Narveson to Transfer

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Power 5 kickers / kicking has always been an enigma for me... It's like there are 64ish spots for kick off & FG/PAT. With the number of high school boys in the USA you'd think every single P5 team could have an excellent kicker every single year. My HS team used a kid from the soccer team. He did three things all practice; practiced kick-offs, FGs, and PATs.

Why aren't they all great?

The snap?
The hold?
The pressure?
Location relative to the hash mark?
The wind?
The footing?
o_O

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Power 5 kickers / kicking has always been an enigma for me... It's like there are 64ish spots for kick off & FG/PAT. With the number of high school boys in the USA you'd think every single P5 team could have an excellent kicker every single year. My HS team used a kid from the soccer team. He did three things all practice; practiced kick-offs, FGs, and PATs.

Why aren't they all great?
I think there are a few reasons that they aren't all "great".

First it is a mental game - more so than just about any other part of the game. You have just a few chances to execute every game and you must execute flawlessly every time to be successful.

In addition you can be perfect from 30 yards then the expectation is that you push that range out to 40 yards. If you can hit from 40 you should be able to push out to 50. Once you hit 50 then 55 should be expected, and so on. You have to perform every time at the very fringe of your abilities.

And none of this takes into account bad snaps, bad holds, bad footing, swirling winds and angry 200-350 lb. men trying to break your concentration or worse.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Was at the Nebraska 23-23 tie game and everyone from back then remembers Tom Goedjen's missed XP that would have given us a 24-23 lead. Almost no one, other than me, remembers the Nebraska kicker also missed an XP earlier in that game. Goedjen was a good kicker, I'll say that even if he did hit on my gal at the Cave Inn one night. ;)

How Walters held it together after the miss vs. Mizzou in '04 I'll never understand.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I think there are a few reasons that they aren't all "great".

First it is a mental game - more so than just about any other part of the game. You have just a few chances to execute every game and you must execute flawlessly every time to be successful.

In addition you can be perfect from 30 yards then the expectation is that you push that range out to 40 yards. If you can hit from 40 you should be able to push out to 50. Once you hit 50 then 55 should be expected, and so on. You have to perform every time at the very fringe of your abilities.

And none of this takes into account bad snaps, bad holds, bad footing, swirling winds and angry 200-350 lb. men trying to break your concentration or worse.
Fair enough. But with the way kids are being specialized these days you'd think there would be some kicking academy somewhere churning out Mason Crosby's one after the other by now. Maybe I need to develop a business plan and get some investors...

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
How Walters held it together after the miss vs. Mizzou in '04 I'll never understand.
As God is my witness I've never been closer to crying as an adult man. It was crushing, just brutally crushing.

• Agree
Reactions: Frak

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
If kickers so often decide the game and are often put in the tensest moments of games, why do people say they shouldn't/don't get scholarships? It seems like putting a walk-on in charge of the game is an odd idea.

Because most football coaches are archaic neanderthals

• Funny
Reactions: BoxsterCy

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Sadly, he won't be the last one to enter the portal by Spring from what I'm hearing.
Anyone important? I'm going to assume someone likely more important than our 3rd string kicker

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
BAD Place Kicking at Iowa State goes way back to 1972......when Tom Goedjen Missed the Extra Point against Nebraska and we had to settle for a 24-24 Tie......at Historic Clyde Williams Field....GO Cyclones

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
If kickers so often decide the game and are often put in the tensest moments of games, why do people say they shouldn't/don't get scholarships? It seems like putting a walk-on in charge of the game is an odd idea.
Maybe because when you do a walk on earns the job anyway.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Grant Mahoney said during a podcast that Narveson wasn't accurate in the practices he attended.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Met Brayden at an amateur golf tournament this summer and have been friends with him ever since. As a type 1 diabetic myself, I always thought it was cool meeting someone else who also had it. He’s a really nice kid. I wish him nothing but the best going forward!

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
Fair enough. But with the way kids are being specialized these days you'd think there would be some kicking academy somewhere churning out Mason Crosby's one after the other by now. Maybe I need to develop a business plan and get some investors...
If you can start churning out some Justin Tucker's I might be interested in a little investment....