Voices In The Stands KU Edition

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Oh, I usually hate those people. But for whatever reason this guy doesn't irritate me at all. First, I know what people act like when they don't really want a team to win. When I am around family that are Iowa fans I feel like I should pretend that I want them to win because it makes me look like an ******* if I don't.

But, for whatever reason, this guy doesn't bother me. Because I think he truly wants Iowa State to win.

There are a "few people", and I do mean Very Few, who for whatever reason cheer for both teams if they don't play each other....the people I cant stand are the ones who are Super Hawk or Super Big Red fans who lord it over you if they beat Iowa State. Since I grew up in the eastern suburb of Omaha its hard for me to really hate Nebraska ...but I will tell you that I am really enjoying their bad seasons right now...Oh yes and I have relatives who live in Nebraska football land.....and remember GO Cyclones

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Oh, I usually hate those people. But for whatever reason this guy doesn't irritate me at all. First, I know what people act like when they don't really want a team to win. When I am around family that are Iowa fans I feel like I should pretend that I want them to win because it makes me look like an ******* if I don't.

But, for whatever reason, this guy doesn't bother me. Because I think he truly wants Iowa State to win.

There are a "few people", and I do mean Very Few, who for whatever reason cheer for both teams if they don't play each other....the people I cant stand are the ones who are Super Hawk or Super Big Red fans who lord it over you if they beat Iowa State. Since I grew up in the eastern suburb of Omaha its hard for me to really hate Nebraska ...but I will tell you that I am really enjoying their bad seasons right now...Oh yes and I have relatives who live in Nebraska football land.....and remember GO Cyclones

• Useful
Reactions: Gordilly

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

• Useful
Reactions: Gordilly

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Not heard in the stands: our band!

I hate it when a team (always seems to have "Hok" in their name) brings their entire band and takes the entire lower level visitor's section. We picked our seats when the SEZ was brand new in part because we wanted to get away from the visiting band. Now, they are right between us and our band. Argh. :mad::mad::mad:

You could be me and a seat literally right beside them. This year we had 4 visiting bands come and is that usual? I know we always have Iowa when they are here, and it doesn't surprise me when OU and Texas come because they have the money to do so. But to have 3 of our 4 conference home games feature visiting bands seems out of the norm. I don't fault them for coming but when you are sitting right next to them for 3 hours it becomes a bit much.

guacamole7

Feb 4, 2010
The game was on YouTube TV for me. Maybe you need the sports pack?
As stated already, your location matters for regional sports networks like FSN. If you live outside of the Midwest it was difficult to be able to watch the game.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I just look at the fan support of true "football schools" and think we need to aim for that. We have some of the most passionate fans in the country, I'd like us to show it for 7 Saturdays out of a year. I don't feel like that's too much to ask.

Football schools also deal with lack of students for break games, just FYI

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I didn't think about it ahead of time but KUs band coming makes a lot of sense. KSU game was in Lawerence this year as was OSU which is the next closest. Their director is also the former ISUCFVMB director. After he directed the anthem he stayed on the sideline and appeared to sing Bells with the other ISU staff.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Thoughts on the band: they couldn't get fans to come up here for a game, so they paid to bring their band. :D

The part that surprised me was that they were given a part of the halftime show time allotment. I suppose it was a sympathy move, as it is probably a novelty for them to play in front of that many people.

I get why the Iowa State/Iowa bands both perform at the CyHawk game...most of those kids grew up together here in Iowa. But KU? I only saw about 5 people wearing KU gear on the concourse.

Edit: after reading Wxman's post...they were probably invited to play due to their director's ties to ISU.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: BCClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I just look at the fan support of true "football schools" and think we need to aim for that. We have some of the most passionate fans in the country, I'd like us to show it for 7 Saturdays out of a year. I don't feel like that's too much to ask.

I think lots of home games had poor attendance yesterday from the looks of it.

Reactions: beentherebefore

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
Had a few KU fans around us...they were fine and not obnoxious at all. What made me laugh was 3 of them were dressed in KU basketball jerseys. Paul Pierce in the house.

• Funny
Reactions: oldman

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Thoughts on the band: they couldn't get fans to come up here for a game, so they paid to bring their band. :D

The part that surprised me was that they were given a part of the halftime show time allotment. I suppose it was a sympathy move, as it is probably a novelty for them to play in front of that many people.

I get why the Iowa State/Iowa bands both perform at the CyHawk game...most of those kids grew up together here in Iowa. But KU? I only saw about 5 people wearing KU gear on the concourse.

Edit: after reading Wxman's post...they were probably invited to play due to their director's ties to ISU.

When I was in band in the 90’s we attended one away game a year (which was almost taken away due to the lack of $$ in the athletic department and the fact that the band openly made fun of our own football coach). Anyway, twice in my four years we traveled to Kansas and performed at their halftime. Next week the ISUCFVMB travels to KState.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
I though the KU band halftime performance sounded pretty good. I spoke to a couple of KU fans, very humble people, low expectations of beating us but ...just that outside chance. I think us longtime Cyclones know that feeling.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

I don't think the band displaced any Jayhok fans in the visitor's section! ;)

"Sympathy move." Good one. :D