Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
At least Nevada and Utah have 80 mph speed limits while Colorado and Nebraska have 75 and Iowa is 70.
It's funny, you get on a highway where he speed limit is 80 and if you just jump up to 80 it seems awful fast. But if you just slowly creep up there eventually you look down and see you're doing 90 or higher and it doesn't feel any different.
I've ridden I-80 across Nebraska and looked down while in the pan handle and was doing close to 100, tried to slow down to 75 and next you you know you're back at 90

Reactions: BoxsterCy

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
This is the most Midwestern statement I have ever seen.

Travel culture across the U.S. is one of my favorite little things. We don't think twice about long drives while you get on the coasts (especially East Coast) and if they are leaving town they would never consider driving no matter what.

My wife and I are planning to drive to New Orleans because the travel time is only 7 hours longer than flying and $600 cheaper.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
It's funny, you get on a highway where he speed limit is 80 and if you just jump up to 80 it seems awful fast. But if you just slowly creep up there eventually you look down and see you're doing 90 or higher and it doesn't feel any different.
I've ridden I-80 across Nebraska and looked down while in the pan handle and was doing close to 100, tried to slow down to 75 and next you you know you're back at 90

When travelling from Houston to San Antonio, the limit goes to 75. I didn't go much past it, since my truck got REALLY thirsty past about 77-78 and gas stations were fleeting.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I won't really have a lot of time for site seeing (I have been to Arches before) as I need to get back for a race. It's going to be like a Cannonball Run trip lol.

But before leaving LA I am going to drive through the Scientology Gold Base because I have been watching a lot of documentaries on those weirdos and want to see it first hand.

Plan is:
Thursday - LA to Denverish (or a ski town) with a stop in Vegas to eat (buffet).
Friday - Denverish to Home
Are you going to be dressed as a priest?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Atlanta is the worst. Haven't flown as much as I drive but I've been through my share of airports.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
LA to Denver is 15 hours - so yeah that's a little ambitious. Maybe I will revise for LA to Grand Junction, CO which is 11.5 hours so that leaves me a couple hours in Vegas.

Grand Junction, CO to Newton, IA is 13.5 hours so that isn't bad.

I actually will probably actually stay outside of LA when I get there on Weds night so I don't have to deal with LA traffic when trying to leave Thursday morning, so that will help with the timing.
Honestly, dealing with LA traffic could double the length of the trip.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Atlanta is the worst. Haven't flown as much as I drive but I've been through my share of airports.

You might want to allow extra time at MSP here in Minnesota. They are remodeling (again) and the security lines are a total clusterfuck. Compounded by TSA security staff shortages. Maybe it will settle down some but Monday morning was reportedly really bad. Supposed to be like this until later in December. My old favorite workaround, a little check-in on the far end of the parking ramp, is closed due to staff shortages.

During last years construction and rerouting TSA and MAC pretty much lied through their teeth about the wait times. Think they are doing the same again this year.

http://www.startribune.com/long-tsa-checkpoint-lines-try-patience-of-msp-travelers/553909732/

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
You might want to allow extra time at MSP here in Minnesota. They are remodeling (again) and the security lines are a total clusterfuck. Compounded by TSA security staff shortages. Maybe it will settle down some but Monday morning was reportedly really bad. Supposed to be like this until later in December. My old favorite workaround, a little check-in on the far end of the parking ramp, is closed due to staff shortages.

During last years construction and rerouting TSA and MAC pretty much lied through their teeth about the wait times. Think they are doing the same again this year.

http://www.startribune.com/long-tsa-checkpoint-lines-try-patience-of-msp-travelers/553909732/

Although, nothing was worse than customs in Mexico last February. Something like an hour and 20 minutes from off the plane before I even got to luggage.

SKm23C9OvqlDJTbjMBAkuS4FOL5kgcbADP1dk7rdUUTuDZrFgJO5dNtfN3bY0pg_Rz-VcHcK3nq9hva2_dkcYYIjRAU-1Go2UrYDKq-DjKPGrzPBSntwm0vQnnspnfS83jARRTk3XY8iIpSHmulo4sdi4CqTeSgBpPGwvMs7E-zUMgJBJIhKgTFBfs0sbMcNaHDATxVvVdHZfR3KESVRK0cVjx9oKCwPqgQrXFQyxyuhWfs2gpnV2xDh9loRBBQQRUkwDDX4W-fr_UpEjJe-ndoyERQmE2cXGDKsYzLQBlfN0E9g0lZK9jsR1EWvwTrrJneUn8W1RcdCWptfXp9EBrLfnXoHjI8c6A2ZKFrnS3IDw9pVl-XYzcSQ8i6JhHhqa47BxEzlzfLxoUEPglTMN_tqeWPY9rIOY32iB7FLkq45F-BvXPaVW2Tp01tkfr5DkKdz3EionP8mE6CDgiYko13C116o6A5oHiFruOI7_Hhj-1JMEh9m6WQw69HZpOcV_nGdVv5JaCpA9UUxDEbCgRTkoy9EMLypr_qJatVHHzbdbFYGMacDWLdRkc7fWCV4tiwGP0J5sGxZ3MTD55t4Jboy7AvH_g2SMcmWiBj8Y7wFfPXZPiuSu7nwBLKqlFyY-qsqBWek5hDH5biU36YyY023geCMO1o=w834-h625-no

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

I have been relatively lucky with security checks. Denver is crazy to me though. As far as I could tell there's only 1 check point? I've only been through their twice and first time was arrival so I didn't have to do security check on that occasion.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Although, nothing was worse than customs in Mexico last February. Something like an hour and 20 minutes from off the plane before I even got to luggage.

SKm23C9OvqlDJTbjMBAkuS4FOL5kgcbADP1dk7rdUUTuDZrFgJO5dNtfN3bY0pg_Rz-VcHcK3nq9hva2_dkcYYIjRAU-1Go2UrYDKq-DjKPGrzPBSntwm0vQnnspnfS83jARRTk3XY8iIpSHmulo4sdi4CqTeSgBpPGwvMs7E-zUMgJBJIhKgTFBfs0sbMcNaHDATxVvVdHZfR3KESVRK0cVjx9oKCwPqgQrXFQyxyuhWfs2gpnV2xDh9loRBBQQRUkwDDX4W-fr_UpEjJe-ndoyERQmE2cXGDKsYzLQBlfN0E9g0lZK9jsR1EWvwTrrJneUn8W1RcdCWptfXp9EBrLfnXoHjI8c6A2ZKFrnS3IDw9pVl-XYzcSQ8i6JhHhqa47BxEzlzfLxoUEPglTMN_tqeWPY9rIOY32iB7FLkq45F-BvXPaVW2Tp01tkfr5DkKdz3EionP8mE6CDgiYko13C116o6A5oHiFruOI7_Hhj-1JMEh9m6WQw69HZpOcV_nGdVv5JaCpA9UUxDEbCgRTkoy9EMLypr_qJatVHHzbdbFYGMacDWLdRkc7fWCV4tiwGP0J5sGxZ3MTD55t4Jboy7AvH_g2SMcmWiBj8Y7wFfPXZPiuSu7nwBLKqlFyY-qsqBWek5hDH5biU36YyY023geCMO1o=w834-h625-no

when my step daughter flew back from London to LA last Friday Customs computer system was down, she said that was a lot of fun.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I have been relatively lucky with security checks. Denver is crazy to me though. As far as I could tell there's only 1 check point? I've only been through their twice and first time was arrival so I didn't have to do security check on that occasion.

Last year they went from three main checkpoints at MSP to two, because "efficiency". Now they have the two and I have not flown through when they were fully staffed. Always closed lanes and unused equipment.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Travel culture across the U.S. is one of my favorite little things. We don't think twice about long drives while you get on the coasts (especially East Coast) and if they are leaving town they would never consider driving no matter what.

My wife and I are planning to drive to New Orleans because the travel time is only 7 hours longer than flying and $600 cheaper.

The general consensus in Washington, DC is that you do not drive...

North of Philadelphia... if not Baltimore... just take a train.
East is okay, out to Delaware and the beaches.
South past Richmond or Charlottesville.
West past I-81, but for some people, never west of IAD.

Something like this...

upload_2019-8-20_13-57-22.png

• Informative
Reactions: wxman1

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The general consensus in Washington, DC is that you do not drive...

North of Philadelphia... if not Baltimore... just take a train.
East is okay, out to Delaware and the beaches.
South past Richmond or Charlottesville.
West past I-81, but for some people, never west of IAD.

Something like this...

View attachment 65777

I can't imagine not wanting to drive anywhere.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and VeloClone

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

That's what they want you to think! There's actually one (or used to be, haven't flow out of Denver in a few years) on the bridge that not many people know about.