INSTANT REACTION: Iowa 84, Iowa State 68

Cykobabble

Oct 22, 2009
This team cannot afford to lose in Hilton Coliseum. With the grueling Big XII conference schedule looming, winning at home is a must if this team is going to attain 18-20 wins.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
How is it that players at the D1 level can shoot so poorly on a consistent basis? Are they not D1 talent? If so, that’s on the coach. Otherwise it’s on the players to put in the reps and fix it. I remember reading that Jake Sullivan put up 300 threes per practice. It’s time for some change.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Blown out last year at Iowa, blown out this year in Hilton. Iowa looks to be pretty tough next year especially if Bohannon is back. Better get it figured out soon.

How about we dont judge this based off the result of a single game. Matt Campbell has yet to beat Iowa, and no one is looking to hang him on the courthouse lawn. If we can somehow get above .500 in conference play, no one will (well should) care about the game last night.

• Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: 83cy and SpokaneCY

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Pretty obvious except to Mr. Williams. Can't figure out why the offense is so bad, why they keep losing at Hilton, why there was no defense/toughness. Weird that he wouldn't even entertain the idea that coaching may be the issue.

And yet they have been a good road team under Prohm in their NCAA tourney years.
So the toughness sometimes shows up, the offense shows up.

Not saying its not coaching, but it is strange that coaching is solid on the road and not so much at home.

If it was hockey I would say it was the last change rule, problem is the home team gets last change which supposedly allows you to have the best match ups.:confused:

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
How about we dont judge this based off the result of a single game. Matt Campbell has yet to beat Iowa, and no one is looking to hang him on the courthouse lawn. If we can somehow get above .500 in conference play, no one will (well should) care about the game last night.
I agree that we shouldn't toss Prohm out, but let's not compare what MC is doing in football. One of those coaches had a foundation to build upon and the other is building the foundation because it was in rough shape.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Worst loss in Hilton since?

When you consider the difference in score, opponent, and lead up to the game, this ranks up there.

UW Milwaukee was still one of the worst that drubbing was worse than last night given the league from where they came

Lost by 18 to them. That ISU team was not good that year, but they did beat Iowa and UNI

Last edited:

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
it's hard to discuss with out people thinking it's knee jerk or a result of one game, etc...

the thing is, Coach Prohm has been using the same lines post-game for years now. Things about toughness, not executing, not playing defense...these are his areas. How are our players not up for this game. How do they not want it more. WTF is that all about?

I realize the kids play the game but IMO, we continue to be out coached regularly. Our offense is wandering and lost, our defense is terrible and for yet another year, we have ZERO on-court leadership like we've had in the past.

Come at me all you want. I truly like Steve Prohm. He's a class guy and I think he's a good recruiter...but I have yet to see him put a game plan together or show a lasting execution for any of his teams.

He either needs to hire someone to help him or I fear this is going to be the constant for us. And for as much as we all can't stand Fran, his guys play in a "system" and it works for them. They aren't more athletic, but they are a better "team" and it showed last night.

Fran has owned Prohm plain and simple. Everything we saw last night was in one way or another a coaching issue. Prohm himself said they didn't execute their gameplan.

I personally hope Prohm learns and grows, but count me in the group that jumped off his 'bandwagon' last night. I've all but lost hope for this season (Iowa would be a mid tier B12 team), and frankly next season won't look better unless something changes stylistically, fundamentally, or if we have a transcendental incoming player.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Fran has owned Prohm plain and simple. Everything we saw last night was in one way or another a coaching issue. Prohm himself said they didn't execute their gameplan.

I personally hope Prohm learns and grows, but count me in the group that jumped off his 'bandwagon' last night. I've all but lost hope for this season (Iowa would be a mid tier B12 team), and frankly next season won't look better unless something changes stylistically, fundamentally, or if we have a transcendental incoming player.

Thing is this year 5 for him so I do not know how much more growing and learning there is , I suppose there is some. But I mean he had to know Iowa was going to hit them with a zone right? With all their shooting woes And yet it seems like they were shocked to see it.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Dakich was too. If it wasn't for the delay I would have turned down the tv and listened to the radio.

Can't get the radio feed so I just had to watch the game with no commentary. Dakich is a big 10 homer who is very painful to listen to. His past anti--ISU comments were a non-starter and I'm sure I didn't miss much brilliant insight last night.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Can't get the radio feed so I just had to watch the game with no commentary. Dakich is a big 10 homer who is very painful to listen to. His past anti--ISU comments were a non-starter and I'm sure I didn't miss much brilliant insight last night.

We did our best to make Dakich sound like a brilliant basketball mind last night by the soft way we played.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN

I hope this happens, but I would put my expectation this will happen at about 10%.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I didn't post at all last night, to make sure that I didn't say anything from an overly emotional viewpoint. This morning, my thoughts from last night still hold true. At this point in Prohm's tenure, getting blown out by Iowa at Hilton is a serious problem. Winning or losing is one thing, but as I said in the game thread this morning, getting embarrassed at home by this Hawkeye team, is unacceptable. I just don't see any way you can defend Prohm after this loss, there is no excuse for it.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I thought from day one that CSP was not a great X and O's coach. Seems like a good recruiter, however struggles to develop a game plan and really struggles at in game decisions.

Really frustrating to watch this team.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Right now the team should expect a zone defense from the opponent that leaves Nixon wide open to take a shot whenever he gets the ball...pretty simple. Somehow Prohm has to get another shooter on the floor that can help out...because the product out there right now certainly isn't working.