*** Official Kansas City VS IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Went to the game. My observations:

1) UMKC is a decent team, no Mississippi Valley State
2) Jacobson played great
3) Conditt continues to grow, played pretty well
4) I REALLY like Tre Jackson. I thought he played great. Going to be real good.
5) I love Halliburton. Personality, athleticism and skill. BUT, I think maybe this is going to his head. CSP needs to have a talk to him, and maybe did the second half. He needs to cool it on “calling long distance” and always trying to make a spectacular pass. Sometimes simple is best.
6) Zion Griffin is lost on defense.
7) Bolton remains good taking it to the hole. Still not shooting well.
8) we will not win many B12 games shooting around 20% from 3, especially if we shoot a bunch.
9) this team will be defined by Nixon and Bolton. Everybody else is a fairly known commodity, and reasonably consistent.
10) I still think we are likely looking at a second division finish in the b12. I have not studied the league much, but suspect KU is in a league of their own this year.

He at times tries to do too much and spends a bit much time jawing at the opponent too. That can lead to a player getting in their own head which sets up for failure vs. thuggy teams like Iowa that send out ringers.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
Wait, people are criticizing HALLIBURTON’s play???

I agree, criticism toward Haliburton is almost completely unwarranted.
Last season he had a usage rate of 9.2% in 33.2 minutes/game over 35 regular season games. He's at 20.8% in 35.3 MPG to start this season. Anyone that thought he would maintain the same scoring efficiency and turnover rate as last year was dreaming.

He's been pretty dang impressive to start the year and is the engine that drives this team. If Conditt keeps improving quickly like he has and some better team shooting can spread the defenses out more then we can have a real fun Big 12 season.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I agree, criticism toward Haliburton is almost completely unwarranted.
Last season he had a usage rate of 9.2% in 33.2 minutes/game over 35 regular season games. He's at 20.8% in 35.3 MPG to start this season. Anyone that thought he would maintain the same scoring efficiency and turnover rate as last year was dreaming.

He's been pretty dang impressive to start the year and is the engine that drives this team. If Conditt keeps improving quickly like he has and some better team shooting can spread the defenses out more then we can have a real fun Big 12 season.

I'll preface this by writing that I didn't see the game myself, and SIAP, but I have to wonder if our relative struggles against UMKC (not a bad team in their own right, it appears) are due to Hali having his worst game of the season so far, at least based on assist to turnover ratio (7- 6, I think?)

It is fairly surprising that he would have 6 turnovers against a team from the WAC, but if nothing else I would rather have him have that kind of game in the non-conference season in a "buy" game instead of in Big 12 play.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I'll preface this by writing that I didn't see the game myself, and SIAP, but I have to wonder if our relative struggles against UMKC (not a bad team in their own right, it appears) are due to Hali having his worst game of the season so far, at least based on assist to turnover ratio (7- 6, I think?)

It is fairly surprising that he would have 6 turnovers against a team from the WAC, but if nothing else I would rather have him have that kind of game in the non-conference season in a "buy" game instead of in Big 12 play.
They were a very physical team, (almost a half-court defense version of WV in that they would foul on pretty much every possession.) Bodying Haliburton up is definitely going to be a strategy for teams going forward.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
And now to say something positive on Haliburton. The play set that has him post up his player, and as he backs down said player, Solo sets a pick is going to eat teams alive this year. Brand new ball screen motion close to basket. (Will be even better with Conditt as the lob pass will be a little easier.) Haliburton draws the weakside defense to the ball and nobody is there to help with the roller.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
And now to say something positive on Haliburton. The play set that has him post up his player, and as he backs down said player, Solo sets a pick is going to eat teams alive this year. Brand new ball screen motion close to basket. (Will be even better with Conditt as the lob pass will be a little easier.) Haliburton draws the weakside defense to the ball and nobody is there to help with the roller.

The last few games, Prohm played Tyrese off the ball occasionally and ran set plays for him. While I think its tough to take the ball out of his hands, he's our best offensive player and there are going to be times we have to get creative to get him his shots. Prohm did similar with Monte, he freed him up for his almost automatic baseline jumper pretty often. I'm not saying we do this every trip but it'll be necessary when we NEED a bucket.

Another factor is, Tyrese seems to shoot best from 3 when shooting from the corners, gotta find ways to get him those shots with his feet set. When we are struggling, we should be running plays to get him these types of shots. We can still play through him, even if he plays off the ball.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
We will need his enthusiasm and attitude for when things get tough, and they always do.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

3 of his TOs were unforced - stepping on the out of bounds line

2 were from driving into traffic and getting the ball stolen

the others were from crazy passes

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Well good thing is no one is "ripping" him. And since when are future/current NBA players above criticism? Some of you on here need a safe space version of CF where nothing critical is ever said about anyone or anything.
Oh calm down, I was half joking. Tyrese has fallen a little too in love with the hook- and jump-passes.

But until we start making shots and figure out how to play defense, the only way we’re going to beat anyone half-decent is for Tyrese to go all Russell Westbrook.