No surprise...Campbell on FSU "watch" list

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Where did I say he would? I'm saying Wisconsin and MSU are better jobs than ISU

2-3 years ago? Absolutely MSU is a better job than ISU. Now? After Larry Nassar plus all of the scandals that have followed in the wake of the first scandal (and the way members of the board seemingly get arrested and tried for felonies every few months), I'd say the MSU job is a little too nuclear at this point to be a "better" job than ISU.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I agree with this...but MSU is a tough school to maintain at a high level as Dantonio can probably tell us! 4th best program in their own division! Campbell may consider that school though...agree.

It's not that Dantonio couldn't necessarily maintain it, as he's still able to attract talent to Lansing. It's that he refused to change his football philosophy with the times, at least on offense as at least up until this year the defense has at least been solid in spite of the offense. The guy has talent on offense and yet the offensive philosophy is so bad it results in one of the worst offenses in college football.

The bottom line is Dantonio got old, refused to change, and the game passed him by.

Reactions: cyfanatic

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm done worrying a out if Matt leaves. I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

Agree. It's out of our control, outside of increasing donations, etc.... so why worry about it. The day CMC decides to leave it will likely not be about $$ IMO.

Once he leaves, I will just be excited to see who JP goes and gets next. I think Norvell from Memphis should be the top target right now.

Reactions: Brandon

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
And now I'm hearing from delusional Arkansas fans here in the office that Campbell will be their target if Morris is fired at the end of season.

I just laughed at them and said "that's definitely not gonna happen".
Poor Arkansas, at least they can SEC SEC SEC chant themselves to a winless season.

• Agree
Reactions: Arkansas Cyclone

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Agree. It's out of our control, outside of increasing donations, etc.... so why worry about it. The day CMC decides to leave it will likely not be about $$ IMO.

Once he leaves, I will just be excited to see who JP goes and gets next. I think Norvell from Memphis should be the top target right now.

Yeah, wouldnt want him to leave because i'd rather have what we have than an unknown, but if he leaves we'd be in the best place we probably ever have been when it comes to hiring a coach- we have the money, and we have the facilities. It wouldnt be a 'rebuild' job, it would be a 'maintain and grow' job.

L

LincolnWay187

I'd try to keep heacock as HC. Our d is what is making us most competitive

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...0191105-2z7okokjkjcrnojgcgump6junu-story.html

"Iowa State coach Matt Campbell lead the list, getting 3/1 odds from website Bet Online."

This only shows they will bet on anything that moves and furthermore that grammar is a lost art in journalism. Campbell to FSU makes zero sense to me. The guy is a midwestern coach like Klieman in that way. UK's Mark Stoops makes way more sense.

I suspect USC will go after Penn State's James Franklin, although I'm not sure LA is better than State College for football these days. Still, that's going to be an interesting search with FSU out there trying to tie someone down before SC fires their guy.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It's not that Dantonio couldn't necessarily maintain it, as he's still able to attract talent to Lansing. It's that he refused to change his football philosophy with the times, at least on offense as at least up until this year the defense has at least been solid in spite of the offense. The guy has talent on offense and yet the offensive philosophy is so bad it results in one of the worst offenses in college football.

The bottom line is Dantonio got old, refused to change, and the game passed him by.

He also did his damage when Michigan and PSU were down. Now that PSU is a power and UM is at least stabilized, he goes from 10-11 wins a year to 8-9 which is where they should be but it completely changes the perception. Pil that on top of the things you mentioned and he's going to sit in the 6-8 range. That's fine, he's a ****.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
2-3 years ago? Absolutely MSU is a better job than ISU. Now? After Larry Nassar plus all of the scandals that have followed in the wake of the first scandal (and the way members of the board seemingly get arrested and tried for felonies every few months), I'd say the MSU job is a little too nuclear at this point to be a "better" job than ISU.
MSU is a way better job than ISU. It's not even ******* close. 2 8-win seasons has not made us that kind of job.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
MSU is a way better job than ISU. It's not even ******* close. 2 8-win seasons has not made us that kind of job.

You honestly don’t understand what’s going on at MSU right now, do you? MSU athletics in general (perhaps besides MBB) is in a very bad place. Perhaps the scandal wasn’t as bad as Penn St or Baylor, but it was bad, and it coincided with the negative impacts of Dantonio essentially killing his own competitiveness. Not to mention MSU has perhaps the worst Gameday experience in college football. MSU leadership goes out of their way to DISCOURAGE tailgating and pregame activities. You want to know why MSU has problems selling tickets (to the point where you can regularly find them for under $10) and filling their stadium? It’s not because the team has been bad - the entire experience is so bad many MSU fans don’t consider it worth it anymore and have given up.

3 years ago MSU was definitely a better job than ISU. Now? Not so much - despite the recent history.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron