Twitter hates me. The Des Moines Register fired me. Here’s what really happened.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
From the article:

"As I told King, I don’t think it is fair to use someone’s old tweets to make blanket assaults on their character."

So then why do a background search, talk to Carson King about the offensive tweets, get both context and an apology from Carson, only to include it in the story anyway? The part about Carson's offensive tweets came out of nowhere and didn't fit in the piece.

I'm good with a generic background check, but it should have been a no-brainer to determine the tweets didn't add to the story or provide any context to the story and pass on reporting them.

Reactions: BigBake

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Why would I need to prove you wrong?? Weirdo.

Nothing weird about it, all your reactions to people's posts are what is weird. I'll just take your non-response to my question as acknowledgment that one of my assumptions must be right. If I'm wrong you would have had no issue denying them.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Nothing weird about it, all your reactions to people's posts are what is weird. I'll just take your non-response to my question as acknowledgment that one of my assumptions must be right. If I'm wrong you would have had no issue denying them.

Ok, cool. I really don't care what you think. You can think I am the antichrist for all I care and I will do nothing to prove you wrong on that point either.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I haven't seen anything negative happen to him. Maybe it has but seems like he has made out pretty well.

Are you cereal? Branded a racist, international embarrassment, legal fees, being used as a tool by right wingers for political gains (I'm a right-winger and do NOT approve)...

• Useful
Reactions: alarson

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I read Calvin's original article. It is not about Carson King's growth. It's about the Gameday deal, and everything after.

He tosses the mention of the tweets in at the very end, and there's no context, no quotes from King about how he regretted them, and no mention of the several anti-racism tweets that King made much later in life, and closer to the moment being profiled.

He's back pedaling pretty hard, and that's a big part of why I have a hard time sympathizing with Calvin. It was pretty clearly "gotcha" journalism. And the tweets were leaked to AB. He knew what he was doing, and so did the Register.

why do we think the tweets were leaked to AB? They should have done their own research.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Are you cereal? Branded a racist, international embarrassment, legal fees, being used as a tool by right wingers for political gains (I'm a right-winger and do NOT approve)...

I have never seen him branded a racist or being an international embarrassment, but maybe I am not seeing the same sources or whatever that you are. What legal fees? How does being used as a tool for right wingers a negative consequence for him? I mean the guy raised more money, is still out there raising money, has a day named after him, got invited to the Iowa game as a special guest. He continues to receive a ton of love and support. Seems like he got even more popular after the article.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I thought it was enlightening when he said most of the "reporters" are 20-somethings. One thing I THINK I understand about SOME 20-somethings it's they have zero world view beyond their artificial on-line world.

This isn't about media bias, it's about having "news" presented to you filtered through a person that has no perspective.
Right. Didn’t this kid earlier allude to his firing being due to right wing agenda?

Knowing your audience is important in that profession, as is not having a record of public racist tweets. Employment at a reputable newspaper may not be in the cards for him. The DMR needs better hiring criteria.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think it was confirmed that AB learned separately of the tweets.
The Register denied "informing" AB about the tweets. That doesn't necessarily exclude that they didn't "ask for comment" about said tweets, therefore alerting AB to dig for them.

It also doesn't mean the Register did ask them about the tweets, it is a very interesting choice of words though. (asking a question is not technically informing)

To the best of my knowledge (I even submitted a question to the Register in regards) the Register has not clarified on this detail.

• Winner
Reactions: CYdTracked

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I don't recall anybody really calling for the guy's job. Didn't they just want the Register to apologize and admit they made a mistake? They didn't need to fire the reporter. All that did was validate why everybody was pissed off at the register in the first place.
There was plenty of people calling for Calvin's job...and his life, for that matter. These people were not sane people, but they were out there, and there's plenty of them.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The Register denied "informing" AB about the tweets. That doesn't necessarily exclude that they didn't "ask for comment" about said tweets, therefore alerting AB to dig for them.

It also doesn't mean the Register did ask them about the tweets, it is a very interesting choice of words though. (asking a question is not technically informing)

Um, that is the same thing. If they asked them about them and AB didn't know, they informed them.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I'm good with a generic background check, but it should have been a no-brainer to determine the tweets didn't add to the story or provide any context to the story and pass on reporting them.

Hence why the editor should have been sacked here as much as or more so than the reporter.

Also, should probably sack whomever was responsible for background checking the reporter.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Um, that is the same thing. If they asked them about them and AB didn't know, they informed them.
No, it is not. If I ask you a question about your comments regarding something you are not aware or informed of, I am not informing you. I am asking for your comments about something you are unaware. You would have to 'inform' yourself on the topic.

For instance; if the Register asked AB about King's twitter history, they are not informing AB on specific tweets. Heck, they can ask specifically about those tweets and still rightfully claim that they didn't inform them of their existence, as they'd only be specifically asking about their comments.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
No, it is not. If I ask you a question about your comments regarding something you are not aware or informed of, I am not informing you. I am asking for your comments about something you are unaware. You would have to 'inform' yourself on the topic.

For instance; if the Register asked AB about King's twitter history, they are not informing AB on specific tweets. Heck, they can ask specifically about those tweets and still rightfully claim that they didn't inform them of their existence, as they'd only be specifically asking about their comments.
It's a possible explanation but very dangerous for a news outlet if they get caught in such lexical gymnastics.

Help Support Us

Become a patron