BREAKING: Georgia PG commits to 2020 recruiting class

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Any ideas on his wingspan? That helps make Haliburton so effective. Been getting spoiled with 7 foot wingspans.
Just by the video i would guess just as long if not longer than TH's arms.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Nope. Malone has already ruled that out. Prohm has no eye for guards.
I’m as big of a “I want high ranked guys” as anyone until it comes to guards under Prohm. How anybody can question Prohm and staff taking an underrated guard is beyond me..

Isaiah Cannon, Cameron Payne, Tyrese Haliburton, Ja Morant (James Kane) and TBD but I’m very high on him, Tre Jackson. That’s an impressive track record.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
From 12 days ago. Sounds like he’s fairly close to being a Rivals150 guy. https://n.rivals.com/news/bossi-s-best-prospects-on-the-cusp-of-the-rivals150

Why he can push for the Rivals150: Walker has good size for a combo guard and can be an explosive scorer when he gets things rolling. He has an ideal basketball frame and just needs to get a little bit stronger. Long term, he has potential to be a defensive stopper because of his length and ability to move his feet.

Recruitment: Has official visits set to Iowa State (Sept. 13) and Mississippi (Sept. 20) along with offers from Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, New Mexico, Old Dominion and others.

Whether he sneaks in or not, I think it could be a great pickup when it is all said and done.

You can deduce he's very much on the top 150 cusp as Rivals has him as the #34 point guard and the #32 point guard is inside the overall top 150. Seems likely he'll get that bump and then some eventually.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I’m as big of a “I want high ranked guys” as anyone until it comes to guards under Prohm. How anybody can question Prohm and staff taking an underrated guard is beyond me..

Isaiah Cannon, Cameron Payne, Tyrese Haliburton, Ja Morant (James Kane) and TBD but I’m very high on him, Tre Jackson. That’s an impressive track record.

Not to mention the guys he liked like McKinley Wright and Tyler Harris, who looked good for a frosh last year.

Reactions: Thompsonclone

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
The staff told Ty Berry (a higher rated PG) to look elsewhere when Walker committed. They wouldn’t do that unless they felt he was the better player. Plus his size will be a perfect compliment to Tre Jackson defensively. Gives us the ability to use Tre off the ball to maximize his shooting.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Proving my point for me with another logical fallacy. Please point out where I specifically stated that you "know nothing about basketball recruiting and don't follow it at all"

You're perfect for a fanatical board and you've got a little fanatical following yourself to show for it. Kind of sad how people clasp onto the king fanatic.

Prohm hasn't done a whole hell of a lot to be in good graces. He's recruited an incoherent mish mash of highly and lowly rated guys and sans Fred's leftovers hasn't been able to consistently get his guys to play a reliable style. His in-game coaching leaves so much to be desired. His point guards make it to the league because he gives them unmitigated reign over the entire team and doesn't hold them accountable during games. I'll relent some and say that he finds decent talent, but my trust in him doesn't go much further than being a good representative of the university.

So no, in spite of his history of putting guards into the league, I don't have much trust for his judgment.

You know, you could have saved yourself a few minutes and just typed out "I hate Steve Prohm, 'cause he's not Fred, and everything he does sucks, so there. Nanny-nanny, boo-boo".

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Anyone being recruited to a P6 school generally has enough talent to play a roll somewhere, it's always going to be a matter of buying in and investing. Some of our recent more highly rated recruits seemingly weren't as invested as guys like Georges, Naz, Haliburton, who were less highly regarded recruits. If this kid, and any other kid Prohm offers, buys in I have no doubt he'll help the team.

George’s less highly regarded? That seems a bit revisionist. He was a 4-star. True his high school teammate was more highly recruited, but it was seen as a recruiting victory when he committed.

Reactions: FinalFourCy

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
George’s less highly regarded? That seems a bit revisionist. He was a 4-star. True his high school teammate was more highly recruited, but it was seen as a recruiting victory when he committed.
He blew up later in the recruiting process.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I understand your sentiment, and if it were a post player I'd have more doubt, but the list of highly rated Steve Prohm point guards is: Lindell Wigginton. Arguably his least successful one, too. There are a lot of variables in recruiting, just look at Tech's last two draft picks, or Ja Morant. Not saying he'll even be drafted, but Prohm has done it time and time again.

Lindell was not a flop or unsuccessful. He was so highly ranked that our expectations were off the chart. Started every game as a freshman. Was on the Big 12 All Newcomer team and earned honorable mention all Big 12 before getting the 6th man award last year. At least has a shot (contract) with an NBA team for camp. His injury kept him out of roughly a 3rd of his sophomore season. He was a scoring guard as much or more than a pure point guard. We don't We’d to denigrate him to make the point of Haliburton far exceeding expectations. Haliburton is a better passing PG, better ball handler, and likely better defender, but not nearly the scorer at the same stage as far as creating his own shot.

Last edited:

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA

I could be wrong but I thought Fred got on him early because of what Brewster’s coach told him (yes I know he played for Tilton)? I think he visited Iowa State and Iowa the same weekend but didn’t have very many high major offers. He was rated as a three star when he visited and the fans (me included) weren’t too impressed I believe. He then blew up his senior year and was given the Top 100 four star rating after he committed. I don’t think he was rated higher than around 70th on rivals/scout/247. He is now my favorite Cyclone! I could be wrong though because I am middle aged with a foggy brain!

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The staff told Ty Berry (a higher rated PG) to look elsewhere when Walker committed. They wouldn’t do that unless they felt he was the better player. Plus his size will be a perfect compliment to Tre Jackson defensively. Gives us the ability to use Tre off the ball to maximize his shooting.
Not necessarily true. Not necessarily false, either.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
This staff must love this kid. Given the small number of spots available and all the top tier kids we still have a shot to land, there is no doubt the staff thinks this kid could be special. CSP has a pretty great track record in finding undervalued guys early in the process.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This staff must love this kid. Given the small number of spots available and all the top tier kids we still have a shot to land, there is no doubt the staff thinks this kid could be special. CSP has a pretty great track record in finding undervalued guys early in the process.
I think we get this kid and XF, and keep good relationships with some others in case someone transfers or Halliburton leaves for the draft. I doubt Halli does leave, but you really never know.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I think we get this kid and XF, and keep good relationships with some others in case someone transfers or Halliburton leaves for the draft. I doubt Halli does leave, but you really never know.

I think they would oversign and take 3 in the fall if it's one of their top targets like Tyon G-F or Kerwin Walton.

Help Support Us

Become a patron