Turn kicking woes into competitive advantage

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Am I the only one who thinks the recent kicking woes might be a great opportunity to create a competitive advantage? Every decision is situational, of course, but I think we would be pretty dangerous if the coaches used the general philosophy that we're going for it on any 4th down between the opponent's 25 and 35. From the opponent's perspective, I would hate to have to defend this offense for four downs in that field position.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
Essentially what I'm suggesting is proactively adopting this as a general philosophy, not a strict rule. But it would inform game planning throughout the week and playcalling from the opening kick, rather than the decision point coming when you stall out between the 25 and 35.

I agree- we need to be able to kick. But right now we're not making them consistently enough to keep trotting someone out there in that field position.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I get it and when I’m watching the game I’m usually yelling go for it. I just think it’s gonna bite us in the ass at the end of the year. Only way to get better is attempting kicks in games. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Bewilderme

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Am I the only one who thinks the recent kicking woes might be a great opportunity to create a competitive advantage? Every decision is situational, of course, but I think we would be pretty dangerous if the coaches used the general philosophy that we're going for it on any 4th down between the opponent's 25 and 35. From the opponent's perspective, I would hate to have to defend this offense for four downs in that field position.

In general i think a lot of teams could benefit from this, from even further out than the 35 probably, could even go out to the 50.

The net swing from A) the additional chance of scoring, and B) even if you don't score, the incremental decrease in score if you push the ball forward another set of downs or two if you complete the 4th down is worth it.

The biggest benefit is that you can treat the preceding downs differently when its not a question of 'going for it' and is instead just part of your offensive plan. 3rd and 10? You don't have to go for the sticks, instead you can opt to take the safe 5-6 yard play if it is open. And because of that, then on 1st and 2nd down you can, for instance, opt to take more high risk\reward plays due to not being as worried about being stuck in third and long. It really just opens things up a lot more.

• Agree
Reactions: Rick

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
"The biggest benefit is that you can treat the preceding downs differently when its not a question of 'going for it' and is instead just part of your offensive plan.. It really just opens things up a lot more."

EXACTLY. And imagine this offense with more downs at it's disposal, and more options on first through third downs.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: GTO

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
From a game theory standpoint - and there is CFB and NFL data/analyses out there that backs this up - coaches punt way too often. Even from their own side of the 50 teams should be going for it much more than they do.

Reactions: psychlone99

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
From a game theory standpoint - and there is CFB and NFL data/analyses out there that backs this up - coaches punt way too often. Even from their own side of the 50 teams should be going for it much more than they do.
not game theory, it's simple probability analysis.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I think we would be pretty dangerous if the coaches used the general philosophy that we're going for it on any 4th down between the opponent's 25 and 35. From the opponent's perspective, I would hate to have to defend this offense for four downs in that field position.

There's a HS football coach in Arkansas who rarely punts and is a consistent winner - got a ton of press three or four years ago. I don't know why he's never had the opportunity to test his theories at the collegiate level - could be the rare bird who doesn't want to move...

Statistics drove his thinking - don't punt from deep in your own territory because:
Team getting the ball at your forty will score 75% of the time;
Team getting the ball at your ten will score 95% of the time;
Therefore, you might as well "go" all the time,,,

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Didnt Baylor essentially beat isu because their kicking game sucked? Could be wrong but didnt they convert (2) 4th downs within fg range to eventually score td's turning what would have been 6 pts into 14.

Could be wrong

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There's a HS football coach in Arkansas who rarely punts and is a consistent winner - got a ton of press three or four years ago. I don't know why he's never had the opportunity to test his theories at the collegiate level - could be the rare bird who doesn't want to move...

Statistics drove his thinking - don't punt from deep in your own territory because:
Team getting the ball at your forty will score 75% of the time;
Team getting the ball at your ten will score 95% of the time;
Therefore, you might as well "go" all the time,,,
But how often is that score a TD at the 40 vs. at the 10? Also, the quality of your defense and the quality of the other team's offense comes into play - and the amount of time remaining and the score.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron