Oklahoma/Utah- Who makes the Playoff?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
BYU and Northern IL>Rice and UTSA

Looked them up and the win @ BYU is the only decent win among the 6 wins. So Utah's is slightly better. But nothing that is going to make me put them in the playoffs over Baylor.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Correct. Even looking at the Big 12 rep...it's Oklahoma's AD. How in the hell is he supposed to be unbiased with his input? I'm not bashing the guy personally, I'm just saying it's a flawed way of selecting the top 4 teams because people are human and have natural biases.

You know that points out another problem. I'm pretty sure the AD's have to leave the room when discussing their team. However, that means there is NO Big XII representation when they are discussing Oklahoma.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Correct. Even looking at the Big 12 rep...it's Oklahoma's AD. How in the hell is he supposed to be unbiased with his input? I'm not bashing the guy personally, I'm just saying it's a flawed way of selecting the top 4 teams because people are human and have natural biases.

The Oklahoma AD (Castiglione) AND Frank Beamer (son is on the OU staff) both will have to recuse themselves when Oklahoma is discussed. https://collegefootballplayoff.com/news/2019/8/15/cfp-selection-committee-prepares-for-1920.aspx

Based upon radio shows I have listened to, this happens whenever Oklahoma is starting to get talked about and thus they will leave the room well before the committee is discussing spots 4, 5 or 6.

Meanwhile, the Oregon AD is the chair and three other members have some form of a Pac 12 tie. None need to recuse themselves when Utah comes up.

I would bet that Utah sneaks in if the Sooners don't handle Baylor easily and Utah beats Oregon.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Either way the playoff game that one of these teams goes to will be attended by the finest people America has to offer:

Utah: The Mormons, idk know if Jesus was in America in the 1800’s or if he had sister wives, but I do know that those Mormon girls take one sip of Mountain Dew and their shoes come off.

Oklahoma: the people too dumb to build basements in the middle of the tornado devastation zone known as their state.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
If Baylor and Utah both win, they have to take Baylor. Baylor will have won the toughest conference top to bottom with only one loss, which was to a top ten team. And they will have avenged that loss.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Now...what if Wisconsin wins?

Do they take a two loss Wisconsin over OSU, OU, and Utah? Even if they lose, OSU is still the better team, imo, with a better overall record. But how much will they value a conference championship?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Do they take a two loss Wisconsin over OSU, OU, and Utah? Even if they lose, OSU is still the better team, imo, with a better overall record. But how much will they value a conference championship?

unless Wisconsin wins 59-0 and forces Justin Fields to be picked up off the turf and carted off in an air cast or neck brace OSU is going to the playoff.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
unless Wisconsin wins 59-0 and forces Justin Fields to be picked up off the turf and carted off in an air cast or neck brace OSU is going to the playoff.

There might even need to be some dirty recruiting stuff on OSU unearthed at the same time....and even then I'm not sure OSU gets left out.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If Baylor and Utah both win, they have to take Baylor. Baylor will have won the toughest conference top to bottom with only one loss, which was to a top ten team. And they will have avenged that loss.

Utah all the way if they both win, thankfully.

**** Baylor.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

If OSU loses they're out and Wisconsin would not get in with two losses. They'd take both OU and Utah or Baylor and Utah.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

No way. In that scenario, 2-loss Bama or Georgia will get in.

Not saying that Baylor wouldn't deserve it objectively, just that the committee will not do that. Brands and marketing and money is the criteria, not SOS or quality wins. Those details are just for the rationalization process for the television audience.

They would probably justify it by saying beating OU isn't really a big deal, since they lost to them earlier LOL.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Either way the playoff game that one of these teams goes to will be attended by the finest people America has to offer:

Utah: The Mormons, idk know if Jesus was in America in the 1800’s or if he had sister wives, but I do know that those Mormon girls take one sip of Mountain Dew and their shoes come off.

Oklahoma: the people too dumb to build basements in the middle of the tornado devastation zone known as their state.
I'll be keeping my eye on Hy-Vee ads for the next 4/$10 deal on Pepsi products. Then booking a flight to SLC asap.

• Funny
Reactions: Nothingman

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I honestly believe the discussion of Utah vs Big 12 Champ is moot. Stupid Georgia is going to beat LSU and we will see the committee find a way to get to SEC schools.

#1 OSU vs #4 LSU
#2 Clem vs #3 UGA

If LSU wins, my opinion is the Big12 winner should be in based off of strength of record. I hate the eye-ball test/game control. I believe its been proven that the better team can run up the score and look like all-stars if playing weaker competition. For that matter, despite Dabo's whining, if his team loses he should probably be out too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron