For you realignment geeks (like me)....

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm guessing that in a power 32 conference the fan base that's use to winning 7-10 games a yr isn't going to be very happy taking a sub .500 season. No matter how it's set up someone has to take a loss.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Why limit to 32 teams...just because the NFL has 32 teams...hogwash. The Power 5 set up right now...64 teams...is already in position to make this happen...breaking away from the traditional NCAA structure seems more likely to me. Plus, the conference themselves have self preservation ideals that will drive how this moves forward. I do like that the writer recognizes that USC is all that the PAC 12 has to offer in the way of "elite...top 32" schools...putting the other 11 schools in the bottom 32. Ouch.

More than USC would be invited because TV audience, sponsorship potential, etc will come into play. Plus I think they would want some geographic rivals. I would think UCLA, Cal or Stanford, Oregon and Washington would all get considered.

I think the current Pac12 issue is because all programs but CU are Pacific time zone. In a 32 team elite model if there only a few west coast games a week, it becomes less of a broadcast issue. People are more apt to watch a cross sectional game like Texas or Ohio State vs. Stanford.

Greed always wins out so if the Ohio States, Alabama's or Texas can find a way to keep a bigger share of the TV rights pie, they will.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I wish the NFL would do something like this. Living in Iowa I am tired of only watching NFC North games. I wish channels like CBS and FOX were for the Game of the week games and channels like CBS Sports, FS1, ESPN etc would show the remaining games. Would be interesting to see if they would make more money that way vs sunday ticket.
Did you enjoy that Browns @ Patriots game the other day? Yikes! Give me the NFC North or give me death!

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
I could see that. However, many people would probably pick a team to follow in both leagues as well, like most people have a favorite NFL team and NCAA team. Would you completely stop watching Iowa State games?

I think people would stop watching the schools that pay players - people don't watch the pro minor leagues now. Take basketball for example: When is g league night on ESPN? The worst g league team is better than the best college team and they can't get on TV. Paid college teams would be the 3rd best pro league in the US. I think the ameture model is a big part of the draw for audiences

Reactions: isutrevman

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Larry Scott has ran the PAC12 into the ground and has no idea how to make TV and media rights work. Why are people listening to him. Teams in his conference are the ones that come up when people talk of the teams leaving.

Also if you go to something like 32 teams you will turn a lot of people off of college sports.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
My question is if no NCAA in NFL lite, what prevents Freshman from heading to the NFL after a great season?This would just be NFL G-league.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Greed always wins out so if the Ohio States, Alabama's or Texas can find a way to keep a bigger share of the TV rights pie, they will.
Well, the richest entity in terms of TV rights is the NFL, and everyone gets an equal share regardless of whether a small market, irrelevant team, or big brands like the Cowboys. The richest conferences, the SEC and Big 10, also were the conferences most willing to have wealth redistribution.

The P5 shouldn’t pay for non-P5 programs, but I don’t see 32 being the magic number.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Regarding the 32-team CFB model: The pool of "absolutes" for inclusion would be easy to predict. But the closer you get to the cut-off point ... who gets in, who doesn't?

I you think NCAA Tournament bubble-talk brings debate each March, imagine what would erupt with last-in/first-out for determining final 32 for the Elite League, with big money and exposure at stake.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I think people would stop watching the schools that pay players - people don't watch the pro minor leagues now. Take basketball for example: When is g league night on ESPN? The worst g league team is better than the best college team and they can't get on TV. Paid college teams would be the 3rd best pro league in the US. I think the ameture model is a big part of the draw for audiences
The difference is that folks are already attached to their Universities, but nobody is attached to G-League teams. So, I do think a Super League of teams like Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Southern California, etc. would be very successful. I also think the next level (which would be similar to the way it is now) with teams like Iowa State, Purdue, Mizzou, Wash. State, etc. would also be successful. I would actually prefer it, as teams like Iowa State would actually have a real chance to win Championships (Think Big Xii without OU and Texas). This level could add some of the best programs from the G5 to replace the Super teams that leave. Then, the lower G5s can have their own subdivision too. Bottom line is that I don't think Iowa State football is threatened by a Super League of 32 or less and might find it liberating.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
The difference is that folks are already attached to their Universities, but nobody is attached to G-League teams. So, I do think a Super League of teams like Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Southern California, etc. would be very successful. I also think the next level (which would be similar to the way it is now) with teams like Iowa State, Purdue, Mizzou, Wash. State, etc. would also be successful. I would actually prefer it, as teams like Iowa State would actually have a real chance to win Championships (Think Big Xii without OU and Texas). This level could add some of the best programs from the G5 to replace the Super teams that leave. Then, the lower G5s can have their own subdivision too. Bottom line is that I don't think Iowa State football is threatened by a Super League of 32 or less and might find it liberating.
Meh. I recall in my lifetime this thing called the AFL. No way they could compete with the NFL. But then the Chiefs destroyed the Vikings. The end of the league via merger. No way those 32 will continue to separate themselves from the pack. Heck, we should be able to beat Texas this year. Why on earth should they be elevated to a higher status? Or, the simple fact we beat Oklahoma a couple years ago. Bottomline: ISU is too close to those schools to demote them. And, as far as money goes, I could never understand why those schools have more money. Alumni count alone would put the University of Illinois in the hunt for wealth. C'mon folks. This 'A' league approach is protectionism at its best. It'll fail.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Part of me wants to see this happen. I’d love to see some of those “super teams” get taken down a notch. As has been mentioned before in this thread, can you imagine an Ohio State, Alabama, LSU, “lil ole” Clemson, Michigan, etc, etc going 2-10/1-11, and possibly having that happen multiple times in a row? Might cause riots.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Part of me wants to see this happen. I’d love to see some of those “super teams” get taken down a notch. As has been mentioned before in this thread, can you imagine an Ohio State, Alabama, LSU, “lil ole” Clemson, Michigan, etc, etc going 2-10/1-11, and possibly having that happen multiple times in a row? Might cause riots.
Great point. And they can say "at least we're in the A league". Boy, I'll bet that's WEEEE WEEEE WEEEE all the way home :)

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The problem is in terms of media "college football" coverage, shows, articles become synonymous with the 32 team league. The dollars will absolutely dry up for the lesser league as it will have zero importance in the eyes of sports media and as a result zero importance in the eyes of all but the die hards.
I'm sure there were UNI fans that were glad when Creighton and WSU left the valley but realize that eventually playing in a trash one bid league eventually catches up to you. Now every game they play save for the Conf Tourney is completely meaningless. At least they have a chance to get in the NCAA tournament and play at the highest level. A league outside the 32 power teams would be worse than that. This would destroy ISU football. And most of those fans that lose interest in their non-power league teams aren't going to start becoming big fans of one if the 32. It's just an NFL with far less talent.
I think in the long term everybody loses in this scenario, maybe except the NFL.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Meh. I recall in my lifetime this thing called the AFL. No way they could compete with the NFL. But then the Chiefs destroyed the Vikings. The end of the league via merger. No way those 32 will continue to separate themselves from the pack. Heck, we should be able to beat Texas this year. Why on earth should they be elevated to a higher status? Or, the simple fact we beat Oklahoma a couple years ago. Bottomline: ISU is too close to those schools to demote them. And, as far as money goes, I could never understand why those schools have more money. Alumni count alone would put the University of Illinois in the hunt for wealth. C'mon folks. This 'A' league approach is protectionism at its best. It'll fail.
There’s little chance the 32 tier happens without first stopping at 64/65 schools paying athletes, then something less as schools opt out for a more traditional “collegiate” model. It would have to be gradual, and include some form of relegation

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
Honestly I believe the single largest obstacle to a 32 team 'amateur' college super conference would be the US Congress.

In forming that super conference there would be many states left out. Those states would probably have powerful Senators that could threaten the tax exempt status of this new conference and the participating schools.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Run college football like the Premier league, with fluid tiers of teams jockeying for position every year.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Realistically it is going to take years to sort out how the endorsement rights stuff sorts itself out. The NCAA is going to try and write rules to keep it in check and everyone playing nice. I think they know that if it gets too out of balance, bad stuff happens for them--meaning, renewed interest from easily offended political figures about their tax exempt status. I think, from TV networks and across the landscape of college football there is no desire to do anything that upsets the apple cart too much.

I also believe the value of streaming college football is too hard to determine at this early stage to be much of a game changer. Live sports is very valuable on network TV and streaming isn't as reliable as it will need to be to force people to dump what they are familiar with.

So put me in the camp that believes very little happens this go around.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron