Coach Messingham, I've seen both pluses and minuses ...

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
LOL. Yes, it was against an FCS (11th ranked) school, but I saw nothing in the 49 points Mess laid on them to suggest he's not a P5 level coordinator. One game doesn't tell a season's story though.

Good for him, hope he does well. But he was awful here at ISU - one of the worst we’ve ever had...and that’s saying something.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
LOL. Yes, it was against an FCS (11th ranked) school, but I saw nothing in the 49 points Mess laid on them to suggest he's not a P5 level coordinator. One game doesn't tell a season's story though.

I'm one of the minority that thinks CPR was the major factor in assistant coach failures. Mess was hamstrung here as was Herman. But I don't think Mess tried to bang any Olive Garden waitresses...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Statistically? I'm too lazy to look up the numbers. Herman parlayed his tenure here into the tOSU gig, and while Mangino was a jerk (or worse) I'm not sure he was statistically worse?

Mangina's failures when taken as a percentage of mass wasn't too bad.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm one of the minority that thinks CPR was the major factor in assistant coach failures. Mess was hamstrung here as was Herman. But I don't think Mess tried to bang any Olive Garden waitresses...
I guarantee you Magino did some NSFW things with those breadsticks.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Statistically? I'm too lazy to look up the numbers. Herman parlayed his tenure here into the tOSU gig, and while Mangino was a jerk (or worse) I'm not sure he was statistically worse?
Which is a better indicator of how a coach was as Iowa State’s OC, their stats as the OC at ISU, or their job elsewhere?

For example, by resume Mangino is potentially one of the best OCe we’ve had. But as measured by the offense in his time here, he was bad.

Mess did just as well running Herman’s offense as Herman imo

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Relative to Bill Snyder's offense, we were all amazed at how Mess ran his Saturday. 360 rushing; 210 passing. A ton of rotations and very fluid. But that was against Nicholls, I know, I know ...

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Relative to Bill Snyder's offense, we were all amazed at how Mess ran his Saturday. 360 rushing; 210 passing. A ton of rotations and very fluid. But that was against Nicholls, I know, I know ...
If I were a KSU fan, I would have viewed the first game as a HUGE success. It wasn't just a decent win - it was a thrashing. Look at KU last year - they lost to a Nicholls St team that was arguably worse than this year's version. Again, time will tell once KSU goes up against P5 competition. But I would be thrilled with Saturday's results if I was part of the EMAW crowd.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

We were never going to have the horses here to truly run Herman's offense.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

A Messingham Offense has done that before. See below for his two years at Iowa State. Pay close attention to points scored agains good defense. Look super close.

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 12.47.24 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 12.47.49 PM.png