Coach Messingham, I've seen both pluses and minuses ...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Mess calling plays at NDSU doesn't mean he's ready for P5 football again. He was at the "Alabama" of FCS and had an advantage at every single position on both sides of the ball. Honestly, same can probably be said for Klieman. How many head coaches make the jump from FCS to to a P5 head coaching position? I have a hard time not seeing K-State falling off big time.
I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Klieman. He has been a part of all seven NDSU FCS championships; 4 as head coach and 2 as Defensive Coordinator.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
My point still stands...

Actually, your point doesn't stand until we get underway. Right now, you're just bloviating about what you think, not know, but believe will happen in the future. Klieman's wearing 7 national championship rings for a reason. It's impossible to know today whether or not that means beans to his K-State success.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Actually, your point doesn't stand until we get underway. Right now, you're just bloviating about what you think, not know, but believe will happen in the future. Klieman's wearing 7 national championship rings for a reason. It's impossible to know today whether or not that means beans to his K-State success.

NDSU has ALL of the advantages at the FCS level so to question whether or not Kliemans success translates to P5 football isn't out of line.

• Agree
Reactions: xboxfever

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Everyone should feel sorry for Courtney Messingham. He has inherited an offense that is in worse shape than the one he left at Iowa State. His fullbacks and running backs available for this season have 0 carries, 0 receptions, and 0 returns in Big 12 play. It does not get any worse than that!
That 2013 Iowa State team was one of the worst I’ve ever seen. Kansas State is in for a rough year probably, but they will probably be better than our 2013 team.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
NDSU has ALL of the advantages at the FCS level so to question whether or not Kliemans success translates to P5 football isn't out of line.
I agree with that statement which is quite different than this one you made earlier: I have a hard time not seeing K-State falling off big time.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I agree with that statement which is quite different than this one you made earlier: I have a hard time not seeing K-State falling off big time.

Correct, I have a hard time not seeing K-State falling off. Much like Iowa State, the deck isn't stacked in K-states favor. What I said isn't out of line...

• Disagree
Reactions: surly

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Correct, I have a hard time not seeing K-State falling off. Much like Iowa State, the deck isn't stacked in K-states favor. What I said isn't out of line...
You're out of line!

;)
For some reason my Seneca-lad sometimes copies as normal, sometimes inserts as a thumbnail and sometimes doesn't insert at all.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I didn't even look at everyone. However they have to have 2 Natties to not be exceeded by Mess's two back to back NC at NDSU. I think Carroll qualifies but doesn't Brown only have one NC?
Carroll has the NCAA champ with USC in 2004 and the Superbowl win with the Seahawks in 2013.
Brown has the NCAA champ with UT in 2005. Couldn't find any championships higher than conference in any of his asst. coach positions.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Carroll has the NCAA champ with USC in 2004 and the Superbowl win with the Seahawks in 2013.
Brown has the NCAA champ with UT in 2005. Couldn't find any championships higher than conference in any of his asst. coach positions.
I wasn't counting NFL championships only college, but that was my decision. It wasn't clear what the intent was there. Most of the pro leagues in the US arrogantly declare their champions "World Champions" rather than national champions.

Carroll won back to back NC at USC in 2003 and 2004.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I wasn't counting NFL championships only college, but that was my decision. It wasn't clear what the intent was there. Most of the pro leagues in the US arrogantly declare their champions "World Champions" rather than national champions.

Ya well in football, believe me, the NFL team is the world champ.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Whoops! I read the page wrong. Yup - back to backs.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Damn it @surly, no comic sans or purple print your slipping this yr.

I need to try harder. Memory is slipping, evidently yes.

I see the Gameday crew has Ku going bowling. Les for COY. But then again, they do have bowling allies in Lawrence. Surely, that was the reference?

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He was at ISU at a time when there wasn't much for definition of the program in general so perhaps with a foundation he's fine.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
To be fair to Messingham, Tom Herman and Mark Mangino also both failed as OC under Paul Rhoads. His time at ISU is probably not a representative sample.

Yeah I don't remember ISU exactly being what the rest of the Big 12 wanted to be during Herman's years in Ames.

Wasn't there something where CPR would push for bubble screens no matter what even though it really wasn't a strength to begin with?

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I recall that Messignham's offense would often score on the first drive then spin its wheels for a while. He had a decent scripted game, but didn't fare well vs adjustments.

CM was a part of some good ISU scoring efforts here and there, but i always felt it was due in part top the pace of play and possessions. Regardless of all that ISU had an assembly line of QBs that would look great their first few times out there, then level off at mediocre at best. Defense routinely stunk so mediocre QB play wasn't going to get it done.

I think when Mangino took over, ISU ironically enough could never score on their first drive.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Maybe, just maybe, Paul Rhoads was telling Courtney Messingham what plays he had to call. K-State was heavy on the halfback dive plays last night but only ran one bubble screen and one read option. The bubble screen was good for 5 yards. The read option darned near got QB Skylar Thompson's head knocked off. I would not look for it to be called again in the near future.