MLB: ***Official 2019-20 Cubs Offseason***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Don’t hate sticking with the status quo but I do hate a front office that says changes are coming after back to back seasons of under performing and then making no changes.

But it’s a top five team with a loaded farm system according to this board.

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Im not going to get too involved as Jack just wants to fight

While no one on here has said we have a top 5 farm system, I do agree with many that we do have a healthy farm system that is growing and should be pretty solid (I would guess Top 10-12 from Baseball America next year)

And with two players selected in today’s Rule 5 Draft, I think it shows the Cubs do indeed have depth in the minors that can be functional in the MLB, as we finished with the second most players taken. P

Attachments

• D7C0385E-C358-40C0-94B2-58C3A3A4E0C5.png
    D7C0385E-C358-40C0-94B2-58C3A3A4E0C5.png
    92 KB · Views: 6

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I'd take Baez over Bryant just for the fact that KB is terrible with RISP and the opposite of clutch

• Funny
Reactions: CyPunch

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Great. Now do 2017 and 2018

Sure, he was better in low leverage situations in 2017 and 2018 than high leverage situations. I'd kind of throw out the second half of 2018 results as a clear abnormality compared to the rest of his career since he was playing injured (a whole different discussion on yet another things the Cubs are doing wrong).

Javy's WRC+ has been lowest in high leverage situations (as compared to medium and low leverage spots) for all 6 of his MLB seasons FWIW.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Im not going to get too involved as Jack just wants to fight

While no one on here has said we have a top 5 farm system, I do agree with many that we do have a healthy farm system that is growing and should be pretty solid (I would guess Top 10-12 from Baseball America next year)

And with two players selected in today’s Rule 5 Draft, I think it shows the Cubs do indeed have depth in the minors that can be functional in the MLB, as we finished with the second most players taken. P

I think it's a real stretch to say having two players selected in the Rule 5 draft proves they have quality depth in the minors. A light hitting infielder and a 26 year middle reliever are not impact MLB players. And I would gladly take the other side of your bet that the Cubs have a top 12 minor league system next year, with the caveat that this only applies assuming they don't make a big KB/Contreras for prospects trade.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I think it's a real stretch to say having two players selected in the Rule 5 draft proves they have quality depth in the minors. A light hitting infielder and a 26 year middle reliever are not impact MLB players. And I would gladly take the other side of your bet that the Cubs have a top 12 minor league system next year, with the caveat that this only applies assuming they don't make a big KB/Contreras for prospects trade.

My argument is simply that it wasn't the **** show some people made it out to be.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Sure, he was better in low leverage situations in 2017 and 2018 than high leverage situations. I'd kind of throw out the second half of 2018 results as a clear abnormality compared to the rest of his career since he was playing injured (a whole different discussion on yet another things the Cubs are doing wrong).

Javy's WRC+ has been lowest in high leverage situations (as compared to medium and low leverage spots) for all 6 of his MLB seasons FWIW.

There is an actual clutch stat. KB is terrible at it.

https://library.fangraphs.com/misc/clutch/

KB has a career -3.42

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/kris-bryant/15429/stats?position=3B#winprobability

When the pressure is on, he blows. Trade KB and Willy for prospects

• Funny
Reactions: CyPunch

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Where is all that money that the Ricketts family is making. They spent it on upgrading Wrigley and salaries.:rolleyes: Steinbrenners spend theirs on getting a quality pitcher and cost be damned.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Dave Kaplan on "Cubs Talk" Podcast, with special guest Jim Callis of MLB Pipeline, who's job is to literally grade prospects.

First Conversation:

Kap: Look at how this front office has drafted from 2012 through 2019. Take out KB, which was obvious, and this Front Office gets a "D" for its draft ability.

Callis: Well, you're forgetting Gleybor Torres, Eloy Jimenez, Dylan Cease, Nico Hoerner, Miguel Amaya, Kyle Schwarber, and Javy Baez. I'd give them a "B"

Kap: But where is our Gavin Lux?

Callis: Well, you guys traded him for Aroldis Chapman, who in turn won you a World Series...I'm not a Cubs fan, but I think that move can be defended.

Second Conversation:

Callis: If I'm the Cubs, I would call the Mets and talk about Syndergaard

Kap: But why not a team like the Braves? Why not just take Max Fried?

Callis: Again, I'm not a Cubs fan, but if Max Fried is the center piece for Kris Bryant from the Braves, the Cubs better be getting two of the Braves top 4 prospects as well.

Kap: Why would the Braves give up 22 years of team control of 2 years of Kris Bryant?

Callis: Why would the Cubs give up Kris Bryant for Max Fried?

Kap is such an idiot.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Dave Kaplan on "Cubs Talk" Podcast, with special guest Jim Callis of MLB Pipeline, who's job is to literally grade prospects.

First Conversation:

Kap: Look at how this front office has drafted from 2012 through 2019. Take out KB, which was obvious, and this Front Office gets a "D" for its draft ability.

Callis: Well, you're forgetting Gleybor Torres, Eloy Jimenez, Dylan Cease, Nico Hoerner, Miguel Amaya, Kyle Schwarber, and Javy Baez. I'd give them a "B"

Callis: Well, you guys traded him for Aroldis Chapman, who in turn won you a World Series...I'm not a Cubs fan, but I think that move can be defended.

Second Conversation:

Callis: Again, I'm not a Cubs fan, but if Max Fried is the center piece for Kris Bryant from the Braves, the Cubs better be getting two of the Braves top 4 prospects as well.

Kap: Why would the Braves give up 22 years of team control of 2 years of Kris Bryant?

Kap is such an idiot.

Kap is not an idiot, just his opinion. He’s been pretty solid to the deficiencies the Cubs are in now and has been saying for most of this year. And he’s as homer as it gets.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Kap is not an idiot, just his opinion. He’s been pretty solid to the deficiencies the Cubs are in now and has been saying for most of this year. And he’s as homer as it gets.

Homer, I agree.

But he said the Cubs deserve a D on their draft, hinted that Max Fried should be enough for Kris Bryant, and not mentioned above was his questioning a guy who works as a scout for the MLB whether Marquez was too highly ranked as a prospect.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Homer, I agree.

But he said the Cubs deserve a D on their draft, hinted that Max Fried should be enough for Kris Bryant, and not mentioned above was his questioning a guy who works as a scout for the MLB whether Marquez was too highly ranked as a prospect.

He gets paid to rile people up. He's dumb, but not the dummy in that equation.
Just stop tuning in, Chicago.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

First Conversation:

Second Conversation:

Kap is such an idiot.

The Cubs didn’t draft Jimenez and Torres though, they simply out paid everyone else for them. That avenue to acquire players is now closed as the penalties for overspending on international guys has increased significantly. They also didn’t draft Báez, Hendry did. So this guy seems to not know much for someone who’s job involves evaluating minor league prospects.