches and generally just doesn't get open. Rodgers needs WRs who are able to get open when the play is broken, Jimmy can't do that at all. He will drop a wide open pass (like on sunday to start the game) and then somehow catch a really contested ball the next drive. it's weird but he won't be back. We also have a rookie TE that just came off IR a few weeks ago that they are pretty high on.
What a strange case Jimmy Graham is. He is getting a little old for a skill position player, but no excuse when you've got even older guys producing at that position (Witten, Gates as recently as last year, and Tony Gonzalez who played effectively til he was 37. He was at one time, far and away the best receiving TE in the league. Further evidence of how quickly your light can be snuffed out.

I really like that Lazard is doing well in GB. I am not a Packers fan, butI live in eastern Iowa surrounded by Hawk/Packer fans everywhere and you would not believe the glares I get from them at sports bars/buffalo wild wings when Allen makes a play and I loudly bring up how he went to Iowa State. It usually quiets their cheers a bit, which is sad that they can't be happy for a player on their favorite pro team that played for their most despised college rival.

Reactions: isubeatle

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
Go check out his stats. They're no better than Lazards, and GB can save 8 mill against the cap by cutting him for next year according to OTC.

As a chiefs fan, I know I've been spoiled with Tony G. and Travis K., but there are so many young tight ends out there right now that you can't justify paying Jimmy Graham $11 mill in bonus and salary next year.
I'm still mad we got rid of Jared Cook.

• Agree
Reactions: Peter

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
I'm not sure if he realizes this, but the niners have a great #2 guy already in Deebo Samuel. He'll probably supplant Sanders as the #1 by the halfway point of next season honestly.
i was thinking that myself. Deebo has come on really strong that past 6-7 games. He's one to watch next year for sure.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I'm not sure if he realizes this, but the niners have a great #2 guy already in Deebo Samuel. He'll probably supplant Sanders as the #1 by the halfway point of next season honestly.
Deebo is a different kind of receiver. You don’t replace a speed guy with a possession guy. Sanders and Lazard running slant routes and ins while Deebo goes deep would be a great pairing. Kittle on top of that would just be gravy.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Glad to see MVS in the dog house, that guy sucks. The Packers do need to get a #2 type receiver in the offseason, either in free agency or the draft. Right now Adams and Lazard are the only consistent receivers they have.

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
I hope the Packers reward Lazard. According to multiple places I've looked, Lazard is an ERFA (Exclusive rights free agent). Negotiation ability for ERFAs is pretty crappy. If I'm reading the NFL rules correctly (linked and in quotes below), the Packers can offer the league minimum and Lazard can't look elsewhere. To make it worse, 2019 appears to be Lazard's 1st "accrued season" and "credited season" since he only played 1 game in 2018.

Exclusive rights free agent (ERFA): Any player with fewer than three accrued seasons and an expired contract. If his original team offers him a one-year contract and the league minimum (based on his credited seasons), the player cannot negotiate with other teams.

Accrued seasons: Used to determine a player's free agency status (unrestricted, restricted, exclusive rights). In order to accrue a season, a player must have been on (or should have been on) full-play status for at least six regular-season games in a given season. A player under contract must report to his team at least 30 days prior to the start of the regular season to accrue a season.

Credited seasons: Used as a measure for many benefits, it's most notably used to determine a player's minimum salary. To earn a credited season, a player must be on full-pay status for a total of three or more regular season games.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I hope the Packers reward Lazard. According to multiple places I've looked, Lazard is an ERFA (Exclusive rights free agent). Negotiation ability for ERFAs is pretty crappy. If I'm reading the NFL rules correctly (linked and in quotes below), the Packers can offer the league minimum and Lazard can't look elsewhere. To make it worse, 2019 appears to be Lazard's 1st "accrued season" and "credited season" since he only played 1 game in 2018.

Packers will likely sign him to a 2-3 year deal worth $1mil-$1.5 mil or so a year....He currently makes $500k a year. Packers have a couple other WR's who don't play that are URFA in 2020 they will drop likely and make salary room.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
Packers will likely sign him to a 2-3 year deal worth $1mil-$1.5 mil or so a year....He currently makes $500k a year. Packers have a couple other WR's who don't play that are URFA in 2020 they will drop likely and make salary room.
I asked about this on reddit and here’s one of the replies I got:

“Lazard is a ERFA= Exclusive Rights Free Agent - Teams ony need to offer them a minimum terms one year contract and they are under contract to the team. UDFAs have to have 3 years of playing before they move on to RFAs.

I don't know if they can pay more if they want to. The new CBA may come into play too.”

• Informative
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

CyBlock

Oct 1, 2019
Another cool little clip about a personnel package designed around AL's blocking ability. The "little things" matter.

https://www.packers.com/video/rock-report-11-goon

I just saw this today while doing a little searching before the game tonight. "11-goon"....that's awesome! A 6'5" receiver with physicality/blocking, and catching skills will always play in the NFL. Had a chance to get input from Dean Lowry a few weeks ago, and Lazard will not be going anywhere soon if the Packers have their wish...They will lock up Lazard in the offseason, and he will have a tremendous career in GB!

• Friendly
Reactions: CubsClones1

cloneclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2018
Lazard injured his ankle in a pretty nasty hit from his rb at the end of the first half. He was able to jog to the locker room but didn't return to play. Hopefully he's all good for next week!