The infamous holding call

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Well, sometimes it is how the ball bounces. ISU caught some breaks the last few years. You cannot always win close games. Gotta go for the jugular more. (As an Iowa fan I get really frustrated by this from our style of play).

Totally agree. I'd much rather catch a break in a conference game and get screwed in the non conference than vice versa

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You're missing the point here. These guys are acting like AJ dominated during the game. He didn't 'dominate.' Sure he made plays and impacted the game, just like a handful of other players did, but he wasn't a superman like they are claiming.

No, definitely not.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
It does kind of suck for both fanbases that bad calls cost each team a really good scoring opportunity. I can definitely see what ISU fans are upset about the hold call when I'm still having a hard time with the no call PI on Beyer.

Both of those questionable calls will definitely keep the fires stoked for the next year's game.

Reactions: SWIowaDC

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This is how sports work. To be good / great, you have to be lucky. Hopefully we got this bad luck out of the way early, but as an Iowa State fan, that's usually not how it goes.

Iowa has proven that over the years. Go back and look at their years with really good records and it's incredible how much the ball bounced their way.

• Agree
Reactions: Thinker

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Iowa has proven that over the years. Go back and look at their years with really good records and it's incredible how much the ball bounced their way.
That happens though. To be a great team the ball HAS to bounce your way because you're not going to blow out everyone. Look at a couple of the losses Tom Brady has had in Superbowls in regards to the catches that were made. Then look at the times luck has been on his side: Seahawks poor play call, Edelman's catch against the Falcons, Chiefs being offsides on the interception.

Reactions: SWIowaDC

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Different styles, the better teams on any given game do not make mistakes. Sorry but that is 100% true. Disciplined teams are better than undisciplined teams, especially when the score indicates it at the end.

Was in a game where we had a punt returner fumble four punts. We were pounding them but squeaked out a win due to massive turnovers. Finally coach told the kid to just run away and the O solve things.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That happens though. To be a great team the ball HAS to bounce your way because you're not going to blow out everyone. Look at a couple of the losses Tom Brady has had in Superbowls in regards to the catches that were made. Then look at the times luck has been on his side: Seahawks poor play call, Edelman's catch against the Falcons, Chiefs being offsides on the interception.

Yep, I completely agree.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Was in a game where we had a punt returner fumble four punts. We were pounding them but squeaked out a win due to massive turnovers. Finally coach told the kid to just run away and the O solve things.

So your team made a bunch of mistakes and almost lost? I am sure you guys got "lucky" on some kind of play. At the end of the game, it is always the team that paid attention to the details and executed and did not make mistakes that wins. Every time. No matter who the game is between.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So your team made a bunch of mistakes and almost lost? I am sure you guys got "lucky" on some kind of play. At the end of the game, it is always the team that paid attention to the details and executed and did not make mistakes that wins. Every time. No matter who the game is between.

Is getting called for a game changing penalty that was completely bogus "making a mistake"?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Is getting called for a game changing penalty that was completely bogus "making a mistake"?
Also we fumbled the ball twice against UNI, one of those being a scoop and score, we continuously shot ourselves in the foot with dumb penalties but we ended up winning. By getting lucky? Maybe. But it's not every single time that the team with more mistakes loses the game.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

You are right, that other team did get a block in the back called on them that was bogus. So I guess we did get lucky by the refs putting a screw job on them in the fourth.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
You are right, that other team did get a block in the back called on them that was bogus. So I guess we did get lucky by the refs putting a screw job on them in the fourth.
But what happened in the other quarters? and after that penalty? I have had those calls go against me while coaching too, but I do not blame the refs for the game when we had missed opportunities.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Also we fumbled the ball twice against UNI, one of those being a scoop and score, we continuously shot ourselves in the foot with dumb penalties but we ended up winning. By getting lucky? Maybe. But it's not every single time that the team with more mistakes loses the game.

I am not talking just turnovers, I am talking about penalties, execution, play calls, shanked punts and kicks, missed blocks etc. It all adds up in the end of the game and the team that does those more always loses, always.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
But what happened in the other quarters? and after that penalty? I have had those calls go against me while coaching too, but I do not blame the refs for the game when we had missed opportunities.

Didn’t blame the refs, didn’t even think of it until you made me realize they were hosed. We were just more talented. We screwed up and turned the ball over.

• Funny
Reactions: HOU_Blue

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I am not talking just turnovers, I am talking about penalties, execution, play calls, shanked punts and kicks, missed blocks etc. It all adds up in the end of the game and the team that does those more always loses, always.
I will agree with you that if you're playing a good opponent and make tons of mistakes, you will almost 100% of the time lose the game. I will disagree on this point when playing lesser opponents because it does not guarantee a loss 100% of the time. Iowa could lose the turnover battle and throw a pick-6 against Middle Tennessee next week and still win the game. If those same things happened against Michigan they would definitely lose.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
I will agree with you that if you're playing a good opponent and make tons of mistakes, you will almost 100% of the time lose the game. I will disagree on this point when playing lesser opponents because it does not guarantee a loss 100% of the time. Iowa could lose the turnover battle and throw a pick-6 against Middle Tennessee next week and still win the game. If those same things happened against Michigan they would definitely lose.

I agree with you hear, but how do you explain UNI and NDSU beating Iowa and ISU then? The team that made the most mistakes lost those games.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron