OT: Gender Reveal Explosion Kills Local Woman

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yeah, there are explosions and then there’s putting gunpowder in a metal pipe. I think I learned my lesson from blowing up a potato gun with just some butane.

So just overloaded it with butane? Potato stuck in the barrel? C'mon Doc finish this story, it seems like it has potential.

• Funny
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Before reading the article I was guessing they were fooling around with tannerite and screwed up. Making their own pipe bomb by mistake that pretty amazing/surprising/sad.

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor
D

Deleted member 8507

When I was a kid guys handed out cheap cigars with a wrapper that had printed on it either "It's a boy" or "It's a girl"
i went with Baby Ruth bars for both of my daughters (but never named either one Ruth)

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Before reading the article I was guessing they were fooling around with tannerite and screwed up. Making their own pipe bomb by mistake that pretty amazing/surprising/sad.

It's pretty ******* stupid.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It's pretty ******* stupid.

Yeah, but nobody here feels near as bad for the family as the person who screwed up and killed one of their own relatives in a tragic accident.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Wife wanted to do them, figured it was a good excuse to use the smoker. I don't do personal social media other than Snapchat.

First one was silly string. Second was the first one dunking a ball filled with powder. Looking back, we were lucky to avoid any casualties outside of those poor pigs roasting at 225.

b04294f9-3c2b-4864-9959-df86268c729b_1.95a2a647dac293e4ee4b059f9d431ebe.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Technically, aren't all fist pumps "quiet" fist pumps? Or did you first remove your tinklebell bracelet and then perform the fist pump?

Unfortunately my elbow and shoulder sound like a cement mixer from baseball.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I didn't want to know on any of my three girls. First one, my wife actually went a full 24 hrs before telling me, after the ultrasound. Second one, we didn't know until she popped out. Third girl, I don't remember how but we knew before she was born. I saved the name Kyle James for my first male dog, which I'm not going to get either. But I wouldn't trade my girls for anything.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I have a special disdain for gender reveal parties. With our 4th child somehow I got put in charge of going to get an enormous balloon that they would then fill with either pink or blue confetti. I handed the nice lady a the card, wandered around the store until she was done and came back to the balloon wrapped and covered with a black plastic bag.

By the time I get back most people have already arrived. I bring the balloon in and take off the plastic covering and I'll be damned if you couldn't see straight through that freakin' balloon. You could instantly tell the color of the confetti. Wife's immediate reaction was "oh, it's a girl".

The wife was not thrilled, and to this day I think she believes it was a deliberate attempt to sabotage the gender reveal party I'd spent the week prior ******** about.

Last edited:

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Let's see here:

1. Metal base plate - Check
2. 2 x 2 metal piece attached to metal base plate in the bottom - Check
3. Gun powder - Check
4. Fuse - Check
5. Piece of wood on top of the buffer material and gun powder - Check
6. Colored powder for gender type - Check
7. Tape to cover top or 2 x 2 metal piece to prevent people from seeing what the color of the
colored powder was - Check
8. Person making IED has no clue what could happen - Check

I've seen people use dynamite to blow up beaver dams when I was younger, 40+ years ago. I was smart enough to lay on the ground in ditch before the dams blew up. Just the sound and feeling the shock waves in the ground just left me with this " I had no idea that one little stick, could cause that much damage" feeling.

To be standing 45' away and get hit in the head by a flying piece of shrapnel and it lands 144 yards from where it struck the person just goes to show the power that gun powder has. Makes you wonder how much was used in this device. I guess they should be thankful no one else got hurt out.

I feel bad for the family, but just the lack of common sense here is astonishing. Think about how much powder goes into a shot gun shell or a rifle cartridge. Makes you wonder how much was put in the device.