2019-20 FB Coaching Carousel & Rumors

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don’t think Urb is going to go out west again. I think FSU would be more attractive to him than USC at this point. But with that said I don’t think he’s going back in to coaching any time soon. He got away with A LOT last year and I think there are more dead bodies to dig up when it come to Coach Urb. If he doesn’t get back in those bodies are guaranteed to stay buried imo.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think CSU would be a really good nonP5 job. Brand new stadium, a lot of money in the town.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I think CSU would be a really good nonP5 job. Brand new stadium, a lot of money in the town.

I'm a CSU (and ISU) alum, have lived in Fort Collins for 11 years, and wife works at CSU. Here are the positives and negatives to football job and program:

Good:
1) Brand new stadium
2) Money in town
3) Decent alumni support
4) Great city and school

Bad:
1) MWC keeps getting tied in to late night TV contracts, so kick is often between 7-8pm local time for several games, AD claims he can't do anything about it because of conference ties (I call BS). Night games are fun, occasionally. Tailgating in the dark sucks. Getting out of football games after midnight sucks worse.
2) New stadium on campus has essentially ruined traditional tailgating. Everything remotely close to stadium is "rent-a-tailgate" or beer tents with music, which are fun, but extremely different from the scene at ISU or even what CSU was at Hughes Stadium. Very manufactured, not organic at all.
3) CSU has (and I believe still does) given students free tickets to football games. (It's not really free, they pay for it indirectly in student fees). This IMO leads to a perceived value of the football game, which is exactly $0. So new alums don't go to games after they graduate, because they think games should be free.
4) There's a ton of other things to do in Fort Collins in the fall besides watch an average at best football team.

Wrap all the bad stuff together, and you have a TON of empty seats, in the newest stadium in the country. About 50% of those who show up leave at halftime, regardless of the situation. Perhaps partly because they stop serving beer in the second half (if they didn't serve beer, NO students would go). Remember when ISU had 2-win seasons and they were selling out and expanding the stadium? Would NEVER happen at CSU.

The only thing that will cure all this is winning. And even then you're probably not going to fill the entire stadium with the late game times.

Sat part about the CSU job as a fan, is that it absolutely is a stepping stone job, and we've seen the two outcomes of this. If the coach does well at CSU, he will move up to a P5 team (e.g. Jim McElwain, who at the time had the largest buyout contract ever). On the other hand, if you give a coach five years and they don't do well, you just wasted half a decade (e.g. Mike Bobo). It's a lose-lose as a fan, best you can expect is a good year every 10 years, before your coach gets poached.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
3) CSU has (and I believe still does) given students free tickets to football games. (It's not really free, they pay for it indirectly in student fees). This IMO leads to a perceived value of the football game, which is exactly $0. So new alums don't go to games after they graduate, because they think games should be free.
4) There's a ton of other things to do in Fort Collins in the fall besides watch an average at best football team.
3.) That’s tough, as student attendance would crater if they had to pay per use. And then good luck getting alums to attend games that didn’t go as students.
4.) Agree. The best places to live often have trouble with attendance. So many other options and a large non-native population.

• Agree
Reactions: isukendall

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I'm a CSU (and ISU) alum, have lived in Fort Collins for 11 years, and wife works at CSU. Here are the positives and negatives to football job and program:

Good:
1) Brand new stadium
2) Money in town
3) Decent alumni support
4) Great city and school

Bad:
1) MWC keeps getting tied in to late night TV contracts, so kick is often between 7-8pm local time for several games, AD claims he can't do anything about it because of conference ties (I call BS). Night games are fun, occasionally. Tailgating in the dark sucks. Getting out of football games after midnight sucks worse.
2) New stadium on campus has essentially ruined traditional tailgating. Everything remotely close to stadium is "rent-a-tailgate" or beer tents with music, which are fun, but extremely different from the scene at ISU or even what CSU was at Hughes Stadium. Very manufactured, not organic at all.

Wrap all the bad stuff together, and you have a TON of empty seats, in the newest stadium in the country. About 50% of those who show up leave at halftime, regardless of the situation. Perhaps partly because they stop serving beer in the second half (if they didn't serve beer, NO students would go). Remember when ISU had 2-win seasons and they were selling out and expanding the stadium? Would NEVER happen at CSU.

The only thing that will cure all this is winning. And even then you're probably not going to fill the entire stadium with the late game times.

Sat part about the CSU job as a fan, is that it absolutely is a stepping stone job, and we've seen the two outcomes of this. If the coach does well at CSU, he will move up to a P5 team (e.g. Jim McElwain, who at the time had the largest buyout contract ever). On the other hand, if you give a coach five years and they don't do well, you just wasted half a decade (e.g. Mike Bobo). It's a lose-lose as a fan, best you can expect is a good year every 10 years, before your coach gets poached.

Kendall, you forgot the best part of CSU, they have the best uniforms in all of college football...

111117_LRH_CSUFBallvsBoiseState_5-mb.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron