Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm not sure why I keep clicking on the XF thread, it will all be decided on Nov 11 anyway. The hawkeye hoop one is another one I should ignore but I keep going back like a moth to a flame.

Well off to be constructive today (hopefully)
Sometimes they are fun but more often drudgery.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
That's a ritzy place. The $50 bill doesn't surprise me at all. Have the leaves all fallen? West Virginia looks so depressing in the winter. Gorgeous when the trees are green.
Not yet on the leaves, but it's happening. The mums in the front were blanketed with frost this morning. We walked inside the main building this morning. There's a lot of history and historic events and people in its past. Hopefully we get time to walk the grounds while we're here.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Get a head lamp....next Saturday at about 8 pm CST might be a good time to go out and rake leaves.

Our next door neighbor in Lincoln had a huge sycamore with leaves the size of my hand. I remember husband and I being out around 7p CST, raking leaves because it was finally dry. Luckily, we had a street light right near our yard. That, and having the curtains open on the picture window worked out fine for us.

Since my trick-or-treating years were during the 80's scare of razors and drugs in our candy, we'd only go to houses where we knew the people. We'd go on our block, and then drive about 2 miles to a church friend's neighborhood. One of their neighbors, an older gentleman, gave out whole Hershey bars and a silver dollar to each kid. That was cool.

Husband en route to Fort Dodge for the state cross country meet. (Alas, not for softball) Both girls and boys Davis County teams qualified, Albia boys team, and 8 other individual area runners made it.

With that, I need to head out to get bacon to make my potato soup today. That time of year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I won't let this go, but Jurrasic Park (currently on) is a better movie if one of the main characters or children gets taken out during the stormy T-Rex scene.

It's what's missing vs. something like Jaws.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
I won't let this go, but Jurrasic Park (currently on) is a better movie if one of the main characters or children gets taken out during the stormy T-Rex scene.

It's what's missing vs. something like Jaws.

In the here and now? I can see your point.

But I'm pretty sure Spielberg et al wanted this movie to appeal to a much larger audience because a) dinosaurs, and b) want to show off the nifty new computer graphics. (Which heck, those 25 year old computer graphics still hold up pretty strong) Killing a kid would have made it way too dark for the audience the studio was targeting.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
In the here and now? I can see your point.

But I'm pretty sure Spielberg et al wanted this movie to appeal to a much larger audience because a) dinosaurs, and b) want to show off the nifty new computer graphics. (Which heck, those 25 year old computer graphics still hold up pretty strong) Killing a kid would have made it way too dark for the audience the studio was targeting.

Can't disagree with that perspective, which I think is what ruins it for me. Jaws may look a little more campy in parts (although still very effective in many ways) but to me it's aged better in how it was done.

Halfway through Jurassic Park it just turns into people putting themselves in stupid situations to a point where you start cheering for the dinosaurs.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hopefully I can get out and mow and bag leaves this weekend. At least the ones that have fallen. Of course the light rain today didn't do me any favors.

Not feeling the weather love. 2019 can EABOD. Guess I should have raked some yesterday. The slight chance of rain/snow happened and it was some snow. Will melt today but everything is wet and next week is 20 degrees below normal with a high of 26 for Thursday. Even though the leaves are not done falling I might have to do the roof climb tomorrow before it gets too cold and icy up there.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
This is going to be really random, and it's a long way there...but there's context. We watched the movie "Poms" Thursday night. Cute movie...kinda similar to Cocoon in terms of senior rejuvenation. At any rate, one character decides to be cremated and packed into fireworks after she dies. Now, Lew & I have both expressed our preference for cremation, but have not really settled on what to do with our ashes afterward. I've been looking into this "become a tree" idea, and have pretty much decided to go with that. So when we were talking about the fireworks idea (which he loved, by the way...because EXPLOSIONS!!!), I mentioned the tree thing. I also told him that of course it would have to be a Sycamore tree.

He didn't get my joke... :(

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Husband en route to Fort Dodge for the state cross country meet. (Alas, not for softball) Both girls and boys Davis County teams qualified, Albia boys team, and 8 other individual area runners made it.

Flashback to driving down to see niece run in the cross country meet at Fort Dodge. Long enough ago that I saw Tim Floyd :cool: at the meet. He was taller in real life than I had thought.

Trip started out poorly. Night driving in rain in dense traffic when a concrete block appeared in my lane. Too much traffic to swerve so hit it (Dad Boxster's "DON'T SWERVE" is ingrained for life) . Shredded the tire and ruined the rim on CWW#2s Lexis. Boo that. Pulled over on shoulder and tried to jack the car up (right passenger tire) but shoulder edge was wet/saturated and jack was sinking, slipping n tipping.....wasn't going to happen. Next thing we know some dude in a trash car pulls over. You know the junky car completely filled with stuff, looked like everything he owned plus all of the food wrappers. He, of course, has a floor jack amongst all of the junk. :rolleyes:

I know, Cool Story Bro :oops:, but I live my life one flashback to another. My brain is like a 500GB hard-drive with 499GB filled up with useless data and fragments. :eek:

/end morning flashback

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I love the guy’s expression in that commercial. Wonder how many tries it took to get it right.

So many of their commercials are little masterpieces. I love them but would never buy insurance from a company that spends so much on advertising. Them and half a dozen others.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This is going to be really random, and it's a long way there...but there's context. We watched the movie "Poms" Thursday night. Cute movie...kinda similar to Cocoon in terms of senior rejuvenation. At any rate, one character decides to be cremated and packed into fireworks after she dies. Now, Lew & I have both expressed our preference for cremation, but have not really settled on what to do with our ashes afterward. I've been looking into this "become a tree" idea, and have pretty much decided to go with that. So when we were talking about the fireworks idea (which he loved, by the way...because EXPLOSIONS!!!), I mentioned the tree thing. I also told him that of course it would have to be a Sycamore tree.

He didn't get my joke... :(

Okay, I don't get it either. :oops:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
******* robo scammer calls are leaving messages now which they didn't used to. Annoying. Yesterday I supposedly needed to call regarding my subscription to some antivirus thingie or it would automatically renew. Oh, no! Today I need to call this investigative service prior to my hearing with "the magistrate judge" or face "suspension" of my social security number. :rolleyes:

I've got more respect for a common house burglar than these ******* parasites that prey on vulnerable adults. If someone was running for president and said "I'll put a stop to robo calls by the end of my first year in office!" it would be more important to me than most of the **** they spout.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone and NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It may or may not help that it is a reference to Sunday School in my childhood.

giphy.gif

With the exception of Biblical references. o_O

Reactions: ImJustKCClone
Status
Not open for further replies.