Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Odds on Jorbo "skipping out" of their game vs CalPoly on Sunday? If there was a line on it, you'd be smart to bet all your money that he won't be playing in that game.

It's interesting he hasn't sat a game yet. Based on the 30% rule, he can play in up to 9 games and still be eligible for the medical hardship waiver. The Iowa State game is the 11th on their schedule. So he would now have to sit out Cal Poly and another game against a Power 5 team in order to play the CyHawk game.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Dude... take this down. There are kids on this website.

Quoted from Garza:

source.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Cyballzz

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I know we like making fun of Iowa, but...

Garza can score. Not much for defense, but the guy knows how to fill up the bucket. Who do we put on him? Young and body him up? Conditt and block him?

Wieskamp is still a dude. They would suck without him.

You know JoBo is going to play in the Iowa State game and come out firing like 3/4 from three and start chirping early. Whoever gets him on defense (and probably Nixon? maybe Haliburton?) is going to have to put him in his place early, too.

We miss a Georges sort of trash-talker to **** with their heads. Somebody needs to do it.

Iowa is not good, but they will up for their Super Bowl. We better be ready.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

Garza can score. Not much for defense, but the guy knows how to fill up the bucket. Who do we put on him? Young and body him up? Conditt and block him?

You know JoBo is going to play in the Iowa State game and come out firing like 3/4 from three and start chirping early. Whoever gets him on defense (and probably Nixon? maybe Haliburton?) is going to have to put him in his place early, too.

He better start sitting if hes going to make it to that game.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

We miss a Georges sort of trash-talker to **** with their heads. Somebody needs to do it.

I know it's their Super Bowl but I'm not sure how we could lose to them. They're as bad as they were two years ago

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyguy9320

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

I think you see Bolton on J-Bo, Solomon and Conditt will guard Garza, Nixon on Weiscamp, and then Halliburton and Jacobson on whoever else is on the floor. I think Halliburton and Conditt will do the trash talking. Both of them are fiery and aren't afraid to say something.

• Agree
Reactions: herbicide

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I know it's their Super Bowl but I'm not sure how we could lose to them. They're as bad as they were two years ago
If we play well we will win. Push the ball, use our athleticism to run on em, and play solid defense. They're going to have a tough time scoring on us. We're really quick and play the passing lanes well. As seen in the Depaul game, they really struggle with athleticism and guys getting up into you.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
If we play well we will win. Push the ball, use our athleticism to run on em, and play solid defense. They're going to have a tough time scoring on us. We're really quick and play the passing lanes well. As seen in the Depaul game, they really struggle with athleticism and guys getting up into you.

Besides Mississippi Valley State they'll probably be the least athletic team we see all year

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think you see Bolton on J-Bo, Solomon and Conditt will guard Garza, Nixon on Weiscamp, and then Halliburton and Jacobson on whoever else is on the floor. I think Halliburton and Conditt will do the trash talking. Both of them are fiery and aren't afraid to say something.

Haliburton comes off as so sweet and wholesome that I have a hard time imagining that. Then again, Georges did too, and he was evidently a terror out there.

I can completely see Conditt being pretty merciless.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

2 years ago Iowa led at halftime, it was a 3 point game under the 8 minute mark, and the good guys only won by 6.

I expect ISU to win, but I also expect a dogfight. It will come down to 3pt shooting and turnovers.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
2 years ago Iowa led at halftime, it was a 3 point game under the 8 minute mark, and the good guys only won by 6.

I expect ISU to win, but I also expect a dogfight. It will come down to 3pt shooting and turnovers.

upload_2019-11-22_11-25-7.png

We never had less than a 56.0% win expectation, but you are right that game was back and forth and Iowa was always in striking distance of us.

Again, I know the Hawkeyes are bad this year, but I am not sure they were as bad as that season. That was a real stinker. I think we are definitely better than that season, too, but both sides have a ton of basketball yet to play to figure that out.

What I do know --

This game is going to be a singular shot for Iowa to validate their whole season, no matter how beat up they are in the non-con and in the Big Ten. Winning a game in Hilton gives them a talking point for another year to defend themselves with and turns the burners off under McCaffery's seat, however hot or not it is right now. They will have it circled on their calendar, and we better come into it with a similar mentality.

We are not going to have much margin for error with this one.

EDIT P.S. -- Weiler-Babb and Wigginton were great in that game. Nick scored 15 on a 61% true shooting, 10:4 A:T with four steals; Lindell scored 24 in what was something of a coming out party, 62% true shooting; and both of them played 37 minutes. The core of a competitive team was there that year. It just did not work out.

Last edited:

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

They're not good but I don't think they're 4-14 in a bad conference bad unless Wieskamp or Garza gets hurt. They literally went the entire year without a good win in 2017-2018.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum