MLB: ***Official 2019-20 Cubs Offseason***

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Strasburg hitting the open market. Not surprising, and I still expect him to re-up with the Nationals. But the top of the pitching market is lethal.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I think we knew that after that horrendous late season audition by holland.

I'll never forget blogger Brett Taylor of Bleacher Nation saying Holland would be a great get if we limited him to lefties only and twice within his first couple of weeks he was put in game-changing moments to face righties and got destroyed. Bloggers >>> Maddon.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
A lot of crazy rumors starting to heat up the stove:

- Willy, who is under team control for the next 3 years, is expected to be shopped around a bit at the GM Meetings next week. I would guess they'd want a pitcher or outfielder with a similar bat. Could be apart of a blockbuster, as well.

- Cubs are reportedly making Whit Merrifield a priority this winter. Sounds like Cubs aren't wanting Hoerner to have complete control of second base quite yet.

- Cubs are being lumped together with Lindor and Betts

Non-rumor - Andy Green is the new bench coach. Comes from San Diego. Weird how we keep taking from that unsuccessful organization.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GT25Ump

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
A lot of crazy rumors starting to heat up the stove:

- Willy, who is under team control for the next 3 years, is expected to be shopped around a bit at the GM Meetings next week. I would guess they'd want a pitcher or outfielder with a similar bat. Could be apart of a blockbuster, as well.

- Cubs are reportedly making Whit Merrifield a priority this winter. Sounds like Cubs aren't wanting Hoerner to have complete control of second base quite yet.

- Cubs are being lumped together with Lindor and Betts

Non-rumor - Andy Green is the new bench coach. Comes from San Diego. Weird how we keep taking from that unsuccessful organization.
I dont want lindor or betts.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
You wouldn’t want 2 of the top 10 position players in the game? Both bring substantial upgrades in so many ways—-baserunning, defense, and the ability to hit doubles instead of the HR or unproductive out that every Cubs player produced this year. Granted, the Cubs could never pull it off but you can’t be serious that you wouldn’t want either Betts or Lindor. You are off your meds

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
You wouldn’t want 2 of the top 10 position players in the game? Both bring substantial upgrades in so many ways—-baserunning, defense, and the ability to hit doubles instead of the HR or unproductive out that every Cubs player produced this year. Granted, the Cubs could never pull it off but you can’t be serious that you wouldn’t want either Betts or Lindor. You are off your meds

Betts is $27 million for one year. Would be great to trade for if he didn't take anything from our core or if we had an extension already in place. I wouldn't even trade Contreras for him one to one unless that extension was already in place. Betts is great, but he would essentially be our only major move because we wouldn't be able to afford many other moves this offseason.

I would love Lindor because he's only 26 and it would move Baez back to second, where I think El Mago comes to life. He would be cheaper, has 3 years of control, and would slide perfectly into the leadoff role. My guess is he would cost Contreras + one of our top prospects, which scares me a bit as I think we're trying to revamp the ol' farm system.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Will be interesting to see what the Cubs do today with the deadline to tender contracts. If they don't have a trade partner lined up for Russell sure hope he is not tendered a contract as his arbitration figure is around $5 mil. Here's a link to who is arbitration eligible: https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs...ayers-though-only-three-are-actual-decisions/

Obviously Bryant, Baez, Schwarber, Contreras, and probably Almora and Ryan will be tendered contracts. They also have tender decisions to make on 2 relievers that are out of options in Underwood and Hultzen. If they non-tender them then they could try to work on a minor league deal if they want to stay with the organization so basically is do they want to tie up 40 man spots with them and see how they look in spring training and maintain control of them.

Also should be interesting to see what names around the league get non-tendered today too and if any fit a need the Cubs have.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Red Sox signed Bradley Jr. for $11 million and rumor is they’re hoping to find a prospect in a trade instead of just letting him go.

It would be a poor business decision, I think, to simply let Russell go. No, I don’t view his worth as $5 million, but I do think a team would end up taking him for $5 million straight up but it would be silly to trade for him before the tender deadline in case the Cubs cut ties, then you don’t have to give anything up for him.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Addison Russell didn’t know the signs in the middle of last season. There is no ******* reason in this universe to tender him a contract

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Red Sox signed Bradley Jr. for $11 million and rumor is they’re hoping to find a prospect in a trade instead of just letting him go.

It would be a poor business decision, I think, to simply let Russell go. No, I don’t view his worth as $5 million, but I do think a team would end up taking him for $5 million straight up but it would be silly to trade for him before the tender deadline in case the Cubs cut ties, then you don’t have to give anything up for him.

Disagree, I would guess the Cubs already had shopped him around and didn't find a scenario that made sense to tender him a deal. Cubs have been holding onto guys like him for too long and not making trades when guys like him still had trade value so it was time to move on and wish him the best in a new organization. As for Bradley I sure hope you aren't implying that he would be a target for the Cubs like some fans out there seem to think. Bradley Jr. is just another OF who can't hit and strikes out a lot (career .236 average, .225 and 155 K's last year) and Cubs already have enough of those. He's not even an on base or power guy so what need would he fill? 2016 was the last decent season he had. Even they had done a straight up trade with Russell it makes no sense to take on $6 mil more in salary unless you threw in more pieces or the Red Sox ate salary and even then he still makes no sense with problems the Cubs already have in the OF. I'm fine cutting Russell, use the $5 mil somewhere else, they may have had to eat some salary in a trade had they tendered him anyways

Also of note they tendered reliever Duane Underwood while non-tendering Hultzen both who were out of minor league options. Underwood will have to earn a spot on the opening day roster otherwise they'll have to run him through waivers or trade him but either way he's a cheap option and just 25 with some upside so that will work itself out one way or another. Hultzen I would not be surprised signs a minor league deal as the Cubs probably will be staying creative with keeping some cost saving arms in the system.

Next up will be interesting to see if the Cubs get serious about trading away a bigger name piece like Bryant, Contreras, or Schwarber as a move like that could dictate how the rest of their offseason will unfold for free agent and trade targets. Still in need of a leadoff hitter, another starting pitcher, and lots of bullpen help. This team isn't going to take a leap forward as currently constructed so even with all that payroll coming off the books if the Cubs go cheap again this offseason and don't make a big splash of some form I am not that optimistic about making the playoffs in 2020.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Disagree, I would guess the Cubs already had shopped him around and didn't find a scenario that made sense to tender him a deal. Cubs have been holding onto guys like him for too long and not making trades when guys like him still had trade value so it was time to move on and wish him the best in a new organization. As for Bradley I sure hope you aren't implying that he would be a target for the Cubs like some fans out there seem to think. Bradley Jr. is just another OF who can't hit and strikes out a lot (career .236 average, .225 and 155 K's last year) and Cubs already have enough of those. He's not even an on base or power guy so what need would he fill? 2016 was the last decent season he had. Even they had done a straight up trade with Russell it makes no sense to take on $6 mil more in salary unless you threw in more pieces or the Red Sox ate salary and even then he still makes no sense with problems the Cubs already have in the OF. I'm fine cutting Russell, use the $5 mil somewhere else, they may have had to eat some salary in a trade had they tendered him anyways

Also of note they tendered reliever Duane Underwood while non-tendering Hultzen both who were out of minor league options. Underwood will have to earn a spot on the opening day roster otherwise they'll have to run him through waivers or trade him but either way he's a cheap option and just 25 with some upside so that will work itself out one way or another. Hultzen I would not be surprised signs a minor league deal as the Cubs probably will be staying creative with keeping some cost saving arms in the system.

Next up will be interesting to see if the Cubs get serious about trading away a bigger name piece like Bryant, Contreras, or Schwarber as a move like that could dictate how the rest of their offseason will unfold for free agent and trade targets. Still in need of a leadoff hitter, another starting pitcher, and lots of bullpen help. This team isn't going to take a leap forward as currently constructed so even with all that payroll coming off the books if the Cubs go cheap again this offseason and don't make a big splash of some form I am not that optimistic about making the playoffs in 2020.

No, I definitely don't want Bradley. It was just being reported the Red Sox were shopping him and I thought the Cubs may end up doing the same with Russell. I was wrong.

Early reports suggested the Cubs weren't interested in Castellanos but it's now being reported they are, which possibly suggests they're shopping Schwarber.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
No, I definitely don't want Bradley. It was just being reported the Red Sox were shopping him and I thought the Cubs may end up doing the same with Russell. I was wrong.

Early reports suggested the Cubs weren't interested in Castellanos but it's now being reported they are, which possibly suggests they're shopping Schwarber.

If they sign Castellanos then trading Schwarber has to happen. There is no way you go into the season with corner OF of those 2 guys and Heyward up the middle, that would be a horrible OF defense. Need to get Heyward back to RF where he is best so signing or acquiring a capable CF in a trade needs to be on the shopping list this off season regardless what they do. Been saying for months now if they are going to trade Schwarber now is the time because he just came off his best season and has some trade value again. To me he is a poor man's version of Adam Dunn, hits for power but not high average and strikes out a lot and is not great defensively. I will say he has improved some defensively in LF but long term he's better suited to be DH in the AL or maybe play 1B. I think Castellanos is a better fit for this offense, hits for a higher average (career .277 hitter) and I think the change of scenery may have rejuvenated him some so as long as they don't get into a ridiculous deal with him he'll be 28 next year and in his prime years.

This off season is going to be interesting because either the Cubs make some big splashes with trades and signings or they do what they did last year and be cheap adding to their core of players and hope some of the new faces fill in the missing pieces. I don't see that 2nd strategy working out so well given the results of the past couple seasons and the window is closing with this core group of players so some tough moves are in order if they want to go for another ring in the next 2 years.