Vote for your Lineup Preference

What is your preferred starting lineup going forward?

• Halliburton, Bolton, Jackson, Lewis, Young

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Halliburton, Jackson, Lewis, Griffin, Conditt

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
You can;t start Nixon, Mike and Solo. They are just all 3 role players, 6th man type of guys on quality big 12 team. They're serviceable so you can get by with starting one or two of them but there is too much redundancy with what they bring offensively to have all 3 on the floor as much as we do. Ideally, Conditt and Solo would make up the frontcourt but neither can guard a wing when teams play small, we haven't seen them on the floor at all this year (or very little, I can't recall it happening) so I doubt it happens.

We are kind of stuck with the roster we have, Prohm is just trying to get by with playing the best 5/6 players, not necessarily guys who's skill set compliment one another. I don't think major adjustments are needed in mpg but a mixing things up needs to happen.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
While I agree that Conditt can't get into foul trouble, if he's going to be a starter in the future and is currently our best big man (I doubt there's a debate there), he needs to be starting. Everyone in the arena gets excited when that guy checks in, so why are you not starting him from the get go? I think Prohm makes that change and hopefully even something as small as that can give this team an edge.
I am just saying that maybe Prohm has it in his mind that he can't start a mold like that because Lard was always in foul trouble.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I just realized I have the lineup of:

Halliburton, Bolton, Lewis, Conditt, Young

in there twice! Oops.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I am just saying that maybe Prohm has it in his mind that he can't start a mold like that because Lard was always in foul trouble.
That certainly makes sense. I do think though that the change should be made and hopefully Prohm thinks that too. Got to get your best guys out on the court. Can't be scared to start your best post player because of hypotheticals situations.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I like Haliburton, Nixon, Bolton, Jackson, Conditt. Have not been a fan of the 2-post lineups this year. Jackson is still getting his feet under him but seems like a "Nixon-lite" on defense and has grit, and gives you a better shot to hit a 3 than Jacobson.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Well, I don't think you can get Nixon out of there because of his defense, just need to have him stop shooting so many wild 3s. Haliburton is also a given. Bolton seems like he is really good one night and not so much the next, but he is capable. Beyond that, not really sure. have to go with Jacobson or Young in the post. Conditt is good in stretches, but he is pretty limited offensively, gets lost on defense, blocks a lot of shots. Just a lot of opportunities on this team for a guy that can make a shot. Griffin is a guy that can in with some high praise, but we have not seen much from him on offense, shot has no arch. Grill looks like deer in the headlights out there, but he came in as a shooter, so maybe if the game slows down for him he can help.

These guys can't be shooting this bad in practice or Prohm would be building the team around attacking the basket. At this point, hope is all we have.

• Agree
Reactions: HouClone

azhuth09

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 6, 2012
Des Moines, IA
IMO it doesn't really matter. There is a gaping hole at the 3 and 4 spot, and right now there isn't anyone on the roster that can fill it. Griffin either hasn't developed or needs to accept the Ejim/Hogue role and to quit thinking he's Tyrus McGee. Jacobson is a nightmare. And, Lewis made a three last night but clearly he's just chucking as soon as he gets in the game and completely lost on D.

I would kill to even have Zoran Talley back at this point.

We have an 8 man rotation of 4 shooting guards who can't shoot, it's not a recipe for success.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
For me, it's:

Nixon, Jackson, Bolton, Haliburton, Conditt.

Four best perimeter defenders around your best rim protector defensively. Offensively, four guards around one big means more space to drive / ball screen which should be what this team tries to do on offense since they are poor shooters.

Yes, it's a small lineup, but we don't rebound well even with two bigs on the floor so I'm not going to worry much about that.
Yup, roll with this lineup. Crank up the defensive intensity and run the floor for easy buckets.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Halliburton, Nixon, Bolton, Conditt, Jacobson

I like having Conditt on the floor with energy at the beginning of the game. Falling into a hole early is brutal for this team since we are not built to come from behind. That would let Jacobson start at the 4 and let him cover the weak-side rebound after Conditt contests a shot. If either big lacks energy or gets in trouble with fouls, bring in Solo.

I think this is probably the most likely change. Not because Jacobson is really outplaying Solo, but more because Jacobson is closer to a stretch 4 than Solomon - especially with guarding the perimeter.

I see an argument for a Haliburton, Jackson, Nixon, Bolton, Conditt/Jacobson 4 guard starting 5. But man, are we small that way and Tre Jackson just flat out isn't hitting shots right now. I think that's a lineup you deploy situationally for now. Really hope the freshmen's shooting comes around.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Everybody except Haliburton has been really inconsistent. At this point I don't think I would have a consistent starting lineup. I would make guys earn it game to game. Based on last night, I would start Haliburton, Nixon, Grill, Lewis, and Solo next game. Those guys gave the best effort in my opinion. They may not be our best five, but the effort last night was not good enough.

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
It doesn’t matter what lineup you have out there with this team. I’m so sick of all this lineup talk. Jackson, Grill and griffin have done nothing all year to be thrown In the “starting lineup” or to be playing significant playing time..... oh wait, they have to play because our bench isn’t deep at all. Should Conditt start? Maybe. That’s not going to win us anymore games tho by him starting. It’s called being able to hit the 3 ball with consistency and then I will pick you as a starter. Prohm better be going out and finding himself a grad transfer shooter that can hit threes next year or it’s going to be the same damnnnnn thing but worse with Haliburton gone. Bad, bad times for cyclone basketball. Not a fan at all of Prohm. He really lost me last year when he had the most talented team in the big 12 and everyone started to pick us to win the conference and then the next game we come out and lost at home.... pathetic basketball.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
The current lineup can stay. Steve just needs to actually step up and make a coaching decision and take away Nixon’s green light. Bolton should also be considered for having his removed as well.

• Agree
Reactions: dtISU

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Start Conditt for MJ or Young, not sure which. Slow starts killing us.

lineup Fitzy suggested (TH, Nixon, Bolton, Jackson, Conditt) intriguing. Curious how much that has been out there this year.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Halliburton, Ni
That would let Jacobson start at the 4 and let him cover the weak-side rebound after Conditt contests a shot. If either big lacks energy or gets in trouble with fouls, bring in Solo.

I like Jacobson over Young because of rebounding. Also Conditt needs to adjust his mentality to not block every shot. Rebounding and playing solid position defense are sometimes the better choice.

I don't believe a lineup change is the fix. It's intensity, taking better shots, on-ball and rebounding fundamentals.

Also think the coaches need to adjust offensive system to get guys better shots. Relying on ball movement around perimeter and dribble drive isn't solution for this team

• Agree
Reactions: HouClone

Help Support Us

Become a patron