No surprise...Campbell on FSU "watch" list

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I am convinced that Campbell is in for the long haul. He is really close to bringing a Big XII title to Ames within the next 2.5 years.

If anyone watched Pollard's address to the Directors, you can sense CMC's commitment to ISU. It is not a "firmly entrenched" moment, but I feel like CMC would not have made that ending video clip unless he planned to be here at least a few more years. I think he is excited about Jamie's vision for the entertainment district and we all know it will take years to develop and complete.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
You honestly don’t understand what’s going on at MSU right now, do you? MSU athletics in general (perhaps besides MBB) is in a very bad place. Perhaps the scandal wasn’t as bad as Penn St or Baylor, but it was bad, and it coincided with the negative impacts of Dantonio essentially killing his own competitiveness. Not to mention MSU has perhaps the worst Gameday experience in college football. MSU leadership goes out of their way to DISCOURAGE tailgating and pregame activities. You want to know why MSU has problems selling tickets (to the point where you can regularly find them for under $10) and filling their stadium? It’s not because the team has been bad - the entire experience is so bad many MSU fans don’t consider it worth it anymore and have given up.

3 years ago MSU was definitely a better job than ISU. Now? Not so much - despite the recent history.
I really don't care what is going on there. It's a WAY better job than ISU. Not even close.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Baylor's coach is going to be a white-hot commodity this winter...one can argue that he has made the biggest strides of anyone in the Big 12.

But Rhule just inked a contract extension through 2028. Not to say he won't leave, but that would be a serious Richard move to negotiate a great extension and then immediately bail.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
You all know how sometimes people will screen shot or link something from another board or article that some rose colored fan said and then people from that school or team have to come on here and relieve the pressure and say things like "ya we all think it is insane too. You know every fan base has its crazies!"

Well claiming ISU is a better job than MSU is one of those things.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
You all know how sometimes people will screen shot or link something from another board or article that some rose colored fan said and then people from that school or team have to come on here and relieve the pressure and say things like "ya we all think it is insane too. You know every fan base has its crazies!"

Dude, we get it - you're an MSU guy - you can stop kicking that clearly dead horse in the corner.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA

Agree MSU is still a better job but the gap is closing. Also, it is this old train of thought JP has been trying to change since he got here. Lastly while MSU may be a better job right now doesn't mean it's the right job for CMC.

• Agree
Reactions: tyrelrobert

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
See, I'm not an MSU fan, I literally have no allegiance to the school at all. Just pointing that saying ISU is a better job than Sparty is lunacy. Like, real deal crazy talk.

I think there are a lot of dense people here that just view this as a black and white issue. None of us care if some people think MSU is a better job than ISU. That is not the issue at all. Question is, after four years building the program at ISU, would CMC think MSU is a better job than ISU. And the answer is 100% no -- despite what some idiots want to claim.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Isu4meandyou

Nov 18, 2017
I'm gonna guess Brent Venables takes the job.

I'll stand by my previous statements that the only 3 jobs that concern me are Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Michigan. Penn State a distant 4th but I could believe it.

Nowhere else is worth the pressure, not in the Midwest, or is a lateral move
I agree, however, the pressure is there at those programs. Why would you abandon a proven commodity in a p5 conference to go to one of these blue blood programs? If you don't produce in a year or two they may let you go, when you know you have job security here in Ames. I may be wrong, but I don't think Coach Campbell is speaking "coach speak" when he talks about values. I think feels to be part of a family in Ames, and I hope I'm not wrong, but I don't think he's leaving us for a long time

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Put me on record. This would 100% fail.

Huge difference between Penny Hardaway and Hoiberg taking over college basketball programs and someone who has never coached taking over a football program. I guess if he ran it like a CEO and hired the right people it could work. The head coach a lot of times get's way to much credit. The offensive and defensive coordinator and recruiting is the biggest part of college football. I still say it will fail. Although he is a smart guy.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
just gonna peak my head in here, but Michigan State is a better job than Iowa State. Like, I love Iowa State, but Sparty is far and away a better job.

Iowa State isn't a better job than Michigan State, but this is dumb. Michigan State is better, but not by the margin you're claiming.