Twitter hates me. The Des Moines Register fired me. Here’s what really happened.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bigman38, Nov 4, 2019.

1. herbicide

herbicide Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,680 / 115 / -1
    I certainly don't disagree, but how would anyone find out? AB would have to 'out' the Register, and they'd have nothing to gain from it.

Personally for me I don't care if they did or did not. To me the crux of it was how the Register handled it from the start. They had an opportunity at each step to avoid or mitigate their disaster, but they kept making it worse.

2. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +17,725 / 264 / -3
    If someone asks them directly on the record about any conversation with AB prior to AB's announcement. Asks them directly if they mentioned or asked anything about King's social media to AB prior. The would be painted in a corner and be forced to tell the truth or out and out lie. They wouldn't have the benefit of skirting the edge of the truth.

Or someone could ask AB directly how they came about researching Kings social media history and ask directly what exactly they discussed with the RAG prior to the same.

It would be interesting to know.

3. fsanford

fsanford Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Ratings:
    +2,214 / 133 / -2
    A simple "Hey Carson delete a couple of very old stupid tweet's cuz I know that is not who you are and I will do the same with my account."

But instead it was turned into a situation of Carson King having to get his apology out there first before the story was published. Because if he waited the narrative would have been entirely different.

That said he should not have gotten fired. Because you cannot defend Carson King for making a mistake and if you are not willing not include the reporter in the same breath.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. herbicide

Mar 23, 2006
    Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,680 / 115 / -1
    It would be. I did ask the Register, but got no response.

I doubt anyone will ask (or know who/how to ask) AB, and even if they did, AB could just not comment or skirt the question; there is no benefit for AB or the Register to bring up such information voluntarily, they both want the topic to fade into obscurity.

The only way it would ever become public knowledge is if there was a deposition or legal proceeding.

5. Urbandale2013

Urbandale2013 Active Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Male
    Accountant
    Urbandale
    Ratings:
    +1,258 / 151 / -6
    I disagree to an extent. He shouldn’t have been fired for his tweets but he should have been fired for his actions in reporting the story. He can’t be a reporter in Des Moines right now. Even if he was employed he wouldn’t be able to do his job because a lot of people wouldn’t talk to him.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. BigBake

BigBake Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Programming monkey
    U'dale
    Ratings:
    +382 / 22 / -0
    If I asked for your comments about a brinks truck that just dropped 500 billion in cash in an accident outside your workplace and you knew nothing about it prior. I would be informing you.

AB most certainly was informed of the old tweets by the DMR. Neither side will admit it and they are better off staying tight lipped to avoid even more negative PR.

The reporter made a choice and it was the wrong one. He tried to play gotcha journalism (as directed by his editor) to get clicks. The Editor and him both should be fired.

7. herbicide

Mar 23, 2006
    Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,680 / 115 / -1
    Oh don't get me wrong, I think they did. They are technically not lying when they say they did not "inform," if in fact all they did was ask for their comments in regard. That is my entire point. It is just calculated wording.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ISUTex

ISUTex Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    Rural U.S.A.
    Ratings:
    +1,425 / 113 / -12

So the Register gave in to the moron mob on social media? The sane people just wanted the DMR to admit they made a mistake, not throw Calvin under the bus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MeowingCows

MeowingCows Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    IT
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +16,182 / 650 / -7
    I mean, yeah, pretty much. It was not as small and insignificant of a "moron mob" as you're making it out to be. We're talking literally thousands of people being outraged about this, with a large chunk of it being vented onto Calvin directly (this isn't to justify what DMR did in any way, I'm just trying to add some perspective here).

I hate to say it, but those "sane" people feel like the minority here. Hell, look at the number of people in just this thread (and the first thread on this topic) blaming Calvin personally. I guess you could say Calvin gave in to the moron mob, too, when he went into hiding for a few days over repeated death threats and constant spam from all sources. DMR got plenty of that, too.

Turns out these types of things actually do have effects on people. Again, this all being said, DMR handled it all extremely poorly from the getgo and they totally scapegoated Calvin when the opportunity presented itself, when they deserve plenty of blame, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Trice

Trice Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +1,784 / 62 / -1
    This is complete and total revisionist history. I follow plenty of "sane" people on social media and many of them were among the people who either found the reporter's tweets or shared them once they started circulating. I saw people behave in ways that were totally out of character for them. Many tweeted at the Register insisting on the reporter's firing. It's pretty rich for people to say now that they didn't want the reporter fired, because there was absolutely nobody who showed that kind of restraint in real time. They wanted him fired, they got it, and they were happy about it.

For certain it was a mob, but it wasn't just some small band of lunatics. Almost everyone lost their minds in the wake of that Register story. Many have yet to reclaim theirs.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. ISUTex

ISUTex Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    Rural U.S.A.
    Ratings:
    +1,425 / 113 / -12

I never thought he should've been fired. The Register completely missed the point of a lot of people's frustration. And yes, a lot of people thought the same as me. So, no, it's not "Rich" to say that. We apparently read different things online, or in reality. I don't know.

I don't even bother to go on Twitter so I guess I missed all of the hate on that garbage heap. Twitter is nothing but a mob. It's a scourge on our society. The bad totally outweighs the good. Twitter isn't "everybody".

12. Rabbuk

Rabbuk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Ratings:
    +16,181 / 799 / -26
    I wanted the reporter and whatever editor signed off on it gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BigBake

BigBake Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Programming monkey
    U'dale
    Ratings:
    +382 / 22 / -0
    Yep, I'm with ya.

14. kchacker

kchacker Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Phoenix
    Ratings:
    +972 / 24 / -1
    What a simple solution, avoiding everything. If only that generated extra clicks.