Twitter hates me. The Des Moines Register fired me. Here’s what really happened.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
He's been hammering this "I'm a victim" **** the entire time. He threw the tweets in as a little blurb at the end, and not as part of some redemption arc, like he claims.

If this is true it really does damage Calvin's credibility for me. Because this is central to Calvin's use of the Tweets according to him. He does couch their use in this way.

If it's the Registers policy to publish bad Tweets as background then do it, say so and don't apologize. I get the sense that between a gotcha click bait comment and a look at Carson's positive personal growth comment it was intended as the former.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
If we are this far along and he can't see why digging up old tweets from a stupid teenager, then he is hopeless. We are past the point in society where you can just claim, "I was just following my employer instructions". That is no longer a get out of jail free card.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
The reporter got fired for his own offensive tweets he made just recently. His "apology" was weak and then he went on to blame a bunch of other people about it shortly after. To me, he still hasn't accepted responsibility for his own tweets and is blaming everyone else for his firing.
The reporter's own tweets being found were like Christmas morning for the DMR. It gave them the perfect opportunity to fire him, thereby attempting to distance themselves from the story. They even claimed the moral high ground of holding their reporters to their high standards. Ridiculous. They still never apologized for publishing the tweets. They just deflected attention to the reporter because it was the convenient distraction at the time.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If this is true it really does damage Calvin's credibility for me. Because this is central to Calvin's use of the Tweets according to him. He does couch their use in this way.

If it's the Registers policy to publish bad Tweets as background then do it, say so and don't apologize. I get the sense that between a gotcha click bait comment and a look at Carson's positive personal growth comment it was intended as the former.

I read Calvin's original article. It is not about Carson King's growth. It's about the Gameday deal, and everything after.

He tosses the mention of the tweets in at the very end, and there's no context, no quotes from King about how he regretted them, and no mention of the several anti-racism tweets that King made much later in life, and closer to the moment being profiled.

He's back pedaling pretty hard, and that's a big part of why I have a hard time sympathizing with Calvin. It was pretty clearly "gotcha" journalism. And the tweets were leaked to AB. He knew what he was doing, and so did the Register.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I read Calvin's original article. It is not about Carson King's growth. It's about the Gameday deal, and everything after.

He tosses the mention of the tweets in at the very end, and there's no context, no quotes from King about how he regretted them, and no mention of the several anti-racism tweets that King made much later in life, and closer to the moment being profiled.

He's back pedaling pretty hard, and that's a big part of why I have a hard time sympathizing with Calvin. It was pretty clearly "gotcha" journalism. And the tweets were leaked to AB. He knew what he was doing, and so did the Register.
Agree.

He’s not a victim, although he is the fall guy. The entry-level employee often is. Calvin and the DMR were trying to profit off outrage culture, and executed it so badly that it cost Calvin his job. A job he probably shouldn’t have had if we’re in a world in which offensive tweets years ago are noteworthy.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Two thoughts:

A) I don't believe for a second that he didn't have the discretion as the person putting his name behind the article to leave Carson's tweets out.

B) It's a pretty simple case of not throwing stones if you live in a glass house. You brought Carson's past tweets to light and he had to suffer the consequences--so too should you for your past tweets. The whole article drips of "woe is me" for "doing what the editors told him", but the fact of the matter is he was fired for extremely insensitive tweets.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Two thoughts:

A) I don't believe for a second that he didn't have the discretion as the person putting his name behind the article to leave Carson's tweets out.

B) It's a pretty simple case of not throwing stones if you live in a glass house. You brought Carson's past tweets to light and he had to suffer the consequences--so too should you for your past tweets. The whole article drips of "woe is me" for "doing what the editors told him", but the fact of the matter is he was fired for extremely insensitive tweets.

B) How did Carson King suffer the consequences? lol

trevn

Jerome Tang Surveillance Team
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
From the article:

"As I told King, I don’t think it is fair to use someone’s old tweets to make blanket assaults on their character."

So then why do a background search, talk to Carson King about the offensive tweets, get both context and an apology from Carson, only to include it in the story anyway? The part about Carson's offensive tweets came out of nowhere and didn't fit in the piece.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Two thoughts:

There's is definitely some teeth to point B. Like, if no questionable posts were found about Calvin himself, he could've had some plausible deniability to say "well, the Register made me do it!", but that all disappeared at the point where he was outed effectively as a hypocrite.

• Winner
Reactions: Al_4_State

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

The consequences of what, raising $3 million dollars for children? Yeah, throw away the key. :eek:

This is what the DMR and writer screwed up, and apparently still don't get.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

You don't think there were consequences associated with him very publicly having his name associated with racist tweets?

Here in Iowa we were invested enough to know the whole story. To many others, they probably only saw the headlines about the Gameday sign kid being racist.

Plus the public embarrassment of losing Busch's support.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Judging by all your dislikes and disagrees to every post that is about Calvin or the DMR you either work for the DMR or you are Aaron Calvin. Either that or you just have some kind or tie to the DMR you just can't get past seeing their mistakes. Care to reveal anything to prove me wrong?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
You don't think there were consequences associated with him very publicly having his name associated with racist tweets?

Here in Iowa we were invested enough to know the whole story. To many others, they probably only saw the headlines about the Gameday sign kid being racist.

Plus the public embarrassment of losing Busch's support.

I haven't seen anything negative happen to him. Maybe it has but seems like he has made out pretty well.

• Disagree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Judging by all your dislikes and disagrees to every post that is about Calvin or the DMR you either work for the DMR or you are Aaron Calvin. Either that or you just have some kind or tie to the DMR you just can't get past seeing their mistakes. Care to reveal anything to prove me wrong?

Why would I need to prove you wrong?? Weirdo.

• Funny
Reactions: CYdTracked

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I don't recall anybody really calling for the guy's job. Didn't they just want the Register to apologize and admit they made a mistake? They didn't need to fire the reporter. All that did was validate why everybody was pissed off at the register in the first place.

• Winner
Reactions: CYdTracked

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Agree.

He’s not a victim, although he is the fall guy. The entry-level employee often is. Calvin and the DMR were trying to profit off outrage culture, and executed it so badly that it cost Calvin his job. A job he probably shouldn’t have had if we’re in a world in which offensive tweets for years ago are noteworthy.

I thought it was enlightening when he said most of the "reporters" are 20-somethings. One thing I THINK I understand about SOME 20-somethings it's they have zero world view beyond their artificial on-line world.

This isn't about media bias, it's about having "news" presented to you filtered through a person that has no perspective.

If Carson was doing a charity event for under privileged minority youth, the texts may be valid. But there is NO way they had any bearing on his good work and should never have factored into this story.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

cat named georges

Apr 16, 2017
We need to have a Carson King day every year during the Cy-Hawk game where people go back through old social media posts and delete things they no longer agree with or better yet make their posts private.