The magic is gone

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Did Duke and Kentucky lose 4 conference home games last year too?

This is what you said:
hat's awful. It really does feel like literally anyone can walk into Hilton and win. Top tier programs don't let that happen

So how is it 2 top tier, 2 of the best let to lower 1 bid league teems walk in to their buildings and get a win. IF Top tier teams don't allow it to happen.

Not happy with home losses, wish it would be better, but if they make up the balance on the road its not as big of a deal

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This is what you said:
hat's awful. It really does feel like literally anyone can walk into Hilton and win. Top tier programs don't let that happen

So how is it 2 top tier, 2 of the best let to lower 1 bid league teems walk in to their buildings and get a win. IF Top tier teams don't allow it to happen.

I think generally considered good programs don't let it happen. It's the way to solidify conference wins and steal a few on the road.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Saying the magic is gone to me is a direct shot at the fans, and us dropping more games than we should at Hilton the last few years is anything but the fans fault.

The problem is that it will eventually trickle down to the fans. First we see empty student sections in non/conf and then we will see empty student sections in the conference games. He needs to hope that TH decides to come back for a third year because if miss the tournament this year and next.....well then JP is going to have a dilemma because fan support will take a hit.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I think generally considered good programs don't let it happen. It's the way to solidify conference wins and steal a few on the road.

Your right.. Wish they win them all at home and do well on the road, like they have done when Prohm has had tourney caliber teams.

Hilton Magic start was much about ISU being poor on the road but pulling off wins at home. People were like WTF..

Last edited:

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
This is what you said:

Here's the difference.
Duke Home losses the last 2 years - Cuse, UNC, SFA
Kentucky - LSU, Evansville
Iowa State - Baylor, K-State, TCU, Tech, Iowa

So to recap here:
Duke and Kentucky home losses the last 2 years combined - 5
Iowa State home losses the last 2 years - 5

Cuse, UNC, and LSU were all tournament teams. TCU went 7-11 in conference and played in the NIT, and I'm not sure anyone is going to argue that we were overwhelmed by the pure talent of the Iowa Hawkeyes today. Sometimes sports are random and other times they aren't. Feels pretty obvious who had the flukes and who has an actual issue winning games you're supposed to win

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Here's the difference.

So to recap here:

Cuse, UNC, and LSU were all tournament teams. TCU went 7-11 in conference and played in the NIT, and I'm not sure anyone is going to argue that we were overwhelmed by the pure talent of the Iowa Hawkeyes today. Sometimes sports are random and other times they aren't. Feels pretty obvious who had the flukes and who has an actual issue winning games you're supposed to win
You are seriously comparing us to Kentucky and Duke? You realize on top of being great home court advantages, they have some of the best talent in the country. Don't like the comparison.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The crowd was awesome tonight when we actually made plays on defense and scored. When you are down 15+ for 30 minutes of the game it’s hard to get off of your ass.
Yea it was awesome when it was within 7 in the 2nd half. Then it all went away and understandingly so.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I almost guarantee we won’t see a student crowd like that the rest of this season. It’s losses like this that get the students completely disinterested in the team.
I knew that when a bunch of the balcony students left with 10 min to go. Some of those won’t come back the rest of the year.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Here's the difference.

So to recap here:

Thanks for stats

Given that 2 are blue bloods with every advantage college basketball has to offer.
The fact the home loss of those 2 programs is the equivalent of ISU actually put ISU in a pretty good light.

So ISU has 3 more a losses at home than Kentucky and 2 more losses than Duke

I actually thought it would be a wider margin.

Now if ISU starts sucking on the road this year, then losses at home are much bigger.

But they could win the rest at home, and that would not get them in the tourney either if they don't pull off a few wins on the road.

Prohm needs to coach better be it road or home that I will not dispute.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY and aobie

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
You are seriously comparing us to Kentucky and Duke? You realize on top of being great home court advantages, they have some of the best talent in the country. Don't like the comparison.
Ok, my points getting lost a bit here. I'm not arguing that we should be Duke and Kentucky, that point was brought up by someone else acting like thinking we should win home games is unreasonable because those two lost random games that wouldn't happen again 99/100. My point is that under Prohm we're letting mediocre teams walk in here and win, and that's even leaving out that one season we sucked badly. Under Fred Iowa didn't win in Ames. NIT teams didn't win in Ames. Outside of growing pains in the Royce year it was Kansas and Baylor. Nobody else did it. Now teams that aren't good are coming into Hilton and winning, and these Prohm teams on paper aren't significantly worse than the Fred teams that could win at home. If that's not alarming then I'm not sure what is.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I almost guarantee we won’t see a student crowd like that the rest of this season. It’s losses like this that get the students completely disinterested in the team.

Yeah, people will criticize the students, but due to turnover student sections are more of a 'what have you done for me lately' kind of crowd. And theyve seen a good deal of home losses.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Yeah, people will criticize the students, but due to turnover student sections are more of a 'what have you done for me lately' kind of crowd. And theyve seen a good deal of home losses.
Definitely agree. During my time on the student section committee, once Fred’s players left, it was damn near impossible to get people in seats without a T-shirt giveaway. Granted it was a down year, during KU and Iowa games that year, the upper deck of the student section was probably 20% full for those games. One game even had a whopping 37 students show up.

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
An iowa fan in front of me was taking a video of the isu fans leaving with about 3 mins left. He was saying look at the magic. Look at all the empty seats. I said yeah it looks like an iowa home big 10 game now.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
The problem is that it will eventually trickle down to the fans. First we see empty student sections in non/conf and then we will see empty student sections in the conference games. He needs to hope that TH decides to come back for a third year because if miss the tournament this year and next.....well then JP is going to have a dilemma because fan support will take a hit.

If we miss the tournament 3 times in years 3-6 JP won’t have much of a dilemma.