WBB Iowa State - Iowa 12/11/2019

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Pretty classless of Doyle to be screaming in celebration knowing Fenelly's situation today. There's a reason she was the only one on her team doing it. Her teammates had more sense.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
You can play hard and not make shots. I don't think it means they were uninspired. But I definitely think their poor shooting effected their defense... maybe frustration of it all. Very disappointed.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Pretty classless of Doyle to be screaming in celebration knowing Fenelly's situation today. There's a reason she was the only one on her team doing it. Her teammates had more sense.

That’s a reach. The other team isn’t allowed to celebrate a big win because of it? Please. Now had she jumped on the scorers table or gotten in the face of our team or coaches you’d be on to something.

I haven’t seen the women play much this year but holy hell they are slow in the guard court. Iowa was so much quicker/more athletic.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Yeah, first women's game iv3 seen this year. Woof. Iowa deserved to win that game as they played better offense, defense, 3 pt shooting. Amazed it was even close other than Ashley Joens played darn hard and carried the team. Too bad nobody else wanted to even lend a hand. Where is Poppins when you need her?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
That’s a reach. The other team isn’t allowed to celebrate a big win because of it? Please. Now had she jumped on the scorers table or gotten in the face of our team or coaches you’d be on to something.

I haven’t seen the women play much this year but holy hell they are slow in the guard court. Iowa was so much quicker/more athletic.

No way you’re defending Iowa?

stunning

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You can play hard and not make shots. I don't think it means they were uninspired. But I definitely think their poor shooting effected their defense... maybe frustration of it all. Very disappointed.

Iowa ran the same stuff for 40 minutes, and we didn’t make any adjustments at all.

D

Deleted member 8507

Why isn't Madison Wise playing?Someone said she has migraines, but you don't sit in a noisy gym with bright lights if you have a migraine.
That is correct. She has missed the last 3-4 games due to migraines. If it doesn't improve soon, I would maybe like to see if she can get a medical, although I don't know if she would even be interested or just take the degree and move on with life.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Two years ago I attended the Gopher/Hawk game and watched the Gopher guards abuse the Hawk guards and beat them in spite of Iowa having Gustafson. Tonight two of those abused guards took us off the dribble seemingly whenever they wanted and totally abused us. Did not see that coming.

Think we've now lost the CyHawk scoring this year even though most of the games fell in Ames. We did win cross country and volleyball. :(

We now have a four game losing streak to the Hawks.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone13 and ISC

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Then that's on the coaches...not the effort of the women, right?

absolutely the lack of adjustments are on the coaches tonight. But did you really think that the girls laid it all out there tonight? Iowa’s did, and I didn’t think we matched their effort or toughness

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
Ashley missed a few bunnies tonight that hurt but I think she tends to get to far under the basket and messes her angle up. Scott couldn't make anything to help Ashley out. Iowa has better athletes this season but with next year's class coming in that'll change. I hope! Ashley needs help hopefully Maggie can shoot a little more!

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
They were really anticipating our passes and getting in the passing lanes. Not sure why we tried to force so many passes at bad angles or with a defender already cutting off that angle.

In the end, you have to think that not just the coaches but also the players were probably also emotionally affected. They still fought hard and were able to keep it close at the end. On to the next one.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
absolutely the lack of adjustments are on the coaches tonight. But did you really think that the girls laid it all out there tonight? Iowa’s did, and I didn’t think we matched their effort or toughness

If you've watched a lot the last twenty years you'd know we have historically had trouble in games against teams that play tough defense and even more so if it's a tough AND physical defense coupled with some offensive ability to accompany it. Physical play is anathema to Fenellys "Iowa State Way". With a couple exceptions, Chelsea Poppens or Jess Schroll, we haven't recruited gals that like to mix it up much. If they do they grab some bench. Jess may be the last player, before she transferred, that I thought might take another players head off if she got pissed. I'd swear after a technical I read her lips saying something like "Is that all you got *****!" to another player that was tussling with her.

Iowa was fueled by their defense and guards breaking us down. We didn't get fueled by anything. Maybe a few threes dropping would have gotten the team and crowd on a roll but we did not get many good looks (credit Iowa D again). Other than that late run the crowd never got into the game.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Unfortunately “The Iowa State Way” will not take us anywhere other than probably one and done NCAAs. Like it or not BF shouldn’t rely only on the finesse.
I was really upset watching the game. It seems the strategy regressed again to give the ball to Joens, similar to Give the Ball to Bridget jn the past.
losing Middleton really hurt - she was techically good but she also had the intensity. I didn’t see the intensity tonigth, no hustle - I thought I would see players fighting hard to deliver a W to BF on this difficult occassion.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Need to give a shout out to @NWICY for letting me sit with him in his most awesome season ticket seats. Even spied a couple of player alumni a few seats away. The loss sucked but it was great to be in Hilton again. NWICY even nabbed himself one of those t-shirts they were throwing into the crowd.

Reactions: GTO

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron