Look Who’s Complaining About B1G Scheduling Now ...

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Obviously due to poor field conditions

I had to zoom in to check the name on the jersey. I’m wondering who was wearing Jewels jersey in that play because there is no way he would have been juked out of his jock like that. That guy was the epitome of badass. Meeting him at the goal line is a good way to get killed, noway you were getting through that

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
8 conference games would be dumb. Just look at the ACC. Wake Forest and UNC are playing each other in a non-conference game this year, because they play so infrequently in conference. If that doesn't prove that mega conferences are stupid, nothing does.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
There is a 0% chance you can convince me to expand away from 10 teams. It's the perfect number for football and basketball. Round robin in both sports, play everyone once in football and twice in basketball. Football rotates home/away schedule. Basketball you play everyone home and away. Perfect.

Plus our 10th P5 game against Iowa gives us a balanced schedule of 5 home/5 away P5 games every year.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I did mention that in my post. Twice.

And I personally don’t think that’s good for football. Is it a good way to fool the playoff committee/general public/media into thinking you’re the GREATEST CONFERENCE IN THE HISTORY OF COLLEGE FOOTBAWWWW? It does seem to work - but that doesn’t make it a good idea in my eyes.

But then, I’ve always had the opinion that if you can’t win your conference (or, like Alabama gets a free pass for, even your division), you shouldn’t be considered for the playoff. Once you expand to 8, sure, but if there’s only 4 spots, no conference should be taking more than one.

I agree with you and I'm not saying you didn't mention it. Just more of a boggles my mind how cheap the SEC is for as good as they typically are at football.

• Friendly
Reactions: iowastatefan1929

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Funny thing is, when the Big 12 made the proposal to allow a title game with 10 teams, the Big 10 mandated the "divisions" for any number above 10. They were afraid the ACC was going to put their number 1 vs number 2. If I remember correctly, the ACC was the only conference to vote against this as a result.

Now the Big 10 has done a 180 on that position.
It’s interesting. Imo removing divisions would clearly be about doing what OSU, Michigan, and particularly PSU want. Having #1 vs #2 doesn’t necessarily help the conference. The chance of two top bowl games, if not CFP berths is better with #3 or #4 vs #1 imo.

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
He's not wrong though. The B1G adding a 9th game was somewhat foolish when you consider that ACC and SEC have never been penalized by playing 8. If I had to guess the B1G went to nine games because the networks asked for it since Rutgers and Maryland aren't exactly the home run TV markets they thought they were getting.

Pretty much this. The B1G went to nine conference games because the playoff committee claimed that strength of schedule mattered. Now that we have had a few years to see how this plays out, that is clearly not the case. Alabama’s schedule this year is a joke, but as long as they go 11-1 or better they will be in the playoff. Meanwhile, Ohio State plays one extra conference game last year and loses, and they get left out at 11-1.

I’d rather see the B1G stick with 9 conference games, but there’s no sense putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Pretty much this. The B1G went to nine conference games because the playoff committee claimed that strength of schedule mattered. Now that we have had a few years to see how this plays out, that is clearly not the case. Alabama’s schedule this year is a joke, but as long as they go 11-1 or better they will be in the playoff. Meanwhile, Ohio State plays one extra conference game last year and loses, and they get left out at 11-1.

I’d rather see the B1G stick with 9 conference games, but there’s no sense putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage.
Who should Ohio State have jumped last year? 3 teams in were undefeated and Oklahoma didn’t get blown out by an average 6-6 team.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
If it were up to me the Big 12 would have 8 conference games. Tell me which conferences have been left out of the playoff and notice a pattern (They all have 9 conference games) Heck, Notre Dame did not even play the magical 13th game last season (Title game) and still got into the playoff.

You need quality wins for the playoffs, how do you get quality wins? You beat a team that ends up above .500. Beating a 7-5 Akron team is considered a quality win whereas beating a 6-6 Kansas State team is not. If the SEC or ACC went to 9 conference games, that guarantees one more loss for half the teams, you know what else that does? It drops the probability that SEC schools get a quality win. Kentucky can go 4-0 in non-con and finish 7-5. If Alabama beats them, it is a quality win for Alabama. Let's say Kentucky goes 3-0 in non-con and then 3-6 in the league because they have to play LSU instead of Tulane. They are now NOT a quality win that Alabama (or anyone in the SEC) can count towards their resume.

I know some folks slobber over the round robin of the Big 12 but you are shooting yourself in the foot by doing it as far as college football playoff hopes go. I'd rather almost guarantee a playoff berth than thump my chest about having a 'tough out' in the league This can have an impact on revenue. Ask the Pac-12, they are really hurting and not getting that playoff money leaves a mark. (I know it is not their biggest issue but does play a part)

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Who should Ohio State have jumped last year? 3 teams in were undefeated and Oklahoma didn’t get blown out by an average 6-6 team.

What if the B1G only played 8 conference games last year and Ohio State would not have played Purdue? They would be undefeated and OU is sitting in the Sugar Bowl instead of the playoff. Big 12 should thank the stars that B1G went to 9 conference games!

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Why would the Big 10 want to go down to 8 conference games a year. Why make the schedule harder?
giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Funny
Reactions: WalkingCY

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I firmly believe "IF" there is another round of expansions in any conference, including the Big XII, it will be to get to 20 teams. I think if the Big XII expands it will be some form of merger or take over of the PAC12 to get to that magic number.

Reason being it allows a mega conference with 2 divisions that can each be set up like the Big XII is now. With the champion of each Mega Division going to a conference championship.

This would allow a major conference with a HUGE conference Championship. Think of a conference championship that is actually between the Big XII and the PAC 12, in say Vegas at the new Stadium they are building. That would be a HUGE draw.
And if all the conferences went to that it would make for some huge games.
There is also a chance conferences go to the Big XII model by actually reducing teams too. Or nothing could happen too.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The point is that if Ohio State wouldn’t have had the extra crossover game against Purdue, they could have scheduled a creampuff like the SEC schools do and gone 13-0.
Didn’t Purdue lose to Iowa Eastern Michigan?

The point is OSU could have gone 12-1 in the MAC, and they still should not have been in

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Ohio State went 12-1 last year before the playoffs were announced. I think the Maryland game was almost as big of an issue as the Purdue game. tOSU looked vulnerable in that one IIRC.

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
Come on everyone, we know this is because the gauntlet that is known as the B1G West is to strong of a division and doesn't give Iowa a fair chance.

• Friendly
Reactions: iowastatefan1929