Re-Indexing Annual Giving Levels

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
In a letter received today, JP let us know that to achieve the annual level of funding required for the future, re-indexing of Cyclone Club annual giving levels will happen in January 2021. No specifics yet but look for future details this coming spring(2020). Based on general information provided in the letter, it looks like at least a 25% increase in annual donations is needed.

• Agree
Reactions: iState1980

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Haven't seen the letter yet, but I would think they would have to look at reseating at the same time. Right now if the new requirements bumped me down a level I wouldn't really lose out on anything. Due to availability I'm sitting a level below my donation and I don't really take advantage of any of the other differences between the levels. I assume there are probably a lot in that situation.

I know reseating is an emotional hot point for everyone and I understand both sides and I'm not actually advocating for either, just wondering what the incentive for me to increase my donation 25% would be if there isn't a tangible benefit.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Haven't seen the letter yet, but I would think they would have to look at reseating at the same time. Right now if the new requirements bumped me down a level I wouldn't really lose out on anything. Due to availability I'm sitting a level below my donation and I don't really take advantage of any of the other differences between the levels. I assume there are probably a lot in that situation.

I know reseating is an emotional hot point for everyone and I understand both sides and I'm not actually advocating for either, just wondering what the incentive for me to increase my donation 25% would be if there isn't a tangible benefit.

The incentive is Matt Campbell sticking around

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I think what it is saying is that the giving required to be at cardinal level, gold level, captain's level, etc. would go up.
!0-4 on the undertlined. While re-seating is not mentioned, it is usually needs to be addressed within a short time after re-indexing. Re-seating will look at how folks step up to the new giving levels.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Can someone explain what this means. I haven’t seen the letter and am not familiar with reindexing.
It means....
giphy.gif

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Didn’t they just reseat Hilton? I’m pretty sure we had to bump up to $1000 to keep our seats in section 213.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Matt Campbell and his staff stays here. This isn't pointed at you but over the next few years we are going to find out just how much football success is worth.

• Winner
Reactions: JP4CY and isufbcurt

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Makes sense but percent seems like a weird way to do it. For example $500 would become $625 which is a strange number.
I think you are taking this all too literally. There will probably be pretty regular levels with pretty round numbers attached to them.

It just makes sense because I don't believe the Century, States, Cardinal and Gold levels have changed since I was in college (~35 years ago). Maybe none of them have. $100 doesn't buy nearly what it did in the 80s. ISU Athletics would need to get about $247 from a donor today to match the buying power of that $100 donation in 1984.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Facilities and keeping CMC take money. Can't pony up, you loose your seat.

Pretty simple and shouldn't be that hard to digest.

If I were Pollard I would also subtly point out that we are graduating more kids and keeping them in state more than any other institution in the state. We are the biggest University in the state. So, if you older people aren't going to buck up as necessitated with the recent success, there are going to be thousands of alumni coming on line who will. At a $500 donation, you're easily replaceable and this isn't simply weekend entertainment anymore. This is an institution trying to keep a coach who could possibly take them to a level we haven't seen and JP would like to keep him here.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Honestly, I think reindexing is a cleaner way to accomplish reseating. Pretty simple conversation. We are changing the donation required for your seats. To sit here you need to donate (x). If you do not donate (x), we will be moving your seats to an area closer to your level of donation.

I imagine that this is a byproduct of success. More people want tickets, and ultimately better tickets, so they pay more than necessary to get the seats they occupy (probably more of a concern in Hilton). Once you get critical mass in these areas, change the donation level to be more reflective (based on donations) of who already is sitting there, and “raise the rent”. This forces the issue. I imagine some won’t have to pay up (cause they already are at the new donation level), most would pay, although some won’t, and new seats become available. Wash, rinse, repeat.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It just makes sense because I don't believe the Century, States, Cardinal and Gold levels have changed since I was in college (~35 years ago). Maybe none of them have. $100 doesn't buy nearly what it did in the 80s. ISU Athletics would need to get about $247 from a donor today to match the buying power of that $100 donation in 1984.

That is correct. I was Century for a long time; it was $100 in 1999 and it's $100 now 20 years later. The benefits might be a bit less overall - football parking is no longer free and Century used to be in the paved lots!!

Just inflation makes the donation money now worth 40-50% less in real terms...

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
At a $500 donation, you're easily replaceable...

This is what doesn't make me feel bad about not continuing my $500 donation next year (decided before this news came out). It will be easily covered by my group of friends with their required increases. I'll still purchase my seats in the non-donor level, but with life happening, the benefits of giving that $500 just isn't there.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I suspect that it will mean having a few more tiers at the top in order to get people to take steps up. Going from Gold to Captains was big for me, but I'm not even thinking about Directors or Victory unless there are ways to step toward it.

Also, I suspect that it will also mean the dropping of lower tiers (or at least dropping some perks for the lower levels) in order to incentive people to move up.